hypersensitive, you too?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Sep 27, 2009.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Long time since I've posted here. I've had fibro for the past millenium or so, sort of at a steady state lately. However, I find that I'm hypersensitive these days, to the touch of things on my skin-- clothing, the table I'm resting my arms on as I type, seatbelts in the car, etc etc.

The seatbelt is just plain annoying. The pressure from it is irritating and annoying and gets painful after a while. I have one of those fake shearling seatbelt cover things, but it gets irritating too. If I wear a coat or a sweatshirt it's not as bad, but I miss the days when the seatbelt tension was adjustable.

Sometimes the world in general is painful to be around.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions or suggestions, especially for the seatbelt problem?

air hugs, Beth.
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Sights, sounds, smells, clothing. Just everything. The light hurts my eyes. All sounds are too loud. I can't stand the smell of other people's colognes and stuff. And even clothing bugs me.

The seatbelt, I don't wear it in my car, even though you can get ticketed. I do wear it in other people's cars when I have to. And it really does bug me.
  3. thisonecoolgirl

thisonecoolgirl New Member

The seatbelt hurts, but I haven't figured out anything to do about it. When I get cranky with it, I think "would it feel better to go flying through the windshield?" and try to think of something else. Driving in and of itself is painful - EVERYTHING is too much. The honk of a horn jolts my system to the point where I have to pull over. The sun is too bright, even with sunglasses. I'm constantly flipping between the heat and A/C - the temperature is never right. Driving past a McDonalds, the smell of grease makes me gag. It's like my senses are trying to overcompensate for everything in my body that ISN'T working.

Sometimes the sensitivity is worse than others. Today isn't bad, except for everything seeming so loud. Yesterday I was crying because my sheets - my 800 thread count imported Italian sheets - felt like they were rubbing me raw.

I keep remembering when I was little and I would ask my mom what was wrong and she would say "honey, my nerves are just shot." It didn't make sense at the time, but I certainly understand now.

Air hugs indeed :)
  4. loto

loto Member

are what i'm hypersensitive to lately. I absolutely "freak out" at loud noises. It's not so bad at home, but at work it's so hard. There's a lady that sits in the same office as I do, and her voice is soooooooo loud and raspy that I just want to crawl under my desk and cover my ears. It's worse than finger nails on a chalkboard.

I don't know how we're supposed to deal with our hypersensitivities, does anyone else?
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

no suggestions, but just wanted to tell you that I can totally relate....I am so super sensitive to so many, many things....I have MCS and tons of allergies, too, so that's part of the reason why, but I am sure the fibro and ME probably play a part, as well......noise absolutely drives me nuts, scents (even the lightest, barely noticeable ones), certain lights and visual stimuli, medications, all sorts of types of fabric, many lotions (even unscented ones), even many tastes that I used to enjoy now bother me
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

Noises, lights, vibrations, patterns (especially houndstooth in fabrics), synthetic fabrics, all bother me too. When I make the mistake of mentioning that at work or elsewhere in the 'normal' world, people just look at me like I'm crazy. I tell them I'm the princess in the story about The Princess and the Pea.

I made the mistake of agreeing to go to a movie with my family last weekend, without knowing what the movie was about. It was called "District 9". VERY violent, loud, and subsonics in the soundtrack. I don't know why I stayed, but I was shaking and sick by the time it ended. No one else was bothered...

Is it any wonder I stay home a lot?
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have found a wonderful little plastic seat belt clip that completely solves the problem. You clip it on to any seat belt and then adjust to the way it's comfortable for you. They are very inexpensive. I've been using them for years.

I will look up the mail order company that I got them from if anyone is interested. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2009]
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I'd very much appreciate knowing where to get the seat belt clip. Thanks!
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I looked up the companies and found two that sell them online, wdrake.com and mileskimball.com.

I've ordered things from both these companies and they're good to do business with. These seat belt adjustors are not exactly the same as the ones I bought years ago, but they're similar. Just go to the websites and type in seat belt. Let me know how it turns out. Also, you might want to Google seat belt adjusters. Happy motoring! GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2009]