Hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

Any hypoglycemics out there???

I have been for several years and usually can keep it under control if I eat every 2 hours, but today, I had an awful attack!! Scared the heck out of me!!

I went to church, and figured my blood sugar was dropping so I drank a juice I had put in my purse.

We did a quick grocery trip, and I stopped at Walmart.
    It was extremely hot in there.

I had to wait for my husband to bring the car around, and it was hot in the sun. I started to feel a little anxious.

By the time I got home, I was SOOOOOOO weak and felt I was going to collapse. I didn't think it was my blood sugar, because I had drank the juice. When I walked in the door, my husband got me a gingerale, but it took awhile for me to feel somewhat normal. I just thought I was going to pass out.

If it was indeed low blood sugar, this was the absolute worst experience.

Can anyone relay their epsisodes of low blood sugar?
  2. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I felt it a little in church too this morning. Eating low carb helps me a lot with low blood sugar. What kind of juice do you drink? Does it have sugar in it?

Sometimes what I eat the day before will affect me the next day and I won't connect the two. For example, if I didn't eat a lot of protein the day before, I will try to work out the next day and feel weak and low blood sugary. I hate that feeling. It takes awhile to get back to normal.

Also, I've noticed at times I'll think its low blood sugar bothering me when its really water that I'm needing. That has happened more than once.

Hope you are feeling better,

Sandy
  3. swamper

swamper New Member

I have severe CFIDS and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia a few years ago....the doctor stated that many hypoglycemics are low in Zinc and prescribed 220mg daily.....I noticed a difference within the first few days...now, with the dietary changes and such,I am able to keep the dose at 50 mg and am doing better....Before I knew what was wrong, I was having a horrible time with crying for no reason, fainting etc...you know the drill! I pray that looking into the zinc deficiency may help you. (in the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing, they also mention zinc to help with this condition)
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Zinc, huh?

Well, I have a magnesium/calcium/zinc pill (or vitamin) and have been negligent in taking it.

I know the magnesium is good for the muscles and helps with sleep, so I say I need to start back up on it!

Thanks all!
  5. scarflady

scarflady New Member

I keep hard candy in the house, car and in my purse. I found that it works in an emergency at least till I can eat something.

Scarflady
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

but found that eating something high in protein helped me when my blood sugar was low. You might try those crackers with peanut butter in them (handy for keeping in your purse).

Ellen
  7. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I get those too. Especiall a week before my period. Its so much worse. I find eating a few peanut butter and crackers helps. Its an awful feeling. It happend Saturday when I was out with my daughter and grandson so we stopped and ate and it was ok then. I too thought I was going to black out in the store.
    hugs, poodlemum
  8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I suffer from those feelings and learned to reach for the peanuts in my purse instead of candy. I have to eat protein every couple of hours.

Dr. St. Amand writes an entire chapter in his book, "What your doctor may not tell you about FM" on this subject. That's when I learned that was one of my problems. Get the book and read it and you will understand how to deal with it. Apparently it is very common for people with FM to have it.
  9. kaydee55

kaydee55 New Member

I had an episode where I thought I was having a heart attack. went to a cardiologist and had all the tests and everything was normal. He asked what my symptoms were..I told him and then he told me I had hypoglycemia. I take cinnamon 500 mg. I take 2 capsules twice a day with meals. also when you get up... eat something within 1 hour of rising. your body is still in the starve (fast) mode. I usually take 2 capsules right away with cereal. then later afternoon I take the other 2. I still get the episodes once in awhile, I just drink a glass of orange juice. it seems to work in about 5 to 10 minutes. discuss this with your doctor. when I tell people I have this, they assume I have diabetes. I tell them no this is part of my Fibro. I had this for years and didn't know that it was connected to my not eating in the morning. now I have a bowl of cereal(whole grain) within 1 hour of waking. There is also chromium picnolate that is also used for blood sugar problems. like I said ""TALK"" to your doctor. good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2005]
  10. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

Yes I bought a glocose monitor like diabetics use 3 years ago. My blood sugar would go down to 43 sometimes. This year when I get weak my blood sugar is 85 but it feels like low blood sugar. I think it has someting to do with chronic fatigue.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

I am glad you said that about 60 making you feel bad... I sometimes even feel bad when it is 70

Could be the Cymbalta?