Hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twjen, Nov 21, 2002.

1. twjen

twjen New Member

For most of my life I have gotten how blood sugar attacks.
    Been tested but it doesnt show up. It runs in my family and I have to eat every couple of hours to not have an attack. It seems ive heard others mention this also. Not really important weather it does or doesnt have to do with fibro., just find it interesting to know who else has had this problem and how common it is with fibro? I am finding simular things beside the norm. symtoms to be interesting in trying to comprehend some of this syndrome. So just going to keep checking with you all, maybe we can do a little research of our own together. THANKS for being there!
  2. twjen

twjen New Member

For most of my life I have gotten how blood sugar attacks.
    Been tested but it doesnt show up. It runs in my family and I have to eat every couple of hours to not have an attack. It seems ive heard others mention this also. Not really important weather it does or doesnt have to do with fibro., just find it interesting to know who else has had this problem and how common it is with fibro? I am finding simular things beside the norm. symtoms to be interesting in trying to comprehend some of this syndrome. So just going to keep checking with you all, maybe we can do a little research of our own together. THANKS for being there!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We do need to eat every few hours and the food should be protein, not carbs. Carbs will cause our blood sugar to elevate and then crash. Eventually it will cause insulin resistance and eventually Diabetes.

We do better to stick to high-protien/low-carb diets.

Love, Mikie
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I also have problems with low blood sugar. If I don't eat protein, I get the shakes and feel like I'm having an anxiety attack. I went to my doctor who sent me to a Diabetes Clinic for nutrition education. Basically, what happens is if you eat too many carbs, it metabolizes as sugar and causes the symptoms. To stop this, you need to eat protein. They also told me that you need to eat your carbs WITH protein. So for breakfast I have a piece of toast with cottage cheese. Sugar is a big no-no. Why not look up Reactive Hypoglycemia and see what you can find? Then you can go to your doctor and ask him/her to refer you for nutritional counseling. Good luck.
  5. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

YES!

I have FM/CFS and a bad case of hypo - I can't seem to get it under control no matter what I do -

Even if I do the protein thing and no sugar. Seems to make it worse

Any suggestions would be helpful - I have to eat every 2 hours and have gained 20 lbs!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To be really effective, we need to give up white rice, white potatoes, anything made with white flour, all forms of sugar except for fructose from eating low-glycemic-factor fruit, and high-starch veggies like corn, peas, beans, and carrots.

I know this sounds difficult, but it is possible and eventually the cravings for sweets goes away. I have lost 22 pounds eating like this and have greatly improved my blood pressure. Next week, I have blood work done to determine whether my cholesterol has been lowered. It's the carbs and not the fat which cause us to gain weight and which elevates our blood pressure and cholesterol.

Love, Mikie
  7. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

...but I've tended toward that even before the FM found me. My best suggestion would be to work out an appropriate diet with your doc and/or nutritional counselor, as we all have different nutritional needs. For example, a friend w/ long-term FM went on the Atkins diet, lost 20 pounds in like a month, and within 2 months went into remission after suffering for 15 years. Naturally, I tried it, and lost 2 pant sizes in little over a week (I don't own a scale, so I have to go by which clothes in my closet I fit into). I can't afford to lost that kind of weight, and simply increasing my protein/lipid calories did not do the trick. I had to add the complex carbs to start regaining the weight. I could handle being tiny, except my symptoms began to get worse, as well. That's why I think there is no "blanket" diet for us, just as there seems to be no blanket treatment. *shrug*
    Stormy
  8. dd

dd New Member

I was actually diagnosed with Hypoglycemia before the dx of CFS and FM. I think that I have had the HG for a very long time but the symptoms got worse after years of abuse with the wrong foods. I went on the Atkin's Diet over a year ago and my hypo symptoms have improved drastically. I have also lost over 90 pounds which was an added benefit. The first couple of weeks on the diet were pure hell and I felt worse instead of better because my body was adjusting to not having the "simple" sugars to feast upon. My body was also "mad" at me for not giving it the potatoes, rice, bread, pasta...etc...Now I don't even miss all that junk food. I don't even consider it a "diet" anymore, it is a way of life for me.

Take Care,

Debbie
  9. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

When my dentist said "surgical excision and titanium pins" all under general anesthesia (I do not "localize") I thought; no problem!

Okay. Got the steroids somewhat undercontrol ie. to 5mg. maintenance from 20mg. (of course all things come w/a price), next was diabetes. So this time instead of just the 120-marker I was to use an IQ Glucometer, and do pre and post prandial then bedtime readings for two weeks, atleast! Well guess what! I thought I had symptoms of hypoglycemia when I actually had hyperglycemia! It is no fun either figuring out what you can and cannot do to control "it" with diet alone. My doc doesn't think I will be able to do it and he may be right, but considering the major dental work I need done and the consequences of NOT getting that work done....I surely am motivated! Lil'
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The drastic amount of carbs I am giving up is because in addition to the hypoglycemia and insulin resistance, I need to lose weight. As soon as I reach my target weight, I can start to slowly add some complex carbs back in.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone should do this; it's just that a lot of people think they are eliminating or decreasing carbs only to eat foods with hidden carbs. Eating a bunch of carrots or drinking carrot juice would not be a good snack on an empty stomach for someone who is hypoglycemic.

Love, Mikie
  11. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I have been hypoglycemic for years, I suspect. Dx'd this past summer. I have recently started the Atkins Diet. My question is about ketones. I have reached moderate amounts of ketones. I do eat an Atkins high protein bar a day and that may hinder the amount of ketones. Is it really important to reach high ketones? Atkins is not the only high protein/low carb diet but it's the only one who suggests monitoring ketones. I've dropped some weight this week. I don't weigh but my clothes are a little looser.
    pam
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, Atkins does place an emphasis on ketosis. You can reach ketosis on any high-protein/low-carb diet. I have never measured, but I can tell when my sweat and breath smell like a buffalo heard that I am in ketosis. Excreting ketones puts an extra burden on the kidneys and is not supposed to be a permanent state. It does usually produce large weight losses.

I have chosen to follow the Suzanne Somers diet. I have lost a little more than 20 pounds but have plateaued and I have another 20 to go. I may have to resort to extra exercise and not eating any fruit, which the Somers diet allows as long as you eat it by itself. It's hard for me to go without fruit at all.

Somers' cookbooks have delicious recipes that would help anyone with a family to be able to cook healthy yummy food for everyone. Since Mom died, I hardly every cook that type of meal anymore, but occasionally I do and then eat it for three days :)

Love, Mikie

13. beans

beans New Member

I am also Hypoglycemia .

But I a not programmed to be a real regulated person.

But when I go into a diet I give it my all.
    I have kept daily eating logs and stayed on diets for months.

When I am concentrating on my diet it seems that's all I can think about all day.

I need a variety of stimulations.

Dieting gets old but I still learn a few good skills each time that are always with me and that I mostly follow.

Also the Fatigue slows my progress down at times.
    Ihave not found any diet that cured me of Chronic Fatigue and that is a mind blower because I go into each diet with high hopes.

So my struggle is on going with dieting.

Struggling with different diets for 12 years.

First from the doctor and nutrition counseling.
    It was free at a College town clinic.
    One was a 1200 calorie a day diet.
    Eat 6 times a day.

Each meal had to have some protein.
    Breakfast 2 servings of carbs.
    One serving after that at each meal or snack.
    One serving is 15 grams of carbs.

It was a good diet similar to weight watchers.
    But Less sugar.

I lost weight.

Second diet was a total removal of all allergic food. I stayed with it 3 months.
    Only had 12 things to pick from lost weight but bowels ran several times a day.

One of those food I am sensitive too.

I did good on the third diet a doctor put me also went to a different clinic for nutrition counsel cost 22 dollars and she worked around my new found food allergies.
    More of a low carb food rotation diet.
    Similar to first diet.

Eat 6 meals a day and more protein etc.

I went on the Atkins diet loss weight and ate meat constantly.
    Loss weight.
    I could not eat many of the dairy things on the diet.

I stick to hard cheeses or sharp cheddar.

I have tried to get back on to the diet several times.

I can not seem to stay with a diet.

And as soon as I go off the diet the weight comes back.

Its alot of work the shopping and cooking ,dishes, less
    eating out.

But I do keep with eating more protein and eating smaller amounts more often.
    I keep cheese and protein bars around all the time.

Always in my head I have goal to get back into a good diet.

These are not weight losing tips but tips to avoid a low sugar crash.

Things I have learned is to beef ( protein ) up things use more meats in soups etc.

Cook large pieces of meat or more meat than you need for any one meal so you can snack on the left over meat.
    If I eat bread I butter it good.
    Eat protein before you go to bed.
    Keep a protein snack handy at all times at night by bed in purse when away from house .

Read labels on boxes and buy things that have a higher protein count and less carbo count.

Do not go by sugar count but carbo count.

Buy sugar reduced items or sugar free .

But don't be fooled by diabetic cookies and stuff they have hidden sugars in them.

If I get a no sugar added yogurt out I often add nuts.

I can not eat too many nuts so I can not do that more than once or twice a week.

You can buy a glucose meter and check your own blood sugar when you are feeling low.

Often there are specials on them in chain drug stores watch the papers.

I never had to pay much to buy one and often get them free.

I trade up or trade in often when I see the offers to get a free one with trade in because the new ones have testing strips with them.

Well hope it helps.

Just keep trying.
    Beans
  14. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Wow,

I wonder how many of us DON'T have hypoglycemia!!!
    I have always suffered from this. I can remember fainting at 12 yrs old!

Note to spoohner who replied in this post (I don't know if I spelled that right, can't pull up the meesages at the moment) Have you ever been checked for Diabetes? If you are unable to get the SX under control and even seem worse after eating, it would be a good idea to make sure you don't have "high" bloodsugar (hyperglycemia/Diabetes)
    Often the SX can present the same.

Take good care!
    Susan
  15. tamara123

tamara123 New Member

My doctor put me on glucophage earlier this year and said I had to get my blood sugar under control, extreme highs and very extreme lows......ive lost 46 pounds doing the low carb thing since march. It hasnt seem to make any diff with the fibro, but now the blood sugar seems to be better, my only problem with it now are the low crashes, when I forget to eat.....Tamara

[ advertisement ]