Hyperactive Puppy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mjgkennedy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I have an nine week old Female Yorkie who is very hyper and biting everything including my hands etc. I have bought her chewy sticks to help with her teething. She still hasnt all her teeth yet and must be very slow as I thouight by then they would be all up.. She wont stop nipping our ankles either. She seems fearless and even when I say no in aloud voice she continues on.

I just pray when she gets her teeth she will calm down as I dont want to give her back to the breeder but it is not helping my health. I am wrecked and never thought I would get such a hyper puppy. My other Yorkie Teddy was not as hyper as this and didnt seem to have as much trouble with his teeth. The time of year doesnt help either with toilet training as the weather isnt great. She even tries to chew the puppy training pads. I have a play pen for her but she o nly goes to bed and wont play with her things when in it.

Does anyone know of a natural remedy I could give her to calm her a little.

Hope I havent gone on too long.

2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

How much and what are you feeding her? Puppies need more protein than adult dogs, but too much protein can have that effect.

Good luck, hon
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Mary

What about a herbal remedy such as Animals' Apawthecary’s Tranquility Blend containing

Valerian Root: Sedative, pain reliever, antispasmodic.

Skullcap Herb: Nerve tonic, sedative and anti-spasmodic.

Oat Flower: Nerve tonic, antidepressant, nutritive.

Passion Flower: Gentle sedative.

Hilton Herbs in the UK have a few herbal remedies such as Canine Tranquility (Valerian, Scullcap, Lemon Balm and Chamomile). They also sell Bach remedies.

My son has a 5 1/2 month old golden retriever who is very lively and chewing everything; he is easier to train though. My son says he’s going through puberty atm ;-)

This puppy likes to chew just about anything so my son and his housemates ensure he always has a safe bone and/or large chews for dogs from the local pet supplies store. The tennis balls he likes to retrieve seem to provide a chewing surface for him so they don’t last long. Fortunately he responds well to toys; though his interpretation of toys is not always the same as his human housemates.

This is a difficult time of year to house train a puppy. Good luck: I can imagine how demanding this must be for you.

TC, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2007]
  4. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I have a puppy, now 10 months old, who went through this same stage. She was also hyper and constantly biting our hands and arms. I read up a lot on this subject online, and kept getting the same advise.

In the wild, dogs communicate by vocal sounds. If a dog is bitten by another, it would yelp in pain. The biter understands that this caused pain, by the sound. So when your dog bites or nips at you, you need to "yelp" in a loud, sharp and unpleasant voice. You could just say "ow"....as long as it is loud, sharp and unpleasant.

Secondly, dogs live for our attention. Positive or negative, they want your constant attention. The worst punishment of all to a dog, is to ignore them. If your puppy gets all up-in-your-space aggressive, fold your arms together, look away and completely ignore her till she calms down. Then give her lots of attention while she is being good.

Both of these tips came up over and over, different wording, on different websites. It takes a little time to work, but it does work. You have to be patient and very consistent. Tell any other family members who are around the pup to also "yelp" and ignore, so the puppy will catch on even quicker.

My dog Hailey is no longer biting and aggressive, but she is still hyper. But I think that is just part of puppyhood. I expect her to mellow out when she reaches full adulthood.

As for the ankle biting...I never had to deal with that personally. You might try this: Get a small spray bottle and fill it with water. (The kind that adjusts from mist to stream.) Carry the bottle with you and when the puppy nips at your ankles, shoot a stream of water at her face.

Your puppy is precious in your profile picture! It's hard to imagine such a cute little ball of fluff having teeth.
  5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I have Yorkies too. I love them! I have 2 females and a male and I have an occasional litter of puppies. It seems to me that all the puppies have their own little personalities. I would call your breeder and ask if she still has any of the litter mates left and trade for a calmer one if possible. If not maybe take it back and buy a older dog, one that you can see how it is going to act. Puppies can be so hard to train, sometimes you are better off buying a dog that is already grown and trained.

I am so tickled, my dog "Zena" just had five little yorkie puppies! They are gorgeous! Healthy, fat little wiggle worms! They are only 2 days old! Three girls and two boys! I can hardly believe she had that many! I want to keep them all!

Take Care!

6. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

Thanks all of you who replied to my post about Poppy and Kellyann I have returned her to the breeder to-day as I couldnt cope anylonger and my health was suffering.

She bit my husband on the hand the other day and wouldnt let go. She snarled at me when I lifted her up and no matter how much I said no and put her back in her playpen and went out of the room it made no difference. When I lifted her out she would do the same again.

My Yorkie Teddy was never like that. You could lift him up anytime when he was a puppy and he never went for you hand. He wasnt as destructive either.

I will concentrate on getting my health improved now as my back and neck are killing me from all the bending. I cant see me getting another dog as I dont think I am able.

I Mary
  7. Trudysmom

Trudysmom New Member

Puppies are active and they mouth and chew. That is normal.
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I, a devoted dog person, think you made a really good call.

Someone else will have the benefit of the house training you did, the puppy hasn't bonded with you yet and is still young enough to be snapped up by someone with enough strength and energy for a wild little Yorkie.

You did right by that little monkey... I mean Yorkie!

enjoy the

9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You had a puppy with an Alpha personality.

The biting at your ankles, the growling, the biting your hands, etc. are all alpha characteristics. All of these traits were your puppy's way of telling you that she was in charge.

Out of curiosity, by any chance were your puppy training pads the ones that are supposed to have a "grass" smell???

My puppy went bonkers from the grass scent on the puppy training pads. I found the ones called smart solutions didn't cause this spastic behavior. With the grass scented ones, my puppy would grab the pad and run through the kitchen with it. She would rub her face in it and roll around on it. The grass smell made her act like she was strung out on drugs!

My puppy was an alpha dog. We had to use a very regimented training approach with her. She was a handful.
    There were plenty of weeks when I wanted to return her to the breeder.
  10. Lexiladi

Lexiladi Member

I have a 10 week old morkie. I was miserable because maddie was terrible just like yours. A trainer saved maddies life:). A bottle of bitter apple to spray on her mouth and a spray bottle with 3/4 water and part bitter apple that shoots a long way so when she is chewing on cords, shoes, etc. just spray the water and teach her "wrong"! Maddie still tries to chew but all I have to do is show her the bitter apple and she stops! If she hangs on to my pants as I walk I spray her with the water bottle. It works! I know her little teeth hurt so I always make sure she has something to chew on. An empty plastic water bottle or Pepsi bottle entertains her for hours! Hopes this helps.