Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by schnoodle, Mar 4, 2003.

1. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

I just started Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy in Santa Monica today. they supposedly have the best chambers in the world. It was an interesting experience. Went in for 90 minutes. will be doing this for several weeks, 3 times a week. I will keep you all posted if this is a help to me so that you will all know. I am praying it works.
  2. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

The people there are very nice. Their chambers are supposed to be the best in the world. It is a clear chamber and you can watch t.v. through it while you lay there for your treatment. Quite expensive, I believe $550 per treatment. I have a workers comp attorney and had to get a court hearing to get it approved. But finally, it is happening. I have great hopes for this procedure. I feel fine today, I mean, I don't really notice a change but I did seem to do more today than usual. But really it is supposed to take time. They said that after about a month I would notice a good change. The thing is that even after you are through it keeps working in your system for several hours, healing. Hope you and everyone can get this treatment. But I will know more as time goes on and get more treatments whether it is really what it is cracked up to be.
  3. healing

healing New Member

I so much want to try this treatment! Am still looking for a doc within reach of the Wash DC area that will prescribe use of a chamber, and an organization with a chamber that will allow use by an FMS patient. My doc says he will support this for me only with an experienced doctor's supervision because I am so reactive. Can anyone out there help me??????
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is a simple breathing exercise y'all can do and it is in our library. Dr. Paul Cheney has an article on this breathing exercise. I do it all the time. Now, it isn't going to take the place of the HBO treatment nor the oxygen rebreather treatment, but it's simple, free, and it is supposed to help our bodies use oxygen more efficiently.

I grew up at high altitude, so my system is already efficient at using oxygen, but I do this exercise daily.

Love, Mikie
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Dr. Cheney's breathing exercises..I read about that and tried that method and I really feel short of breath afterwards..I often feel like I need oxygen, especially, walking up stairs..and wonder if I need to move to much lower altitude... Jelly, you said that you have taken OLE-well, I have tried it for the last few days and I have really reacted strongly with extreme herxing..Has it done that with you? lol, amelia
  6. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

There is a doctor that monitors you while you have the procedure done. They watch you very carefully and you can get out anytime if you are having a problem. I think that a lot of hospitals have them, but they might be different types. Check to see what kind they have and maybe your doctor's prescription would get you the treatment. I start this Monday going 3 times a week for about 40 sessions. I will keep you posted.