HYPOGLYCEMIA.....Did yours show up on Glu test??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm going in at 7:30 tomorrow morning for a bunch of lab tests including a 2-hr fasting glucose tolerance test.

I've been tested twice during my pregnancies and the hypoglycemia never showed up.

Thing is, my best time of day is between 9am and noon. I crash around 2pm. That's when I need to be tested!

I have tested myself right when the crash feeling comes on it shows between 50 and 60. So I know it's there it just doesn't show up on the GTT.

Have you had this experience? Is your Hypoglycemia secondary to anything else?

Sofi
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
  2. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

My husband is a diabetic and he kept telling Drs. for years that I had trobule with my sugar dropping, they would run the quick sugar test and kept saying no it she doesn't. Finally the Dr. I have now listened to him and ran a more detailed test, sure enough I was hypoglycim. It would have been nice if they would have paid attention before this. I would go thru the dizziness, grumpy, shocks, feel like I was going to pass out, and they would say they could not find out what was causing it. Finally we found a Dr. that would listen.
  3. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

What do you do for this? Dieting? Medication?

Years ago I had this test and it came back normal but they did it because I had a fasting glucose level of 53! So the Dr. said I was hypoglycemic but I can't remember what I was supposed to do;)

Thanks for any info.
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

My mom was a lab technician and suspected hypoglycemia when I was in college, but even a five-hour glucose tolerance didn't find anything.

Fast forward to my late thirties...I did a lot of reading, and it seemed like some of the symptoms I was having were directly related to low blood sugar. True to my do-it-yourself nature, I bought a blood glucose monitor and taught myself to use it. Then one Saturday when I had a whole morning to myself, I drank glucose solution and tested myself.

I think I ended up testing myself seven or eight times. In addition to before, I also threw in some 30-minute intervals, and one specific non-interval time when I had some more obvious symptoms. According to everything I had read, and the deep drop at about 2 1/2 hours, I was having hypoglycemia of the reactive type. A 2-hour test wouldn't have picked this. (My low point was in the 50s.)

A few years later I had a fasting glucose level as part of normal blood testing that came back at 41. That's a *fasting* glucose level. I do not have diabetes (have been tested). Mostly I test normal for fasting glucose now, but I've been told by more than one medical caregiver that I have wacky glucose levels secondary to pituitary irregularities, which are supposed to be fairly common for PWC.
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

With the reactive-type hypoglycemia, if I knew that it was my pattern to have a big drop at about 2 1/2 hours, I would eat a little protein snack about 1 1/2 hours after a meal -- peanuts, some cheese, etc.

That, along with lowering carb intake, or always eating carbs with protein, did help.

I'm glad that I made the effort to figure out what was going on. When I started w/the FFC, I told the doctor my history with this. She said that it was good to know, because some of the medication she might have put me on has a tendency to lower blood glucose. And since I already had some pretty low levels all by myself, she would skip that particular medicine.
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I just got back from the GTT. I'm pretty sure the Hypoglycemia won't show up because I wasn't crashing when they took my blood.

Of course an hour later I started shaking and getting the blurred vision - the whole gammit!

I wish they would just let us tell them when the symptoms are starting so they could draw the blood then.

Now I'm afraid it will all come back normal again and the Dr will be done listening to me.

It is so difficult to get validated with this!

I know it's there!!! They just need to listen to me.

Sofi
  7. serenety

serenety New Member

I went in hospital for a 72hr fasting test. And it took 72 boring & hungry hrs but finally it reared it`s ugly head........don`t get me wrong, what i mean is they weren`t happy until it went down to 2.5......all my body decided to do was quickly release it`s suger store.
    But in the end i got the answer that i`d been waiting years for. Yes i do suffer with Hypoglycemia.
    What did the doctor recomend ? That i treated it with Carbs & only sugar when i am in hypo.
    Serenety.

Oh yeh the could give be tablets but they could actually cause diabetes.
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

It's not that I need them to validate the Hypo - I already know it's there. I've found it when testing myself.

(Although it would be nice to rub in the face of the Dr who refused to believe I could have a glucose of 50.)

It's more that I believe it indicates another possible problem and justifies looking for that problem. Hypo doesn't just happen on it's own. I believe it has something to do with adrenal dysfunction or some endocrine issue.

I'm frustrated because if this lab comes back normal I'm afraid they stop helping me find the answers.

Sofi
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

do you think your doctor will listen if you tell him how you felt later, and order a 5 or 6 hour test?

I did the 6 hour test, but only lasted 1 1/2 hours - my blood sugar plummeted from 115 to 50-something in about 20 minutes and I passed out and seizured (even tho I do not have epilepsy). One of the things I was told to do was to 'prime' myself with eating extra sugary stuff the few days before.

You know, tho, I would never tell anyone to do what I did, because it took me a very long time to get my sugar stabilized, used to have to carry food with me. But I just had to find out too... and I paid for it. Granted not everyone reacts so quickly and drastically, but still - it was difficult, so just a warning.

IMO it came from eating a lousy diet on my own, altho I did have symptoms of CFIDS from having mono for a year. Not sure about another link such as infection or -- ? It's always amazing to me how overlapping, altho not exactly the same, all these diets are.

I would hope they would not stop working with you because of a negative on a test anyway.

hope this helps,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I do think I would do things differently if I could do it again. I know what triggers me. I would set myself up to crash before going so they could really see it.

I know what triggeres me.

I struggle with the hypo every day. I have to carry snacks every where I go and that doesn't always stop the crash.

I have very few productive afternoons because I just can't get past 2:00.

I just wish I had more than my word to prove it!

Thank you all for your tips on getting the tests to show the problem.

Sofi