Hypnotherapy Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, guys, I said I would give y'all an update after a few sessions. I've had three sessions and what it has done for me has been amazing.

It's not like I go into a trance or cluck like a chicken or anything like a Vegas act. I simply lie down and relax while my therapist speaks to me in a slow and soothing voice. She inserts several visualizations which I can use on a daily basis to help me relax and claim back my authentic self (my words) which was why I sought out her help.

After being sick for a long time, it is easy for us to lose ourselves in our illnesses. We may even "become" what we have and lose our individual identity itself. I was struggling with underlying anger and some PTSD. I was beginning to feel like a pawn in some sick game of demonic proportions.

What the therapy is doing for me is giving me some tools to take back my personal power. It has produced a paradigm shift in my thinking and, therefore, my life. Like all profound changes in life, nothing is different and everything is different. I am just looking at my life from a new perspective.

The visualizations are very simple, like having a "healing color." I can sit and relax and call up my color which helps my mind and body remember how to be well. My therapist tells me that our bodies have memory just like our minds. When we have been through a lot (who here hasn't been through a lot?), our minds and spirits get clogged and bogged down with debris which needs cleared out so we can heal.

One of the most powerful tools she gave me is the ability to turn adversity into a feather which I can put in the palm of my hand and simply blow it into the air which carries it away. I can imagine my stressors as feathers whenever I start to worry. It has taken a ton off my shoulders. Does it change anything? Yes and no. It can't make bad things go away, but it can help me not to worry about them. Most of the things we worry about never happen anyway.

I've been swimming upstream fighting for my health like a warrior. I have finally found some things which are helping me, but in the process, my emotions and spirit have taken a real beating, not only from my illnesses but from life's stressors too. Now, I see myself as being more in control and not victimized.

This isn't the end all therapy, but like all my other treatments, it's working synergistically with everything else. I am obviously a big believer in the mind/body/spirit connection.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, guys, I said I would give y'all an update after a few sessions. I've had three sessions and what it has done for me has been amazing.

It's not like I go into a trance or cluck like a chicken or anything like a Vegas act. I simply lie down and relax while my therapist speaks to me in a slow and soothing voice. She inserts several visualizations which I can use on a daily basis to help me relax and claim back my authentic self (my words) which was why I sought out her help.

After being sick for a long time, it is easy for us to lose ourselves in our illnesses. We may even "become" what we have and lose our individual identity itself. I was struggling with underlying anger and some PTSD. I was beginning to feel like a pawn in some sick game of demonic proportions.

What the therapy is doing for me is giving me some tools to take back my personal power. It has produced a paradigm shift in my thinking and, therefore, my life. Like all profound changes in life, nothing is different and everything is different. I am just looking at my life from a new perspective.

The visualizations are very simple, like having a "healing color." I can sit and relax and call up my color which helps my mind and body remember how to be well. My therapist tells me that our bodies have memory just like our minds. When we have been through a lot (who here hasn't been through a lot?), our minds and spirits get clogged and bogged down with debris which needs cleared out so we can heal.

One of the most powerful tools she gave me is the ability to turn adversity into a feather which I can put in the palm of my hand and simply blow it into the air which carries it away. I can imagine my stressors as feathers whenever I start to worry. It has taken a ton off my shoulders. Does it change anything? Yes and no. It can't make bad things go away, but it can help me not to worry about them. Most of the things we worry about never happen anyway.

I've been swimming upstream fighting for my health like a warrior. I have finally found some things which are helping me, but in the process, my emotions and spirit have taken a real beating, not only from my illnesses but from life's stressors too. Now, I see myself as being more in control and not victimized.

This isn't the end all therapy, but like all my other treatments, it's working synergistically with everything else. I am obviously a big believer in the mind/body/spirit connection.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think the more I get into the visualizations in her office, the easier it is for me to use them at will. I'm a very visual person, so that is one reason this works well for me. My imagination works overtime.

I have designated the next six months as my "official healing period." My only job is to heal myself. I am very fortunate to be alone and able to do this. Not everyone is in this position, but I am going to make the most of it. Of course, the downside is that I have no one to snuggle up to or to help me around the condo.

I do Tai Chi and I meditate like the Buddists do and also, I meditate on my chakras. I have plateaued on my diet, so I also need to jack up my exercising.

My last therapist told me that people with our illnesses need to become very organized to diminish the problems we suffer due to our fog and cognitive problems. Part of my healing is to get everything in order and cleaned out. I am getting rid of stuff and simplifying my life.

Basically, I guess I'm at the point where a lot of stuff I've been doing is coming together. I hope you can start using some of your new tools. Give it some time. I usually meditate to relax before leaving for her office and I usually slip 1/4 tablet of Klonopin under my tongue to help me relax.

Love, Mikie
  4. selma

selma New Member

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy that it's working.
    I have a suggestion for all.
    Get a bottle of bubbles the ones that you buy for kids.
    Take a problem that you can do without. Blow a bubble and put your problem in that bubble and watch as it floats away. Then it disappears as it breaks.

Love and hugs, Selma
  5. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

mikeie: i glad it's helping when lst sick and stil able to trvel i drove 30 miles to pad. ky to the only hypo th. around it helped me relax, but we didn't kow i had cfids

since then i've gone hombound sicker and sicker, i have trobule visualized pain, lack of pos. thinking cause so many things ahve failed, i 'd try again, but in rural w. kky. no likely i find a good one like you or be be able to travel but is it exp?? is there a list of hyp. therapist, i guess paducah ky would be closest to me, and i can't drive,

write me if you will god bless and good luck Paul M.

paulstory@iolky.com
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have been following along too with you on the hypnotherapy. I havent tried it myself.
    Now, I am interested in it myself a little more so. I am so happy its helped you to get a grip on things, not feel victimized, and having more control over your life.

I so believe in the mind/body/spirit connection myself.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Selma, I really like the bubble idea even better than the feather. Thanks for that image.

Paulmark, I have a mental health benefit through my health insurance. My co-pay is $25 a visit. I just lucked out with this therapist. I've used psychiatrists, psychologists, and a therapist with a Masters Degree. The woman I have now is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and probably has a Masters Degree in Social Work. In any case, like all things, the Universe and God sent her to me because I feel I was ready to take charge of my life. It's so easy for us to start losing control an inch at a time. I hadn't realized how even a strong person like me can start feeling like a victim after a while. Call your local county mental health department to see if they know of someone in your area.

Sunshyne, thanks for your good wishes.

Love, Mikie
  8. LynneH

LynneH New Member

I think it's great that you have found something that is so positive and healthy for you. I have always believed that we have to try ways to be physically better AND ways to be mentally and spiritually fit. If we don't have the last two things, the first one ain't gonna matter much. lol
    LynneH
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's really good to see you posting. I've missed you.

Love, Mikie
  10. ladydi

ladydi New Member

To Mikie and All,
    Good afternoon to all,
    This is a very interesting post. It made me think of a
    great story that "Shoobie" posted on 9-14 over on the
    Chit/Chat side.

Go to the "Search Message Box" and put in "The Window"

If you hav'nt read it, it's a great story. I kinda thought it fit this thread. If you have read it, was'nt it
    a great story?

As always, my 2cents worth.
    Warm Fibro-Hugs to all,
    LadyDi
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Reminds me of the story of the old farmer who used to go out to his fields and sit on the fence which ran along the road. A family in a car stopped and told the farmer they were moving to the nearby town and wondered whether the people of the town were friendly. The farmer asked them if the people in their old town were friendly and they said, "Yes, they were." The farmer said, "I think you'll find the folks in our town pretty much the same."

Pretty soon, another family stopped their car and told the farmer they were moving to the nearby town and wondered if the people in the town were friendly. The farmer asked them if the people in their old town were friendly. They said, "Oh, no. The people there were so cold and unfriendly; we didn't get along with anyone. That's one of the reasons we're moving."

The farmer said, "I think you'll find the folks in our town pretty much the same."

I am starting to view everything with a new perspective and it is making a big difference.

Yes, JoEllen, it does seem that many of us are finding treatments which are helping us. This is a good group of people who like to share what is working for them. Also, as a group, I think we are all realizing how important it is to not give up, to keep our bodies moving to the best of our ability, to integrate our minds, bodies, and Spirits, and to start taking a much broader view of our illnesses and our healing.

Love, Mikie

Love, Mikie