Hypothyroidism anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fawn, May 18, 2003.

1. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I heard that many fibromyalgia patients also suffer from hypothyroidism. I have it. My question is two-fold. 1. Is anyone taking a pill called Armour Thyroid? (Dried pig thyroids). 2. Once someone has hypothyroidism, do they always have it... do they have to take medication for life? I appreciate any answer. Thanks!
  2. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

I'm not taking that, I take Levoxyl. And, yes it's a lifer. They made a mistake with me, I had it with my first pregnancy, they retested me about 2 months after I had my daughter and said I was normal. Funny that I never felt normal, and 4 yrs. later was dx with it again. My doc now told me I will take the meds forever. Hope this helps!
    ~Tina~
  3. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I hate to think its a lifer, but that's just another thorn in our lives I guess. Hope you're doing well. I am just so sick of taking PILLS! lol. Thanks so much for the info.
    Fawn
  4. clueless

clueless New Member

I have taken levoxyl for years ( a generic for synthroid,) the state of Florida just accepted it as pure enough to prescribe. I always had to go onto the synthroid when we went down there for the winter.I did`nt know they even used the pig thyroid any more, I thought they used only the synthetics. clueless
  5. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I have hypothyroidism and if you have a good doctor they can get you to your normal range sometimes, but you never stay there. When I am in normal range, I still have every sign of hypo, even though all the test state otherwise. It is kinda like FM on that part.
    Unfortunately, I believe I am stuck being hypo forever.
    I have met some that yo yo back and forth from hypo to hyper.
    Good luck with it.
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi Fawn,
    I take 120mg of armour thyroid every day. I used to take synthroid, but the armour works much better for me. The armour thyroid pills have t4 and t3, not just the t4 like synthroid. I will have to take it every day for the rest of my life.
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

and because it was just under normal she said that I may only need vit D to bring my Thyroid back in line. The doc said that if it will work we'll know in 3 months. So I am hoping I won't need to go on another med.

Good luck, Kim
  8. bakron

bakron New Member

I take Levothroid (levothyroxine - T4). I've been on it for about 1 1/2 months, so we'll see how it goes. I've been told that it is a lifelong medication. Just another pill in the many that I'm now on.
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

doctor (GP) says their tests came back normal, yet they still feel like death warmed over, see my answer to rollins on her thyroid question. This could change your life like it did mine.

Marilyn :)
  10. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi Fawn,
    I have been diagnosed with being Hypo. For a few years I took Synthroid , then Levoxyl, I still felt awful! Finally I found a doctor who was willing to let me try Armour and I do feel much better, I am not the way I used to be, but the Armour works best for me,
    Hugs to you
    Denise
  11. jka

jka New Member

i started off with hypothyroidism.doc gave me radio active iodie.then i went hyperthyroidism.my doc kept telling me i was crazy.people don't do that.put me on tranquilizers.found new doc who had a fit.found out i had 12 growths on thyroid.had surgery and removed most of thyroid.i think that's how all my problems started.went fron that to lupu, to fibro.do you think they're done with me yet?
    kathy c

i will take thyroid the rest of my life without it i would be dead in30days.
  12. Letti

Letti New Member

My Thyroid was removed when I was 3 yrs. old.
    (They did that back then).I've been taking thyroid pills for 46 yrs. I started off with Armour then about 11 yrs. ago my Doc switched me to Synthroid. My Grandmother had hers removed too, when I was little. My sister and Mother are now taking Thyroid pills for about the last 5 or so yrs.
    Yes, thyroid pills are for life.
    Letti
  13. Fawn

Fawn New Member

Out at 3 years old? I am so sorry. You menioned Armour Thyroid, why the change to Synthroid? Anyway, now I know its for life. Thank you for your reply, and I thank everyone else who replied to this.
    Gentle hugs,
    Fawn
  14. Fawn

Fawn New Member

12 growths on your thyroid~ OMG! I am so sorry to hear that. You went thru some rough times! I hope all is better, and yes, take them every day! I did not know the thyroid was so important! I guess it is! Take care Kathy, and hope you're feeling well today. Each day is so different. I wonder how many UNDIAGNOSED people are out there? I bet quite a few. I am glad my doctor did the test. The Armour Thyroid works good for me, although I hate to think I am swallowing dried pig thyroids! Gag me. lol
    Have a good day,
    Fawn