Hurts to Take a Deep Breath

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by greatgran, Jan 3, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hurts when I take a deep breath on left side
    near rib cage and back..Is this part of the
    DD? Anyone had this?

greatgran
  2. Rosario

Rosario New Member

With symptoms such as you described, it's a good idea to consult a doctor. It could be anything or it could be fibromyalgia.

My first symptom (25 years ago) was painful breathing and chest/rib pain. I was afraid I was having heart or lung trouble and went to the dr. right away. I was diagnosed (at that time) with muscular arthritis which is what they used to call fibromyalgia.

Nowadays, I can tell if an episode of breathing/chest/rib pain is fibro-related by tapping on the small bones in my chest. If they hurt like the dickens when I touch them (feels like they're terribly inflamed), I know it's fibro-related.

So, it may be fibro in your case, but I would definately recommend you see a doctor to have it checked out.

God bless,
    Rose
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I can remember having these symptoms years ago before I ever bacame ill..I went to the doc and they scared me to death..
    First they thought a collapsed lung, then
    a blood clot, plursity (excuse my spelling)..Turned out to be just inflammation and was given aspirin and bed rest took about 6 weeks for it to go away
    but it did..Guess thats what it is now.

It acutally doesn't seem as bad when I am up and moving about but today is one of those feeling so tired stay in bed days..

Just thought it might be a cfs or fibro
    symptom..If it gets worse I will go to the
    doc.. Then too I was trying to get Christmas decorations down and could have pulled something . I never know if its the
    DD or something different. I do feel I over react at times...

Thanks,
    greatgran
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

dont just pass this by ,get checked you are older and it could be serious,if nothing is wrong at least you played it safe.And your doc knows what all is bothing you.Things are not always this DD.It could be another DD ;)
  5. gramma23

gramma23 New Member

I am new but I know that when it hurts to take a deep breath you must see a doctor. Like the others said it can be many things but it may just be fibro. There is no where on my body that does not hurt 24/7. I think we tend to pass everything off on fibro but we really need to have some things checked out. I was diag. in 1991 but I had this long before they knew what to call it.

Hope you feel better soon!
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I saw your post and before I pushed onto the message I knew what you were going to say. I h ave the exact same problem.
    NyroFan
  7. Hoops

Hoops New Member

Certainly get this checked out by your doctor but I have similar symptoms and was diagnosed with costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the sternum. My ribs are quite painful and at times it's hard to expand my ribs to take in a breath. I had cardio and pulmonary work ups done and they were fine so it's coming from the costo in my case. Mare
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks all, still not sure what is going
    on but it is getting better. Only hurts
    a little when I take a deep breath under
    my left shoulder blade..

My doc is suppose to call me this week about some labs so I will ask him and if
    it gets worse I will go get checked..

I am now having acid reflux or heartburn
    from the bufferin I have taken. Seems we just can't win..

greatgran
  9. Just4Me

Just4Me New Member

yesterday.. but one of my major symptoms was a sharp pain on my left side, rib cage and chest when I took a deep breath..
  10. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi greatgran, How about pleurisy, could be a part of this "possibly caused by a virus or chronic infection" stuff. Its really easy for a dr to check out.

First, they listen for the very specific noise sounds like grating sandpaper between the inner and outer lung sacs. Any doctor worth his saly will recognize the sound

Then, they send you for a chest x-ray if they think it is pleurisy and this x-ray should come back "negative" if it is plurisy.

If still not sure, a CT scan with dye or ultrasound can see the stuff.

Im no expert, but all this happened to my spouse.
    Good luck. Peace
  11. Majella

Majella New Member

Hi I havejust done a posting on that, I have that at the moment it is causing me sleep problems, i cant even turn in the bed. I take diazapam 5mg, amithripline 25mg and kapake 500mg each night.
    if you get any further info on this i would be grateful if you passed it on to me. I have FMS. What is DD

Kind regards

majella
  12. another_painful_day

another_painful_day New Member

Costrochondritis...I still have boughts of this on and off. Some days worse than others. It landed me in the Hospital over the summer. Go see a Doctor and feel beeter soon!!! Gentle HUGS!
    P.S. Costrochondritis is VERY common for Fibromyalgics to have, anything can cause it to flare up from viruses to just plain old stress or fibro flare, so yes this is and can be a common symptom of the DD.
    -Diane
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been in bed over a week now with
    a flare..You would think by now I know
    one when it hits but each time there is something a little different..As of now
    I am not having the pain when I take a deep breath so think I will be ok until
    the next one..

Of, course I am still waiting on the doc or his nurse to call..

Love and prayers to each of you,
    greatgran

14. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have had the same type of pain and I don't take a deep breath when it hurts to breathe. I learned about chostochronditis when I was in my teen. It is an inflamatation of the ( darn fog can't think of the work I need ) anyway it is where your ribs that are bone meet you sturnum which os also bone but they are attached by cartlagiage I think. So every breath you take moves and hits the nerves move with your breathing. YOu could always take my old doctors advise when I told him that it hurt to breathe " IF it hurts to breathe , then don't breathe" HA HA or you could be getting bronchitis or plurisey.

So with my NON medical non dregree I would have to tell you that your best bet would be to See your doctor and find out why it hurts to breathe and if he tells you to " Change Brands , Menthols might help" Andother of my old MD's jokes I don't smoke and never have, but he thought that it was funny.Just smack him up side the head and ask him if his head hurts . NO I am just kidding. But if your haveing breathing problems and it is really hard to breathe go to the ER now . IF you hurt get to your doctor as soon as you can and find out what is going on .

Rosemarie