Hypotension....dizziness/fainting advice please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cc0526, Jun 14, 2006.

1. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

I know that hypotension or low blood pressure is common with this disease and I have had low blood pressure but it has never been a problem until now. I have had nearly fainted at work several times a day at work this week. If I'm bending over in my med cart or fixing a dressing or anything and stand up (at the time you never remember to stand up slowly) I get so dizzy I almost black out. I've let it go for about a week and now can't get into the doctor until next week since I have to work 4 days in a row. I am starting to worry though. Any advice other than get up slower? It has never been this bad. There isn't really any new meds in about a month.

Thanks for reading,
    Patty
  2. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

bumpity bump....
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Patti,
    I just read your bio and except for your illnesses, I really enjoyed reading it.

I haven't heard that low blood pressure is common with this disease but I do know we shouldn't be fainting. (or almost)

How about the other things that could cause it...extreme fatigue? Low blood sugar? Any fever? Weakness prior?

Could you be pregnant again?

Which med did you start about a month ago? Could this be causing it?

You've done such an incredible job of fighting all you've been through....so don't stop now!!!

Can you call your doc prior to your appt? What about a nurse help line?

I really think this should be seen as soon as possible.

Keep us updated please,

Nancy
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Hi Patty,
    I had this severely for so long. I finally started eating pretzel every nite as my evening snack before bed. The salt increased my BP and helped me retain the 2 qts water a day I drank.

You could try this for a week or so and see how you feel. What's your BP? If high, then salt from pretzels won't be good for you of course. Then I'd say you really need to eat regularly (I know most nurses don't), with good protein in each meal. A salad with chicken chunks, whole grain bread and fruit for dessert.

You may just need more food for your demanding job...

There's always hope!
    findmind
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Patty I just found this interesting article on Dr. Cheney and what he recommends.

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/3499/e/1/T/CFIDS_FM/

salt, water, then if the symptoms still persist take licorice root tablets

6. rhat

rhat New Member

I'm new here and already I'm interested in more information. Just began recognizing wide ranges of blood pressure...from in the 140's over 80's as low as 100/ 60 all in the same day. After vigorous activity (that would be MY definition of vigorous) is when it dropped to that lowest reading, and my head didn't feel right. Not like fainting not really even dizzy, but kinda disconnected, or floaty. Anyway, after being treated for hypothyroidism with bioidentical thyroid replacement hormone, plus replacement hormone therapy, cortisol and other nutriceuticals, I am no longer craving salt as I once did. So, making that connection in the responses to this thread has been helpful. I'll start paying closer attention to fluid intake and salt. Thanks for sharing all that good info
    rhat
  7. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

Have to admit, I was worried with no responses yesterday but it was late, and I'm impatient...

First, all the advice was wonderful. There are definitely changes I am beginning already. Since I have had gastric bypass surgery I don't eat well at all. Especially at work, I have to eat very slowly and there just isn't time. I have to do better there. Findmind... a bag a pretzels at my desk is number one on my list.. munch here and there. Thanks.

Second, I have to drink more water. It's not comfortable drinking a lot and have a bad diet coke habit, keeps me sane. Then with bad flares and the ibs kicks in it's automatic IV fluids because I can't stay hydrated. But if I increase my salt intake that should help me retain more fluids? I've never cut back on the salt, so no problem there. My BP has always been on the low side.

I have checked my blood sugar and it's always okay surpirsingly. Got that glucometer right on the desk so I always have access to it.

This might be the kick in the butt I needed to start forcing myself to drink and eat more. It's weird that it is such a struggle. Such a simple thing. I'd almost rather hook myself up to an IV overnight to get hydrated. Unless it's diet coke... that I'll do on my own :)

Haley.. the licorice, I'm really uneducated on the supplement stuff, is it a pill or just the stuff you eat? I'd buy some now if I knew for sure :) Especially if it could increase the energy.

Nancy... thanks for all the nice things you said. I am weak but don't think I had a fever at the time. The med I started a month ago was the ritalin. I sure in some ways it contributes to this problem since I do more and don't take as much time to listen to what my body is telling me. I don't think it is causing the problem though. So far this has been a lifesaver for me. I know it's not fixing anything and probably isn't great for my body, but it is letting me function better. When my 5 year old tells me how happy he is that I'm not laying in bed all day... I can't stop it now. Orthostatic intolerance was one of the first things that I learned about with CFSIDS except the fatigue part anyway. And, I'm not pregnant. The paxil is the best birth control I've ever been on!

Cindy thanks for the link. I'm heading there next, if I can ever stop typing. (I can be long winded if you haven't noticed :)

Rhat, welcome to the board. I'm pretty new too and now it is one of the things I look forward to most in the day.

Thanks again everyone for your replies. I have lots of good things to try this weekend at work and I'll be sure to let you know.

Oh, FYI, today I started my period. Interesting. Wonder if it could be related. This week I have also had more severe body aches and pains and thought it was just because of how much I worked last week (could still be) but I wonder if my cycles make symptoms worse. So much to learn. What do you think?

Patty

8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I feel so low in BP at times that I feel I will just drop down. I told my doc about this and he said well I could wear a BP monitor 24 hrs.

Right now I had a feeling as if I would pass out and still feel groggy and I know if I take BP it will be 100 over 54 or something similar.

I did read that nerves in the chest control the BP responses to heart pumping and that FM can interfere with this by causing nerve damge.

It is awfully scary feeling. It says in Merck to drink OJ to push BP up and hold breath and bear down. Yest I have heard that is what you do to bring BP down!!!

I absolutely hate it I almost considered calling 911 tonight, but I will go to bed. Do you feel just exhausted when this happens?

Love Anne Cromwell
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Did I read correctly that you drink diet coke? Aspartame is the worse thing anyone can put in their body. I probably have permanent damage because of it.
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

Patty, yes, being pre-mens. can cause your BP to 'bottom-out'! Being a nurse, can you get a blood VOLUME test? (Proper way is remove blood, add a potion of some kind, WAIT 45 MIN., and return blood...or something close to that...it must be done RIGHT)...

Some PWCs have gone to hosp with almost no BP, dehydrated, etc., and are sent home after IV fluids...but they have actually been close to death because their blood volume had dropped too much.

Yes, any kind of soda should be out of your life, I'm sorry...they are just too, too bad for us. Pure water is what we desperately need, lots of it if BP bounces around, up to 12 cups per day for me.

Our bodies just can't discern the difference between types of sugars; our hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal axis is not working properly. This can actually cause a type of diabetes insipidus intermittently...I had it.

Please put good food in your body...you will not last long at work, believe me, if you don't.

Glad you are thinking of how much your kids love you and want the best for you....hope it encourages you to take very good care of you...

findmind
  11. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Have you ever done a quick read on Aspartame poisoning? It's interesting to read, many debate it, but I've cut out all diet products from my diet and I do feel a change. (Along with other more healthy things I've done too and you can find tons of info by doing a quick search here too)

You know that the Diet Coke habit will lift you up but drop you quickly too. Might want to be careful for that one.

I know...we all "know" these things but even I had to start making healthier choices when I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Good luck and I hope you feel better,

Nancy B