Hypnosis anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Mar 6, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

I just saw an ad on the tube about the value of hypnosis for the tx of depression, etc.

Well, I thought facetiously, perhaps cfids sufferers can be hypnotized into not having cfids. When I thought about it I realized that I had not ever read a post about the use of hypnosis for cfids/fm.

I wonder, half seriously, if anyone here has ever tried hypnosis for these dd's. I am feeling pretty odd and awful tonight so I think why not hypnosis. The way I feel right now I might try anything to not feel so yucky, icky and crappy.
  2. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I took a class in hypnosis after I had a very expensive session. I found it gives me a temporary boost. Kind of like a cup of coffee to give you a quick energy boost. It didn't last or make any lasting changes. I use it mostly when I get down as it gives me a gentle mental pick me up.

Take care,
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm not sure hypnosis could make us "not have" CFIDS or Fibro.

I actually have a script for hypnotherapy but haven't used it. There is a person here in town who does it a lot for medical professionals. He requires a prescription from your Dr. He does it a lot for chronic pain - cancer patients etc., helps women through childbirth etc.

He also does that standard smoking cessation etc. That worked for my brother from day one - which I really didn't believe in. He actually 'forgot' he smoked. Weird. (but true)

Anyway - I'm not sure how I feel about it - but I'm glad you asked the question so that I can hear other's answers as well. I would guess that if it's too help pain that it would be a temporary thing. That would be okay with me.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I was a hypnotherapist, my DH was a licensed clinical psychologist with a PhD in neurophysiology.

He used it extensively in his practice for chronic pain as well as other things, like treating severe anorexics/bulimics.... I used it with people for less serious things.

Hypnosis/imagery (no matter 'how' it's done or what it's called) helps to shorten time needed for behavioral change. Deep relaxation trances can lower pain levels.

And of course Symington's work with cancer pts did show there was a better chance of beating cancer.

SO- never say 'never' with the mind. I have not always been the best at using it for myself, but I have done a few minor miracles on myself with it - once took away poison ivy within 24 hours.

We made personal tapes for pts to use at home 1x/day or more, as they chose/needed. With severe cases like eating disorders (some were 70#), it usually took 3-6 months for things to start changing. Time is usually the key.

It's rare to get miraculous results quickly, thus it's cost-effective to make tapes. 2 sessions for instance for depression would not be of much help; and should be coupled with a good behavioral psychologist and other medical help as necessary. 6 months even is nothing compared to the number of years some of the eating disorder pts had spent in therapy and in-pt clinics.

You could make your own cd/tape for yourself, there are plenty of 'scripts' available likely on line for all sorts of things. Just as long as they're all positive suggestions and not 'shoulds', 'musts', etc. Just a thought... as I head to bed... sweet dreams everybody!

all the best,

PS I do still use positive mental imagery on myself. Likely I'm not as bad as I might've been? but that's hard to measure. I'm sure there would be, overall, benefits if a study were to be done, but would likely have a wide range of results.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2010]
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

here's a blog by a guy with CF/FM/Lyme about using 'self talk', rather interesting:

(Nope, I don't think this is Kurt from Phoenix rising either!)