hypermobile joints

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by jess, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jess

jess New Member

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has this with Lyme? During a PT session my therapist tested me for this because she suspected it. On the Brighton criteria I scored 6 out of 9. 4 out of 9 means you have it so my score was higher.

She says with this kind of joints I am more prone to arthritis. This is why I was wondering if it is caused by Lyme although I thought your joints were stiff with Lyme. Thanks, Jess
  2. jess

jess New Member

Hi, thanks for your info and time. It is much appreciated. I guess not everything is attributed to Lyme. There are people who have this and don't have Lyme. I probably had this for a long time and didn't realize it because I usually have stiff muscles and joints. This only came up at Pt after several weeks of working on my left shoulder. She noticed hypermobility in the shoulder and elbow so she did the test. My shoulder has improved so that is why it was noticed. Thanks again for your response and be well, Jess
  3. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

Jess,
    I have had hypermobility joints as long as I can remember. It sure makes the arhritis worse. My mom used to tell me not to throw my hips out of joint, because someday I would regret it, and now I see why.
    I was diagnosed with FMS in the 80's and then was tested positive for Lyme about three years ago. I have no idea if they are related. My siblings don't have lyme or the joints either.
    Take care,
    Lynda
  4. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a genetic cause of hypermobile joints. This condition is a genetically-dominant trait, and goes back in my family as far as my great-great-grandparents. As you can imagine, there are a *lot* of relatives on that side who have it....

and I can definitely say that those who have the hypermobile joints DO have more arthritis problems in those joints.

It makes sense, doesn't it? The joints are looser, so they slop around more, causing more wear, which is really what osteoarthritis is.

I see a rheumatologist for FM (I was diagnosed with FM before I found out I have Lyme). The rheumy isn't as sure of the connection between hypermobility and arthritis, because he says hypermobility is kind of rare and its effects haven't been studied much, but he agrees with the logic of why it *might* cause arthritis.

All I can say is that in my family, there's a definite connection.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
    PS.. On your question of the arthritis/Lyme connection: I think the kind of arthritis that's connected to Lyme is more like the rheumatoid type rather than the osteo- type. Not to say a person can't have both.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2008]
  5. jess

jess New Member

Hi thanks so much for this info on this syndrome. I did some research on it and there are other symptoms of it also. For ex, stretchy skin. I have this on the backs of my hands. There are some other ones which involve facial features and also mentioned is Osteoporosis and Pnemothorax. My Mother had severe Osteoporosis and my son was born with Pneumothorax(collapsed lung ). All this has got me wondering if this is what I have. Do you know if there is a test for this syndrome? Thanks again, Jess
  6. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

but it's pretty expensive and most doctors won't want to bother unless they think you have one of the more dangerous types.

The Type 3, which used to be called "Benign Hypermobility Type" is far and away the most common. They usually just test for it with the Brighton scale and testing the degree of skin stretchability (back of the hand or elbow area are common.) Along with a family tree of who has the characteristics.

The other types are more dangerous. Sometimes life-threatening. But you have to keep in mind that because it's genetic, the types run true in the family tree. That means you won't have Grandpa with Type 1 and Uncle with Type 3 and Mom with Type 2. They'll all have the same type.

And really, with the Hypermobility Type there's not a lot you can do for it anyway except look out for overstressing the joints or dislocations. I wish I had better news for you.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hypermobile joints have long been considered as a predisposing condition for FMS, and much FMS is really Lyme, so I would call that a connection. My Physical Therapist told me about the connection back in the ealy 1990's when he dx'd my hypermobility.

I've read somewhere that Lyme causes a shortage of collagen and a surplus of elastin. This imbalance leads to sloppy valves as well, which is one reason why so many of us have Mitral Valve Prolapse, GERD, and weak ileocecal valves causing leaky gut. This problem can also cause varicose veins, and hemorrhoids, as well as collapsed ear lobes, and that strange symptom of the vanishing fingerprints that CFS people often get.

I have hypermobile joints, esp. my knees, but it is not genetic. It started when I got Rheumatic Fever as a teen, and the knees were painfully dislocating so often, that I eventually had surgery on both of them, which did not help much. I still can't sit cross legged, or sit back on my haunches, and have to be mindful to bend my knees a bit when I stand, or they go out the back way too far.

klutzo
  8. jess

jess New Member

Hi Klutzo, thanks for this great info. It really hit home for me. I scored 6 out of 9 on the Brighton. I really don't believe it's genetic. Although, my Mother had Rheumatic fever as a young person and at 15 developed varicose veins.She had bad arthritis and severe osteoporosis. I always wonder if I inherited something from her such as spirochetes or FMS. My 2 children have some of the same symptoms as I do and were frequently sick as young children as I was. I think FMS or possibly Lyme over many years has caused this for me. My Lyme test was iffy so My Dr. still hasn't decided yet to treat me for Lyme. This is an LLMD. He's treating me for heavy metals and EBV so far. I am not better. Thanks again, Jess