hypersensitivity to smell/yeasty body odor only I can smell. .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by easydancer, Oct 21, 2008.

1. easydancer

easydancer New Member

Has anyone else experienced this while on Cymbalta? started taking it on Sept. 5...now notice (I think, what I perceive to be a yeasty odor...either in my nose or in my hair...seems worst when I sweat which I do more frequently now. (That I know is a possible side effect.) However, when I talk to my boyfriend about it (we do not live together but spend every weekend together so he would know>), he doesn't smell it and swears that I do not have an odor of anykind, other than my regular smell. We have been together for three years. I also seem to have more sensitive hearing lately...noticed that over the weekend at my mother's house, , I heard an electronic beep from another room that no one else could hear. PS: I do not have a yeast infection of any kind in or on my body that I know about...have carefully checked all the sensitive areas...nothing evident....and I don't smell it all the time, but at least once or twice a day.

Am I nuts? Rotting from the inside out? Have brain or sinus fungus? or just another weird thing that I seem to have developed?

Help somebody...this scares me a little since I can't explain it.

2. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Realtively soon after coming down with CFS in '91 I became smell sensitive to auto exhaust, rubber and on occasion my own body. The latter not detectable by others. I detected a bicycle inner tube stored some fifteen feet from where I was sitting.

I have now and always have had a "lousy" noise so the experience was disconcerting. It rarely occurs now nor do the various and sundry other strange symptoms.
  3. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

Just a quick question on have you changed the deoderant you use recently? Are you using a new soap or shampoo?
    Actually, long before anything else started to bother me, I have been very sensitive to some smells. Potpourri has made me sick to my stomache for years. There are some perfumes that I can't even have a bottle of in the house becuase I get sicker and sicker until they are removed. I chalked it up to some kind of alergy to some oils for lack of any better explanation.
    I some times get a "whif" of something I can't quite figure out what it is.
    I just thought it was me ... I do have times when I cover my face with what ever is handy to block what I am smelling that I don't like when I am out.
    Maybe it's just a fibro thing.
    As far as my hearing goes.. I can hear things that other people in the room don't hear. If there is a person talking loud off in the distance I can hear the voice but not make out the words. I always called it "mother's ears."[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2008]
  4. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

I am on Cymbalta just started taking it in August. In September my doc increased the dosage I am taking 30mg right now. it is a low dose and he will increase next month. But I have noticed the body odor on me also. I have not changed deodorants or soaps I get very self concious. I feel dirty all the time. My underarms and private part have a strong odor. I never had this before. I dont perspire much only if I do alot of extensive exercising or something like that then I sweat. But lately I perspire more than usual and even sweat. And I smell myself as if I havent showered in 2 days and have been working out and sweating like an animal and I feel gross. I thought it was just me. I havent asked my husband if I smell but he hasnt mentioned it either. And he would have if I did smell. I guess the embarrassment keeps me from asking but I will ask him tomorrow. I shower in the morning and again before he gets home from work. But I am glad its not just me.

As for the hearing thingy. YES i hear everything and it bothers me so much. Sounds irritate me. Some times I feel like the sound is amplified and other times I am fine. This crazy FM does so many differnt weird things to us.
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Forgive me, I know I'm not spelling it correctly, but I wonder if Cymbalta affects our "smeller", so that it changes how we perceive smells. It may not be that our bodies actually smell different, just that we perceive it differently... Just a thought...

I have such a hard time getting a thought across now, that I hope you all can understand what I'm trying to say. Lots of love to all! Debbie
  6. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Although I do not take Cymbalta I do have sensitivities to light, odors and sounds.

I too hear noises that others usually do not hear. For instance I can hear trains that are miles ways and the interstate traffic which is about three miles from home. I can hear the neighbors pool pumps/vacuums running etc. It's always weird because I hear them and try to make out what they are. The hearing part doesn't annoy me it's the fact that I'm not sure what they are that is annoying. That's when I make my husband stop everything and help figure out where it is coming from and what it is...he usually finally hears and helps me out! (Is this an OCD thing?)
    Odors are differet in that I don't much care what they are unless it's a gassy type smell then of course I am just concerned about it being a hazardous thing.
    Of course it almost always isn't but thank goodness I have noticed a stove knob that has been turned on by my 90 year old mother in law when the fire was not lit. This happened twice just last winter. I noticed it when neither she nor my husband did. Count have been a disaster if I hadn't come home and noticed!
  7. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hi Patti,

I'm not on Cymbalta, so I know my issues aren't related to that.

I have noticed, however, especially lately, that I am definitely hypersensitive to smells, sounds, tastes, lights, etc.

I am very sensitive to smells and can smell things that my husband is not smelling. I also wondered about some kind of sinus fungus or something weird like that. I know I have sinus issues, have had chronic sinus congestion and runny nose for YEARS, which is much worse lately, so I was wondering if maybe its some kind of infection or something. But I get these whiffs of things and it just gets to me. Sometimes, a certain food may smell really strong to me or smell just a little bit off, but my husband either can't smell it or says it smells normal. Its enough to turn me off from that food. I can often smell myself, and while I do have sweating issues, my husband doesn't smell it. The last week or so, I keep getting this whiff of what smells like raw sewage or something, seems like from outdoors. I thought maybe someone in my complex was having a plumbing problem, but my husband doesn't smell that either. Kind of freaks me out.

The sensitivity to everything else (light, sounds, taste) drives me crazy too. I wonder if this is something affected by our central nervous system? Just another part of it malfunctioning maybe?

8. saleem

saleem New Member

I am Male-37, since last couple of weeks I am smelling Yeast, it does not come from my body- i asked my wife & she said I smell alright, but some how 2 or 3 times in day I smell yeast. It might be from nose, or hair, i dont know what cause it.
    I am Vegitarian, been using same dioderant sice last 10 years, and when I excercise this smell becomes very prominent.
    What this could be ?
    makes me nut...........
    does any one has got similar problem...can anyone suggest some remedy?
  9. mgerrish

mgerrish New Member

Yes, I am on Cymbalta and I have it too...but the odor is midway between my armpit and my elbow. ALso, a che che sound in my head occasionally. My husband also claims that he cannot smell the odor on me, but it is pungent to me. You are not crazy.

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2011]
  10. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

Having body odor is not normal. I dont know about cymbalta--but in general i know that people with cfids --including myself--can smell really badly.....this is an indication of sickness within the body--one thing i found out for myself--through all the channels of healing i implored and the people and books i learned from is that odor may come from many causes---very common to this illness and other illnesses are: autointoxication, putrifecation, systemic yeast, chronic constipation, not full evacuating the bowels, medications, concealed constipation, being generally toxic and systemically ill,--now dont think your grand medical doctor is going to have a clue about any of this.
  11. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

also--if your sweat is especially malodorous--suspect heavy metal toxicity. and a metal smell in your mouth--can be heavy metal poisoning and mercury overload....also suspect copper....see a natural healing professional versed in metals......good luck....remember nothing will change unless you do. dont wait for your doctor to tell you all of this.....and dont think another pill is going to get rid of odor.....
  12. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

when I take Topamax. I asked my neuro about this, and he asked me, "where do you smell?" I replied, "my armpits", although I wanted to say, my privates, my urine, my breath. I felt systemically poisoned. [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2011]