Hysterecetomy ? Any Experiences?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hope4today, Mar 8, 2006.

1. hope4today

hope4today New Member

I need some info on how Hysterectomy affects women with FMS and CFS.

I have severe FMS, am 50, am perimenopausal, have a wierd shaped fibroid on a stalk, have difficult periods which are still pretty regular that trigger more pain and a 'grand mal' flareup.

Years back the consensus here was that the benefits of a Hysterectomy were not outweighed by the development of new pelvic triggerpoints from the surgery and the hormonal aftermath.

My thinking is a possible D&C with a biopsy of the fibroid. What are the reprocussions of that?

Would appreciate any feedback as I go to see an OBGYN in a few weeks. Am in the middle of one of these flares due to a period and am miserable.

Hope
  2. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I had my hysterectory in the early 90's and to me it was the best thing to get rid of. I didnt do the HRT as that causes cancer. The only thing is no matter when something
    like surgery or an exam or for me even going for a simple blood test sends me back to bed. So, with the CFS/FM
    we will be more sensitive when we have to have anything done to us. ANd thats how I just accept things.

thats just my 2 cents.
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Did Surgery Cause Your Illness?? Of all my surgeries, I guess this was the best for me. It gave me back a week each month of no pain(cramps,etc) but I truly believe that surgery for me and for many others caused or increased their symtoms. Personally I do not think the medication and the trama to the body does not agree with some of us.
  4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i think that the fm symptoms were making my monthly pain worse...

my scar is sore when the rest of me hurts...not horrible or anything...

someof the pain a had before the surgery is still there in the top of my leg/lymph node area...radiates sdown my leg...

kept my ovaries...i was 33 at the time...

best thing i ever did....i wonder though how i would have recovered with fullblown FM...i guess that is your question too...it really didn't seem so bad...the surgery...just educate yourself on what to expect...good website is Hystersisters...nice ladies there...
  5. blkkat

blkkat New Member

a back injury caused my pain that hasnt gotten better. then D-w/fibro. had the surgery a year before my injury, so no i dont think it started all this for me. i wish i had had the hysterecetomy 10 years earlier!! no PERIODS YIP PEE!!!! i kept one ovary. im 43 now. HUGS! BLKKAT
    [This Message was Edited on 03/08/2006]
  6. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

Do it, it did take me quite a while to heal but I think it is b/c of this dd fibro, I had a very similar surgery about 15yrs before the hysterectomy where they did the bikini cut and removed my right falopian tube and ovary, they said is was coevered in cysts and it was actually black as it had died.

My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant and we weren't able to is b/c of that the doctor's said.

They told me if they removed all of that that it would help me get pregnant and it did! A few years later I got pregnant with my son.

But healing time was quicker even though they made me stay in the hospital for 6 days, but I was ready to go back to work soon.

It was really harder after this more recent surgery.

But I feel so much better now well in that way.

Pamela
  7. hope4today

hope4today New Member

WoW!
    This has been so encouraging!
    It puts me into a better frame of mind because I have to plan my life around that time of the month...and this growth is a little concerning as well.
    Hope
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had fibro and systemic lupus since I was around 12. I am now 55.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy at age 32 and did not experience any difference in my fibro symptoms.

It was the BEST surgery that I have ever had, and I have had many. I would highly recommend it to every woman who no longer wishes to have children (and has a reason to have a hysterectomy, of course).

Janet
  9. hope4today

hope4today New Member

Hoping for more input
    Thanks bunches

Hope
  10. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

after numerous D&C's. I had fibroids. In December 1999, I had another D&C as I had a period for 7 weeks, with no sign of letting up. It didn't help much, so I had an abdominal hysterectomy in Feb the following year. My gynae said that the uterus was worse than it appeared inside once he took it out. I still have my ovaries.

Looking back, I had mild symptoms of FMS for years before, but the surgery was the catalyst that aggravated it. But I had no other option.

Also, I suffered an extreme reaction to the antibiotic they were giving me mainline. Hours after the surgery, I began to itch, I blew up like a hot air balloon, I could hardly breathe, and I was nauseous. I could have gone into anaphyletic(sp?) shock unless I refused the new bag they were going to attach to the drip. I don't know if that left any lasting effects.

I think that you must discuss very carefully all the options with your doctor. See what is best for you at any given time. Maybe a D&C is the way to go at the moment. As a matter of course they send the specimen for biopsy afterwards.

Take care.

((((HUGS))))

Julia
  11. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

I had a full hysterectomy in January 2005. The Dr. thought I could have ovarian cancer. As it turned out, I didn't. I had fibroids and a mass on one of my ovaries. I had to
    have the abdominal vertical incision. It took me a full
    eight weeks to be able to work 1/2 days. I had extreme
    fatique and I also experienced the effects of lacking
    hormones. It took awhile before the hormone situation was
    handled...ie, trying out doses of HRT. I am looking at
    getting off of these but right now I have
    so many other FM issues. I do believe that FM played a big part in my slow recovery. I have more FM symptoms since my hysterectomy...that's the bad part.

However, having the hysterectomy for all the problems I was
    having was the best solution for me at the time plus the
    cancer scare. My symptoms were severe PMS, very heavy periods, painful at times, 2 weeks out of the month I was miserable, mood swings, bloating etc. I literally could not go anywhere during the first 2-3 days of my periods!

Now I feel so much better (except for FM flares) and do not miss the periods!!!!

I am 51 years old and a proud mother of three children. I am thankful that I was able to have my family.

Wishing you the best in your decision and may God bless you. Here to help if you need it.

Maribelle
  12. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

I had a total hysterectomy three years ago, at 33, after two previous laps for endo. I've done well after the initial healing. It took me a full 8 weeks to go back to work, then a week of half days, but after that was over I was able to discontinue the hormone replacement even, and no more hot flashes or night sweats. I have an ob/gyn appt next week though, and she may suggest I need to go back on them. We'll see.

Trish
  13. hope4today

hope4today New Member

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this. Our FMS affects the most simple decisions so I feel very cautious about this one. The information available is of course not shaped by our experiences.

I am tired of this 10 year fight with my period...2 weeks of the month that my FMS isn't managable no matter what I do!

Hope
  14. voiceteacher

voiceteacher New Member

I am seeing the doctor about a hyst on FRIDAY! I couldn't believe that there was already a post on the board. I would love to keep in contact a bit as you make your decision. I have been doing a lot of research and am in a similar situation to yours. Please feel free to let me know how you are doing, I will be thinking of you. (Seeing him about whether that is an option for me or not, I mean, lol!)

Voice
  15. mariee

mariee Member

I had a hystercetomy last year in April.
    I recovered like most women w. total hysterectomy...FM symptoms were controlled by pain meds.
    Let your surgeon know you have FM. S/he should know this in order to treat your pain appropriately. At that time I was taking other meds, and the hospital blended everything in my IV.
    A great website for info before and after is hystersisters.com. Or just google hystersisters.
    There are many women there w. fibro. They provide you w. checkpoints before and after surgery. Also questions for your doc. What to bring to hospital, what to do at home post op. I relied on them for info as I had never had surgery before. It is an awesome site for hormonal questions too.

Best wishes.
    Mariee
  16. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I also had a vaginal hystorectomy when I was 35,I think.Been awhile but the best thing I ever did.Endometriosis hurts REALLY bad.

I had not been diagnosed with fm back then.

I did well.I came home the next day which I seriously do not recommend.I asked to come home the next day becuase I had to be there for my girls.

Rest!!!If you can get help get it.Cook meals ahead of time and freeze them.

Overall, you will be glad to get rid of all those fibrods.

Let us know when you set up surgery if you go through with it.

With fm you never know what is gonna set us off.All I can recommend is get plenty of rest.And get up and walk as soon as you can after surgery.You will have to walk a little funny for a little while but thats ok there is alot to look at on the ground.LOL!

One more thing ,After surgery they usually hook you up to a morphine pump.Now that stuff made me itch like mad.Mainly my legs.They put these inflatable things on your legs for some reason I can't remember.SO either it was the things on my legs or the morphine but I tell you the itching bothered me more than the pain.

Ok thats all I can think off.
    Don't be scared and take care of yourself.
    Sheila
  17. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

best thing I have ever done. Recommend it to all my friends