Hypoglycemic symptoms and the Hungers Please Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Joyce, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Joyce

Joyce New Member

Hello I'm a bit new to writing to this board although I've been a member for while.

Have had managable CFS for 10 years. Things changed recently and I went through a terrible period of panic attacks in which I could not be satiated with food for more than an hour or two. Kept on crashing if I didn't eat. I couldn't really sleep cause the episodes would happen round the clock.

Have been helped with anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs for a few weeks (I'm vertical again! after four months bedbound).

I feel the episodes coming through all this medication again. It sounds like people with FM get this sort of symptom with a flare up. I've never had FM symptoms so am unfamiliar.

Anyone one with info or opinion please let me know. I've got to stay vertical!

Sorry for sounding desperate.

Thanks in advance

Joyce
  2. Joyce

Joyce New Member

Hello I'm a bit new to writing to this board although I've been a member for while.

Have had managable CFS for 10 years. Things changed recently and I went through a terrible period of panic attacks in which I could not be satiated with food for more than an hour or two. Kept on crashing if I didn't eat. I couldn't really sleep cause the episodes would happen round the clock.

Have been helped with anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs for a few weeks (I'm vertical again! after four months bedbound).

I feel the episodes coming through all this medication again. It sounds like people with FM get this sort of symptom with a flare up. I've never had FM symptoms so am unfamiliar.

Anyone one with info or opinion please let me know. I've got to stay vertical!

Sorry for sounding desperate.

Thanks in advance

Joyce
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

When my blood sugar drops, I eat protein. Either a piece of cheese or some cold cuts. I would suggest you see your doctor to test your blood sugar. I also suggest going to a Diabetes Clinic to learn what to eat and when to eat. I was having "anxiety" symptoms and found out it was from Reactive Hypoglycemia. This occurs a few hours after you eat a lot of carbs. It makes your blood sugar drop. Instead of eating sugar, you need to eat protein to balance you out. I hope this helps.
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Annette is 100% on target. Not only do you need to eat every 2-3 hrs. and eat a little protein each time, but simple carbs have to go. Processed foods have no place in the diet of a hypoglycemic.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Klutzo
  5. achy

achy New Member

I get those too...I'm fine one minute and the next I am shaky, get a headache, trembly and feel like I'm just gunna fall where I stand.
    I have learned to eat something small 4-5 times a day rather than 3..that has helped a lot. I eat cereal or oatmeal about 8 wiht my meds...10:00 maybe an apple, noon a bowl of soup or a salad...3:00 fruit or if I'm feeling frisky a candy bar (gotta treat yourselft) then a well bal dinner around 6...two veggies, one meat or starch.

But, for those sudden attacks my doc rec. this. Go buy a box of PLAIN planters peanuts in the little 1 oz. bags. Keep some in your purse, in your glove box, in a basket easy to get to....eat them, slowly wiht a glass of water. The shakes will stop in minutes. Pure protein, little salt.
    This has been a lifesaver for me. I have been in the store or something when that geeling hits....I always have a bag in my purse...no more running to find a soda machine or snackbar.
    And, they now say 1 oz of nuts a day is very good for us.

Hope this helps...
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  6. Joyce

Joyce New Member

I've never heard of oral medication for hypoglycemia. I have heard of medication for diabetes like metformin (glucophage). Is that what your talking about?

Thanks,

Joyce
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Achy is right....eat many times a day, at least every 3 hrs. Please, Achy, I do not mean to pick on you personally, but I notice that your diet as described in your post is almost totally devoid of protein until the evening meal. I'll bet that is a major reason for your problem with reactive hypoglycemia. If you have hypoglycemia it is not safe to consume unopposed carbohydrates. Always eat a little protein with them. Unless you have a weight problem, the nuts you mention should be consumed with the apple, sprinkled on the oatmeal, etc. But, please, stop using peanuts. They are loaded with a liver toxin (afalatoxin). Any other nut would be prefereable. Almonds have a lot of calcium, and walnuts have the good Omega-3 fats. If weight is a problem, add lower calorie protein to your meals instead of nuts. I had this problem for years, so this is not just my book learnin' talkin! A high protein/low carb diet has stopped my hypoglycemia completely.
    Hugs, KLutzo

[This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]