Husband had a question today I will pose to you!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tedebear, Aug 19, 2003.

1. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Have any of you had continual treatments from the pain doc?
    My husband asked me today if this was going to be treatments for the rest of my life to ease the pain. I have been getting various methods of pain treatments for 3 years now and my husband gets discouraged because he doesn't see me getting better. What he fails to understand is that the treatments are temporary but allow me up to 6 months relief each time.
    Anyone else go through this .... treatments and how do you explain this method of relief to your significant other?
    Thanks. SOFT TEDDY HUGS.
  2. healing

healing New Member

I have been receiving intensive treatment for about 10 years. My husband fussed but now understands that this is all that keeps me going. What changed him was that I insisted he go to my doctors with me: my DO, who provides my regular acupuncture/physical therapy/herbal and homeopathic remedies; and my rheumy, who provides ABX and took about an hour to explain my diseases (FM and reactive arthritis) and my disease processes to my husband. He took it all in and, although he really hasn't said much about it, he has been much more tolerant about the expense and inconvenience -- AND he has been truly thoughtful about how I'm feeling on my latest ABX therapy.

So take him with you to the doctor and let the doctor do all the talking. Hope this works for you.
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I am rarely without pain. When it occurs it is only for a few hours. The pain goes from dull and achey to sharp, sleep depriving hurtful pain. What medicines I take just take the edge off of the severe pain and allow me to keep working. My husband does all the grocery shopping, when I try to shop I can end up in tears by the time I get home. It takes me a day or two to clean for company and by the time they get here I feel pretty bad and have to take a pain pill just so I can try to maintain a pleasant attitude. I have had this for over 20 years and feel I will probably have it all my life. I am seeing a rhemutologist right now and will probably see a pain doc when this is over.

What kind of treatments are you getting? I'm glad to hear you get 6 months of relief and would love to experience that.
  4. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Glad to know I am not alone in this.
    I get epidurals, nerve blocks, gang blocks, trigger point injections. I also wear a patch when the pain escalates. When not using the patch I take Vicodin.
    Some relief is better than none.
    Soft teddy hugs.
  5. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've been in daily pain for more years than I care to think about. My doctor, bless his heart, had been trying to tell me for quite some time that I really do need to keep a steady level of pain meds in my bloodstream for it. (How's that for a switch?) I just wouldn't accept that I had to take meds for the rest of my life. I finally reached the point about a month ago where I couldn't stand the daily horrible pain. When I went to the doc this week, I told him I finally accepted that I couldn't conquer the excruciating pain with positive thinking or denial. I've started on a low dosage of oxycontin that will be titered up each month until I reach a therapeutic level. This time I'm going to keep with it the way it is prescribed and give it a chance, if it doesn't work, we'll try plan B.

Tell you hubby to think of it this way, if you had diabetes, he wouldn't question whether you needed your daily medications, would he? It's not easy, just take it one day at a time.

All the best
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Until there is a cure for FMS, there will be no cure for FMS pain, and ongoing pain treatment will be necessary. I have gotten off opiods for pain through the Guai treatment and Klonopin.

Love, Mikie