hydrocodone helps..but i'm confused

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by s--raquel, Nov 14, 2006.

1. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Does anyone take hydrocodone daily for pain?

I had a small operation last year and was prescribed hydrocodone and noticed that my cfs symptoms were helped
    dramatically....I continued taking them for cfs pain even after I din't need them for surgery pain.

After I ran out..I asked my family doc for some and she
    said absolutely not...highly addictive and no doc would
    give them for cfs that she knew of...

So for a year I have been taking large amounts of ibuprofen,ultracet and aspirin...None of these work....now I have acid reflux and raised liver enzymes!!!

I see a new doc this month and have heard he will give me
    hydrocodone for cfs(also supposed to be excellent with
    cfs patients!I am praying this is true!!!)

If it helps...and I can function on it...do I worry about
    the addiction?

I'm confused, scared, and also a little hopeful for some
    relief!

sorry so long....
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi honey.. I think that would be the next logical step up. If this doc does not help you, you may need to find another. He sounds good so far though.

Just start at as low of a dose as possible and see how that works. I was taking that for a while and then I had too much other pain, so had to be changed to a stronger med.

Let us know how yo make out.
    Hugs
    Kim
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

You may need a long acting med like oxycodone. You take one every 12 hours and then take hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. I don't have CFS, I have FM and CMP, so it just takes the edge off the pain for me.

It might be just what you need.

I see no reason to be afraid of it. You are in pain, and that's what this med was designed for. Very few pain patients get addicted to their pain meds. And if you did, it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, right?

Best of luck,
    Mini
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi mini... I think the long acting drug is OXYCONTIN and the shorter acting is OXYCODONE. I know the oxycodone (percocet) I take every 4-6 hrs, where as the OXYCONTIN is supposed to be the 12 hour (or close) drug.

Is that what you are on OXYCONTIN?
    Hugs
    Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2006]
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi, the problem with hydrocodone and most opiates, really, is they are usually not very effective by themselves. They need to be mixed with an NSAID like tylenol 3, vicoprofen, percocet, etc. I use vicoprofen but only for emergencies. Then the mixture is especially hard on the liver. You're better off trying something else. For cfs pain (which is more like an exhaustion, empty feeling rather than a regular pain), I take mineral pills and electrolyte solutions, believe it or not. And my friend with FM takes prednisone (like 20 mg and then tapered down to 5 right now) for her pain. There are cautions with prednisone, like being careful with the adrenal grlands so they don't stop producing hormones but don't think about opiate and NSAID painkillers long term without considering the effect on your liver. They can be quite devastating. good luck! karen
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

I discovered the same thing. A half a hydrocodone tablet allows me to get going when I have to when nothing else works. I don't use it often--in fact, a prescription lasts three months instead of one month. As far as I'm concerned, if it helps, hooray!
  7. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Thank you all for posting...I feel better about seeing this
    new doc now....He's probably known for being good to cfs/fm patients because he actually does something for pain (which means he believes it exist!!)

I'm just so used to docs/people not understanding my pain
    and why nothing is helping with it...."It should help...It
    helps my back,head,etc"....really, how nice, I must be a liar or a complete wuss then, right!?!?

I know I'm in pain and I know how it effects my daily life...I'm gonna have to let go of needing everybody
    to understand or believe me.....

Thanks again for your information and kind words...
    I'm sending "warm fuzzies" to you all!!!!
    Raquel
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi S--Raquel,

I think you should take it if it works for you and be aware of the side effects of it as you would for any med. It's hard to find a pain med that works, and it's great you found one that has helped you.

It's very unfortunate that this particular med has been greatly abused by so many people because it causes the medical community to be suspicious of ANYONE who takes it when clearly that isn't the case. (It's hard to argue with that, but it's ashame the abusers ruin it for the innocent folks like you and me.) I used to take it very occasionally when I was in severe pain. It helped my pain but caused severe nausea.

At any rate, there are other pain meds and other meds in general that have the potential to cause addiction. Awareness is important, and the monitoring of the med with your doc will help certainly prevent addiction. I hope it continues to work well for you. Best of luck! :)

Much love, Erika
  9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

It's so hard because we are in pain every day. Each person is different. One down side about hydrocodone, if you already have mood swings, it made them worse in my husband's situation. It is very addictive, but knowledge is power. You have to know what you can handle. I would research it a lot and decide if it is right for you. My research told me it was meant more for short term use, but get another dr.'s opinion. I hope you find something that really helps you out! Kim :)
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

What your family doc said is NOT TRUE, and its what many regular doctors think who do not have the experience treating CFS and Fibro. There is a BIG difference between addiction (taking a medicine to get a 'high') and dependance (taking a medicine because of an actual medical need). The statistics for people with chronic pain becoming ADDICTED to their pain meds is very low, because most people aren't trying to get high off their meds. They are just trying to make the pain bearable and get through the day.

It is MUCH better to see a pain management or rheumatologist for treatment then a family doctor. They simply don't have the experience or willingness to treat the symptoms of this illness. If you've found a medicine that helps your symptoms then you should be thrilled. As long as you are monitored regularly by your doctor, and take only what you are prescribed, then you don't need to worry yourself.
  11. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

helps my pain,too but I also have a hard time getting a doc to prescribe it and I in no way abuse any kind of drug.

One of the people who posted said it was really hard on the liver but I wonder could it be any worse than taking tons of Tylenol or how hard ibuprofen is on the stomach. I just wonder about these things. Most doctors will prescribe meds with a whole lot worse side effects and I don't understand why they won't just give what works and doesn't cause a bunch of other problems.

I rarely get a script for Lortab(hydrocodone) but when I do I savor it because it is about the only thing that really helps my pain. A script for 30 will usually last me months because I save it for the really bad pain. I could take it everyday and feel almost normal but like I said it is almost impossible to get a doc to prescribe it.

Also, I hate asking a doc for it because I feel like they think I'm a drug addict even though they know I don't abuse drugs of any kind.

Hope you can get your doc to prescribe it. MIP
  12. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

The same for me!! I had some (only a few) hydrocodone left after a bad sinus deal. It helped me too, I haven't felt so good in a long time. I wish I could use it too, since often I have pain that is not helped by the meds I do take.

I am holding on hard to the few left for my absolute killer days.

They say Xanax is addictive too and shouldn't be taken much, but I took it several times/day for 5 years, then just stopped- without any problem. My doc of course won't prescribe them They were the only thing that on top of that had no side effects for me, that one is rare since I am sensitive to meds.

13. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

they say valium is addictive too but I've been taking it for years on and off and have absolutely no problems when I stop them for long periods of time. I don't think doc's like to prescribe meds unless they carry 10 or more side effects that require additional meds and dr visits but that's just my opinion. MIP
  14. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

LOL!

It wouldn't surprise me!