Hysterectomy on Friday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirschbaum26, Nov 14, 2006.

1. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

Just thought I would let you know that I am having a total hysterectomy on Friday. I had pre-cancer in my endometrium and with all the other issues I have going on, the oncologist recommended the total abdominal hysterectomy.

I had to have a pelvic CT scan yesterday. Hopefully, that will alleviate the need to have the pelvic lymph nodes removed...to make sure that there is no cancer anywhere else. Oncologist told me that 33% of people with endometrial pre-cancer actually have cancer somewhere else, and the endometrium is actually where it spreads to. A bit freaked out about that part. Also if any cancer cells have spread beyond the pelvis the survival rate is only 20% at 5 years.

I also had to stop taking advil last friday. I cannot believe how much that simple, over the counter medication makes my life possible. I am taking vicodin, but that really does nothing for the RA inflammation, and I really cannot take enough to dull the pain, or I would be forced to stay in bed all day and all night.

Doctor said it will be a 2-4 day hospital stay, but hopefully just 2 days.

I will miss you all.

Ingrid
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Ingrid,

You dear one, prayers will be with you. I hope all goes as easy as possible for you.

You sound like a very strong person who takes the facts at hand and emotionally can handle them. Sure, we all get somewhat fearful when these things happen, but it really does pass.

I am having some growths removed in January. Like you, I have to think of cancer. It has been rampant in my family.
    I always think: sure, why not? Everyone has something, their own cross to bear.

Please post ASAP when you get home. Only if you can.

hugs,
    nyrofan
  3. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I will be praying for you and hoping that all goes well.

Please try to stay positive. I know that is hard.

Please let us know how you are as soon as you are able.

Hugs,

Jodi
  4. Exfa

Exfa New Member

Hysterectomies are not fun and especially when you are in so much pain already, but you will make it.....just take it very very slowly. I hope you have someone to help you when you get home...and lots of pain meds. Everyone I know of has taken at least 6 wks if not longer to mend. Just know that several people from this board will be thinking of you and wishing you well.
  5. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Hope your pain is better soon. My prayers are with you. MIP
  6. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

My wife had a hysterectomy after she was precancerous too. There were no other problems, and after she healed, she felt better than ever. She didn't get another cold for 15 years. I've heard of several women who had the same reaction. None ever regretted it.

Hope it goes well for you.
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am glad you let us know you will be having this surgery . I truly believe everyone's prayers helped me when I had my gallbladder surgery last week. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

I don't know if you have ever had surgery before, the gallbladder was my first surgery. I had laparoscopic for the gallbladder and stayed three days in the hospital.

I hope you try to stay as long as possible, it will make it easier when you come home. If you are not ready to come home, just tell the doctor.

Today I am a little over one week post op and still easily tired - so please don't rush yourself.

I think we have excellent doctors and treatment these days, compared to even ten years ago, so I hope they take the best care of you and everything turns out the best.

Please let us know how you are, I will be looking for you when you return. I hope you have someone to help you, and friends close.

I am over here in Palos Verdes and would be happy to help you if you need anything.

Take care....

8. luvnewcomb

luvnewcomb New Member

Good luck to you, I'll be praying for you. I only know of a few who have had the surgery, but it's much better than it used to be.

I have one very close friend who had her hysterectomy due to cancer back about 25 years ago and is one of the healthiest people I know.

I will be thinking good, happy thoughts, and that you come out of the surgery healthier, and stronger than ever.

All my warmest wishes,
    L
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Ingrid,
    From having a hyesterectomy I can tell you that you don't want to come home in 2 days. More likely a week would be better for you.. I Know that it helped me to stay in the hospital for the 5 days I was there.

It was hard as I had to come home to small kids and they thought that mommie could lift them and hold them and I could not do any thing at all.

I was not to lift any thing heaver than I can hole in the palm of my hand. Follow that one. Don't lift, vaccum, don't stand up to long.

Some slow walking around your house will help with keeping your body moving. But don't do any more than that. YOu need to just rest and take your meds like your doctor tells you to do so.

Don't be shy , if your in pain let your doctor know about it so that he/she can prescribe you some thing for home that will ease the pain before it gets to bad and you end up in the ER for pain control. Yes that did happen to me.

This is the best advise I can give to you. When you get up in the mornings , do your hair , makeup and get dressed. MY doctor gave this advise to me to help me to feel more like my life was normal. AS it took a while for me to heal .

Take this time for you. Don't stress over any thing, Just rest and take care of you. Know that you are cared for and that you have friends who will be praying for you.

Take care of you.,
    HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I sincerely hope that the oncologist who told you that is wrong.

I had a pre-cancerous uterous a few years ago, had a hysterectomy although I kept my ovaries and everything's been fine since.

I can't tell you how many days each and every month that I'm grateful that I no longer have to go through all of that (crap/pain, etc...) anymore.

I'm sincerely glad that they found it early for you too and hope all goes well for you.

Let us know how things go whenever you can.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I love saying that- it's my daughter's name! Take good care of yourself and know that we are praying for you......write when you can and let us know how you are doing.
  12. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Thanks for all of your kinds words. I hope that I am back on the computer soon after surgery...and I will let you all know how it goes.

I look at this as a necessary step, but I do get a bit emotional. I am sure it is the hormonal thing, and I am expecting to be out of sorts for a while.

I am shocked at how dependent on advil my body has become. Maybe this break will allow me to take less when I resume taking it after another week.

Thanks again for all your good wishes and information.

Ingrid
  13. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Prayers go out to you. My surgery was 2 years ago this month, and it was the best thing that has happened to me in a long time.
    I was up walking the halls like nothing at all by the end of the second day, but they were giving me some very strong pain pills.
    Good luck to you on this pre-cancer thing, I pray that the doctors can get out all they need to, and you will be cancer free.
    God bless, Julie
  14. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi Hon,

Prayers are going up for you dear...

Thinking good thoughts for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery...

Love to you~Alicia