Hurting , painful bottom of feet? Especially in the AM???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vmiller, Jul 12, 2008.

1. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I'm having the strangest thing happen. When I get up in the middle of the night, the very bottoms of my feet HURT - and I mean really hurt. Almost to the point of not being able to walk on them. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking on hot needles.

When I get out of bed in the morning, it is pure torture to walk down my steps to the kitchen, but my strong desire for coffee prods me on...

Anybody else experience this, and if so, is there anything that can be done to stop it?
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

That is how my plantar faciitis started. Thats when the tendons in your feet, mostly heels, shorten while you are sitting or sleeping and then when you get up they have to re-stretch causing terrible pain.

It is possible that you could have this.

It can come on suddenly and can leave just as quickly or it can stick around. There are treatments for it...just google it. Special stretching exercises can help.

Just a thought.
  3. Auntiecyn2

Auntiecyn2 New Member

A very good thought too. I would bet it's Plantars. When I had it the pain was so bad I really could have cried. Look up the stretching exercises. Anti-inflamatories are helpful if you can take them. Sometimes it progresses to heel spurs which can be helped with cortisone shots. It can take a long time to resolve so get going on treatment asap.
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have the same thing and plan to see a doctor asap. It is not "needles and pins" more of just painful and a knot in the arch area of my feet.

I was wondering if walking barefooted on hardwood floors is causing my problem.

"Needles and pins" feeling is called paresthesia and can be caused by poor circulation, or damage to the nerves from things like Lyme Disease, autoimmune disorders, etc.

Best thing seems to be for us all to see a doctor!!

Plantar fasciitis, formerly called "a dog's heel" in the United Kingdom, sometimes known as "flip-flop disease" among US podiatrists, is a painful inflammatory condition caused by excessive wear to the plantar fascia of the foot or biomechanical faults that cause abnormal pronation of the foot.

[1] The pain usually is felt on the underside of the heel, and is often most intense with the first steps of the day. It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing or sudden changes in weight bearing or activity.

Obesity, weight gain, jobs that require a lot of walking on hard surfaces, shoes with little or no arch support, and inactivity are also associated with the condition.

This condition often results in a heel spur on the calcaneus, in which case it is the underlying condition, and not the spur itself, which produces the pain.[1]

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've got the tops of my feet killing me. They're blowing up and hurting alot. And I have no idea from what. It's not the shoes I'm wearing. It's something weird in just the last few months. The only med I take regularly is Pepcid AC, and I even stopped that for a few days to see if that was doing it, and it didn't seem to be.

But I have had the severe heel pain mentioned in this thread. That was my shoes at that time. As soon as I stopped wearing the kind of flats I was wearing, that cleared up.

But now I've got the weird tops of the feet thing.
  6. Meg1710

Meg1710 New Member

You may need to see a Podiatrist.

The best thing I have found for Plantar Fasciitis has been custom-made orthosis. Secondly - shoes with the correct support. One without the other has never worked for me.

All the best.......PF is not nice!
  7. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

here in Australia we call them spurs I have them on both feet many years ago I had cortisone injected and have had no pain since
    they hurt I think when they are inflamed
    my dr blamed high heels when I was young
  8. vmiller

vmiller New Member

THanks for your replies. I will try to get in to see a podiatrist soon.

The only relief I can get is to put on my Payless version of Crocs. They help alot. I've been wearing them for the past two years, and practically live in them. My foot problems have only cropped up in the last month or so, but they do seem to help when I have them on.

Thanks again, all

9. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I have been tested for Lyme, just a couple of weeks ago, using Western blot. It was negative.

Thanks, though.
  10. jmq

jmq New Member

I can barely walk in the mornings but its not really the bottom of my feet...its my ankle joints. They hurt so bad to put any weight on them that I limp for the first half hour or so that I am up. Also have it in my other joints too...but the ankles are the worst.

11. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My PF affects the whole of my feet. When it is really bad (especially from walking) then the sides and bottom of my feet burn as well as hurt and the top hurts. A lot of the time when I lie down or sit down I can feel my feet throbbing.

This pain to me is different from my "fibro pain". I have had FM for 30 years now and I can tell the difference in my "pains".

I tried with the exercises but they hurt too much and I tried wearing running shoes only when I go out but I don't go out much so that didn't help much.

The regime I am trying now is wearing running shoes (good ones) in the house at all times if I am standing or bare feet (I will admit I cheat sometimes) and I have these special "boots" I wear when sitting or lying down that keep my feet at a 90 degree angle so it keeps the tendons stretched out. I thought these "boots" were really going to hurt but they don't, they just feel a little weird till you get used to them...they kinda look like ski boots with no fronts just straps...molded plastic mostly. I don't have to wear the boots ALL the time...I don't wear them when I am sleeping and I try to wear them a couple hours at a time a few times throughout the day.

This regime has started working for me. It is hard to stick to everything all the time but it has been making a difference.

It is possible that what you have is not Plantar Faciitis and is your FM or something completely different. But since we really need our feet I think it's probably best that you go and see a foot doctor to rule out anything terribly severe and possibly get some treatment and relief.
  12. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

hi! My understanding of the foot pain is that it might not be plantars or spurs or anything else like this but is simply one more symptom of the FM/ME. Since the illness affects one's nervous system, and since the feet have a huge number of nerve endings, it makes logical sense that one would feel a great deal of pain in the feet. I sometimes have feet that burn (as do my hands...this is listed as an ME symptom on their web site) At other times, my feet throb and feel hot and swollen even tho they are not. Sometimes my feet feel as tho they've been beaten across the bottoms with a stick -- I don't wnat to put them on the floor. Sometimes they feel stiff in the joints as tho I have arthritus. Like all my other symptoms, these feet problems wax and wane.
  13. smeyers

smeyers New Member

I have burning on the bottom of my feet sometimes, but when I stand up I also have the pins and needles. But I have huge problems with my feet, including short achilles tendons which my orthopedist wants to operate on and I don't have time for.

My aunt has the burning also and her doctor said it's the DN.

Anybody know the difference between the Plantar's whatever and the neuropathy?
  14. Empower

Empower New Member

I am going through the same thing

I think it is Plantar Fas.

Husband thinks it is from wearing flip flops too much

I think he may be right

Right now, I have on my tennis shoes and I hate it!

But the pain on the bottom of my heel is REALLY bad, sooooo
  15. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

I have foot pain in the morning and have to shuffle for alittle while to get going. But it's not PF...I've had that before back when I used to wear flat shoes. BOY was that painful! I wear shoes almost all day long even in the house because my feet are flat and I never want to have PF again. I think mine is related to FMS since it is new to me (foot pain and FMS) and I know it's not PF. Every morning with out fail...the whole bottom of my feet hurt, not just the heel.
  16. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I am sure that I have PF. HAve been doing some stretching exercises that I found on webmd. It's really been helping a lot with the pain.

Good Luck
    Sue in ONtario