Hypermobility syndrome?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Jan 30, 2009.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I was diagnosed a while back with hypermobility syndrome when I went to see a new rheumatologist for my pain. I hadn't heard of it before then, but he explained it somewhat, saying it's basically that you're double-jointed (or at least partially--I can't fully touch my thumb to my wrist, but I can get pretty close) and you have thin skin, so you get bruises, stretch marks, etc, very easily.

Is there more to this than these two things? I mean, can hypermobility syndrome actually cause pain in itself, or cause any other sorts of problems? From what he said, it sounds like it's basically just bruising a lot that's bothersome. I can't really find a whole lot on the condition.

I've heard a lot of people with FM talk about hypermobility recently, so I'm guessing it might be one of those comorbid disorders that sometimes accompanies FM?

Anyways, anyone have any information on this condition? I'd really appreciate it :].
  2. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I seem to have a mild fom of hypermobility...can sit in a 'w', thumbs curve back. You're right about it being comorbid.

I did a little googling(think I searched fibromyalgia + hypermobility), and found that it may also make the veins a bit more stretchy.

Looks like muscle strengthening exercises may be a good idea. There also may be a susecptability to neck injury. So be careful when going to the dentist, or if having an operation.

I also appear to have a lower back problem called SIJD, that seems connected to hypermobility.

Sorry, can't point you specificly to info.
    I'm sure others can tell you more.

Hope this helps
  3. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

The theory is that hypermobility means soft tissue is extra stretchy. The thought is that this includes tissue in blood vessels. So the stretchy blood vessels, so the theory goes, can cause low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension. Now, the orthostatic hypotension has definitely been linked to CFS. study showed 97% of people with CFS have the orthostatic hypotension.

When blood pressure drops or is chronically low, then the cells are starved for nutrition and oxygen. The lack of oxygen has the worse effect. Fatigue is common with that. A sudden drop can cause a person to be dizzy and even faint. And a person who faints from this can have a seizure when they faint.

4. simpsons

simpsons Member

i have met a friend who has this she is in a lot of pain and her joints just pop out all the time. she is on major amount of painkillers. i believe she first got it when she was pregnant and placed more stress on her joints because of the weight she had gained.

i does seem to be very serious for some who have it. i have put the web site below if you would like to check it out it seems a very good website to me. very clear and easy to understand

Connective tissue proteins such as collagen give the body its intrinsic toughness. When they are differently formed, the results are mainly felt in the "moving parts" - the joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments - which are laxer and more fragile than is the case for most people. The result is joint laxity with hypermobility and with it comes vulnerability to the effects of injury.

The Hypermobility Syndrome is said to exist when symptoms are produced, a state of affairs that may affect only a minority of hypermobile people. It is probably more correct to refer to Hypermobility Syndromes (in the plural) as a family of related genetically-based conditions which differ not only in the particular protein affected, but also in the degree of difference of formation. Thus at one end of the spectrum are the diseases with the potentially serious complications such as Marfan Syndrome or Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Vascular Type (formally EDS IV). At the other end are what is now called on good evidence Benign Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (BJHS) and Ehlers-Danlos Hypermobile Type (formerly EDS III), which may be one and the same. These may cause troublesome and persistent problems, but do not affect the vital organs and thus do not pose a serious threat to life.

Although there is still much to learn, understanding of these conditions is advancing and the knowledge gained can help people deal with the various aspects