Hysterectomy-Does It Cause Weight Gain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dreamharp, Feb 28, 2006.

1. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I was wondering if having a hysterectomy promotes weight gain?
    Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks.

Dreamharp
  2. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I'm kinda nervous answering this because I think everyones experience is different.

I had my hysterectomy almost 3 years ago, when I was 25. I gained 10 pounds. Yes, it really has upset me, and I can't attribute the weight gain to anything else. Here's the scarry part, after the surgery is when I began having symptoms of FM. I didn't know what they were at the time. Looking back, it seems it was a gradual increase of symptoms up until it came to a head for me about 3 months ago. It was sort of an "ah hah" moment when I thought about it.

I do think that some of weigt gain was due to the fact that I had a hard time finding the right type of hormone replacement.

Don't let this scare you. My mother in law had hers and didn't gain a pound. In fact, it bettered her life!

Let me know when you're having it done, I can probally give you some info. on what to expect as the surgery nears, if you want.

Take Care, Shannon
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I had no weight gain at all . Had mine in 1995.......And I did not grow hair on my face either.........I was told I would.

Sue

4. lin-z

lin-z New Member

As stated previously, everyone is different but I def gained weight and I do say that surgery is what kick started my downhill spiraling into full gear. Could be totally unrelated but I havent felt myself since dec 13 ,2000.(date of surgery)

Needed the surgery for huge fibroid but......ehh research other options is my truthful advice

luck to you , Lindsey
  5. My mother had a full hysterectomy in 1995 due to endometrial cancer, and from then until now.......YESSS she has gained a LOT of weight...but, she has uncontrolled, unmonitored diabetes, too. She does not take care of her diabetes very well at all.

She diets....when it suits her mood, basically.

She stopped her hormone replacement therapy, and she's gained even more since that, but, she doesn't care, she feels HRT is more dangerous, than the weight.. She's over 180lbs, and 5'4" & 57 yrs old.

I think it also depends on if you have a full hysterectomy, for one...if you keep your ovaries, it's definitely better. And if you stay on a HRT it makes it better for most it appears...??? various kinds, = various results. and of course, various bodies = various results.

And, diet plays an important part, but, it does in anyone's weight, hysterectomy, or not...

and also accompanying health conditions, or ones that might follow post-hysterectomy, anywhere down the road.

I have no personal experience with this, and I pray to God that my problems will not come to that ever either..

But, I hope that this helps...

Also, god bless all of you women that HAVE gone through this, through seeing my mother go through hers, I know how tough it is emotionally, especially if it is sudden. However it happens it is hard on a woman. You are all tough.

(((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Laura

6. i had a hysterectomy in 1995..i was a size 12 (im in uk) i weighed 8 stone,looked very ill,face sunk in,and was painfully thin.
    the nurse said to me,,,have you been told that you will gain some weight after having the hysterectomy?but by the looks of you,,you could do with putting some weight on..i told her no,i wasnt aware of the weight gain..but my womens problems were so very bad,that i didnt care i just wanted that hysterectomy,so as to be well.
    i did put weight on,im not a big eater,i eat small regular meals.ive never been the sort of person that eats lots of sweet things,i never craved sugar.
    i did put weight on,it just seemed to be never ending.3 years after the hysterectomy i had gone from weighing 8 stone,to weighing 11 stone.i looked so well,my face wasnt sunk in anymore.i cant seem to lose weight now.im very active.i ride my bike at the weekend.walk my dog each day.we dont go too far.but i cant seem to lose weight.this remains a mystery to this day.i do think my body is holding alot of fluid.in the hands/feet/knees.but try as i might,i cant get rid of the weight.

kind regards
    fran xx
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I didn't gain any weight from my hysterectomy, I lost some weight about 20lbs.

I didn't have much of an appetite after surgery.

I did take me a very long time to heal and I think that was b/c of the fibro.

Pamela