Hypoglycemia??? I need answers "please"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Aug 24, 2006.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Hi everyone,

I need some help figuring out if I may have hypoglycemia!

I have episodes where I get weak, VERY nauseaous, and just plain SICK feeling it comes out of nowhere............the last time it happened I had eaten 2 1/2 hours before the episode so I thought for sure it was not because I needed to eat.

BUT..............after hours and hours of the worst nausea I tried some chicken broth ( it was torture to eat when my tummy felt so sick) but right after I started to feel better...............

I am on a low carb eating plan so I eat no refined starches, sugars etc...............

Does this sound like hypoglycemia?

Thanks for your help!
    XO
    Doxy
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

my tummy hurts...been constipated...had a nice bm...sorry letting you know ahad of time...

cody already asked me if i was ok...i fell asleep on the bad w/aching tummy..

the only real test is to give blood...

thanks

jodie
  3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

But.........does this indeed sound like "hypoglycemia"?

Just want to make sure ............we all know the Dr's are the last ones to figure it out for us! LOL

XO to you Nanna
    Doxy
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

excessively and at worse get disoriented and can't move. It never fails that I don't realize why and luckily my friends all know to tell me.

But as the last person said, the only way to know for sure if to test your blood sugar. If I lived close to you, I'd give you one of my extra glucose monitors. Maybe you have a diabetic friend that has an extra you can borrow for a couple of days?

The doctor can do a fasting blood sugar test and an A1C that tells your average over time. The bad part is that it really doesn't give you a reading when the episodes happen.
  5. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

A couple of hours after eating a sugary snack or a high carbohydrate meal. If you eat fruit, sweets,or breads without protein it can may have cause your blood sugar to rise and then fall rapidly. Blood sugars become elevated just after you eat and usually normalize at about two hours later. Some people's blood sugar goes up and then plummets at about two hours after they eat. The best way to tell would be to have a glucose tolerance test. They can test your blood at intervals after you consume glucose and this will give you an idea what is happening.

If you choose not to be tested or cannot afford it, be sure to eat a little protein with each meal and break up your eating into five or six small meals a day. Keep a snack or juice near your bed so that if you wake up in the night feeling like this you can boost your sugar back up. Remember, if you have an episode of low blood sugar and you drink juice (or east something sweet)to fix it, please eat some protein very soon or you will have another episode. Good Luck!!
  6. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I have the same thing after I eat my blood sugar goes down. My husband is a diabetic so we check it on his blood monitor. I have been as low as 60. I have just had a ton of blood work done and see my endocrinologist next week for results.

Hypoglycemia happens before you eat usually. Most hypos have to eat 6 small meals a day to keep their blood sugar level, not unlike a diabetic.

You are on the right track eating the way you are.

You might want to talk to the doc about this. Sometimes our pancreas does not work correctly or we can be insulin resistant and white products and refined, processed foods can be a killer for us.

I try and eat healthy, fresh fruits and veggies, lean meat,even pork, chicken and fish. I try and eat whole grains. I rarely eat pasta anymore.

If I cannot get fresh I buy frozen, I also use canned beans as I have not had good luck with dried.

Hope this helps.

louiesgirl2
  7. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

It could be hypoglycemia, but you should definitely have it checked out with your doctor. The symptoms of hypoglycemia include shakiness, sweating, nausea, lightheaded feeling, difficulty concentrating, etc.

I often have hypoglycemic attacks, and I know it's the worst feeling in the world. The best thing to do is drink a cup of orange juice or chew some hard candies. That should help get your blood sugar back up reasonably fast. Once your blood sugar drops, you need something with lots of sugar in it to raise it back up.

Do you have diabetes by any chance? If not, then I would not recommend a low-carb diet. Lots of people think that low-carb/no-carb diets are beneficial, when actually they are not. Same with fat-free diets...every body needs a good balance of fats, proteins and carbs. There is also a difference in good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs including things with more fiber and less sugar.

Hope this helps,
    Kim
  8. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

and I cannot eat a low card diet. It makes me dizzy and just plain sick. Eating a well balanced, no refined sugar diet in 5 small meals a day seems to work the best for me.

In order find out for sure, you may need a glucose fasting test...check with your dr.....and good luck!
  9. MsE

MsE New Member

When my blood sugar drops, I get weak, shaky, sweaty, and faint. I always keep glucose tablets and a food bar in my purse. This used to happen quite often--back in the early days of CFIDS--and it still happens when I get too hot. And yes, I have had episodes within an hour or two after eating. Hypoglycemia attacks can be sneaky.
  10. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Though everyone is different in some ways, the classic signs of hypo are hot/sweaty, shakey, weak, and hunger. Usually in that oreder. Nausia is not usually a sign of hypoglycimia, rather a symptom of hyPERglycemia. Depending on the diabetic type, a person could still run high sugars even being on a low carb diet. Those would be the T1 like myself. In any event, get this checked out soon!
  11. TerryS

TerryS Member

My daughters and I are all hypoglycemic. We become shaky, weak, and feel faint. BUT the first sign (with all three of us) is irritability. I told my eldest daughter's boyfriend - If she gets mean and grouchy, shove food in her face!!! (It's true!)

Anyhow, I know my youngest (15-yo) had significant problems last year at school including nausea (which was weird to me). Turns out, we both have mitral valve prolapse, as well as dysautonmia. If I'm not mistaken, the nausea could be attributed to the dysautonomia. And, if I remember correctly, a lot of people have dysautnomnia including CFS/FM people, not just MVP people. It's a glitch in the nervous system.

Hope this helps.

TERRY
  12. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Here's another question about hypoglycemia, and I hope someone has an answer:

My dr keeps trying to get me to go for "fast for 12 hours first" blood tests, despite the fact I and my file notes both tell him I have hypoglycemia.

I've had to get up in the middle of the night and eat... either that or pass out.

Bottom line, I CANNOT FAST. How can I get this man to understand this very simple thing??
    Lea.
  13. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I've found that I have to eat meat in order not to feel weak from hypoglycemia. No other protein works as well.

And in order to do the 12 hour fast, I ate meat right up until the time I had to start fasting.

I almost passed out while filling out the forms prior to the test, but at least I got it done : )

Don't they do these tests at the hospital if you know you are going to pass out ?

I didn't know, but I think the woman who was taking my info told me that as I was watching the stars circle around my head : )

xchocoholic

14. Empower

Empower New Member

I have it and get weak, shaking, start sweating, near tears, cranky and disoriented. This usually happens to me after 2 hours after eating a meal

Instead of going through that nasty 3-5 hour test, why not get a Glucose Meter??

I bought one for about $15.00 and it is pretty accurate
  15. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Copy/paste from your post:

Don't they do these tests at the hospital if you know you are going to pass out ?

Well, sort of. The blood draws and results reports ARE done, here anyway, at a local hospital.

I have told several people, before I just gave up on the fasting thing, that I will be out cold before they finished drawing the blood.

One little dear responded "I don't care."

That seems to be the attitude of medical personnel, pretty much across the board.

Lea.