hysterectomy related question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bre_ann, Apr 1, 2010.

1. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I am planning on having a hysterectomy in a few months...has anyone's fibro gotten any better or any worse after having this surgery?
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

It was 2 years this Month i had a total Hysterectomy, and it made all my symptoms worse.
    i was having a pretty good run actually,as far as the cfs/fibro goes. kinda like a remission
    until i had the surgery.
    i dont kno if it was the anesthesia or the almost 6 hour surgery, but it did a number on me.
    they also did a bladder lift with mesh& now my body is trying to reject the mesh and is growing thr my vaginal walls.i really need to get the mesh out, but it's a hard surgery. i dont know if i could survive another major surgery :(

i know sometimes they are necessary, but Please do your homework about everything they want to do, and want to put in you if your going to have anything like that done.

also, research what anesthesia to stay away from. some of the things they use we dont tolerate too well. i had a great anesthesiologist. i printed out things not to use on a cfs/fibro patient, and she really listened & did a great Job as far as that.
    Good Luck, i wish you the best!
    Kat
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I had that surgery 16 years ago and that was a few years before I got Fibro.

I sure felt better for several years and then wham I was in a car accident and then thats when Fibro started flaring up but it still was about 8 yrs from then before I got diagnosed.

4. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i've had bouts of joint pain and weird aches since a child, but they came on full force after my hysterectomy.

i had my surgery almost 3 years ago, and was diagnosed with FM a few months later.

my abdominal pain went away after the surgery, but i developed pain in every other part of my body. not a fair trade, i'd say.

definately think it all the way through.
  5. loto

loto Member

I had a hysterectomy last June. I kept my ovaries, though. Will your operation take your ovaries, also?
    My experience with it and my FM:
    I had a baseball sized fibroid in my uterus that was causing all kinds of problems--my reason for the hysterectomy.
    I felt really good after I recovered from the incisions, etc. Then, a few months after my mood started going downhill. I'm blaming it on FM, because I kept my ovaries, therefore my hormones weren't going haywire.
    Seems like I developed Overactive Bladder Syndrome during that time, also.
    So, after I got that all straightened out, I'm so much better, and sooooooooo glad I had the surgery! It took away many problems that I'm glad I don't have to deal with anymore, on top of FM.
    I hope this helps. No matter what your reason is for having the hysterectomy, you're obviously having health issues or you wouldn't be going through with it. My thoughts are anything not related to FM that you can get resolved is TOTALLY worth it!

loto

PS: if you generally have problems with constipation, please be sure that you give yourself a "good cleaning out" right before the surgery! I failed to do this, and I suffered so much more than I should have, causing me to have to stay in the hospital for 3 days after surgery. All that air was trapped inside me, causing more pain, fever, etc. So, please make sure you're "empty"!!!!! :):):):):):)
  6. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I appreciate all the insight you all have given me....I hurt every day of my life and I'm so tired of the monthly issues...I will be having the total hysterectomy as my ovaries are a huge problem...I am so hoping that it doesn't make my fibro worse. Thanks again..I will do more research but I am still leaning toward having the surgery.
  7. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

it has been a nightmare to say the least. Like you everything had prolapsed,and they put alll kinda stuff in to lift everything up.
    i also had huge cysts on my ovaries, adenomyosis, fibroids, even fibroids in my tubes, and of course endo.
    it was a mess, and i was in a lot of pain with the cysts, not to mention i was so afraid everytime i had a cyst it was gonna be cancer.

they supposedly fixed the rectocele, well that didn't work either. and i dont have to tell you what thats like!!
    i say if you can avoid surgery, and the pessary is working for you, stick with the pessary.i trusted my Gyn, he never told me about all the mesh rejection going on in Gyn surgery.
    in fact the FDA is warning against using mesh in Gynecological surgeries.

I could kick myself for not doing my homework, and just taking his word for everything. i was so tired of pain & feeling bad i thought maybe part of my problem was all the female stuff.

i traded one problem for a whole other:(
    Hope the pessary continues to work, it beats the alternatives!!
    Kat
  8. rocky76

rocky76 Member

My hysterectomy was fantastic..

So happy after I had it done...

Best thing ever for me....

I had endometriosis so bad I couldn't stand the
    pain anymore...

Also I had a fibroid tumor the size of an orange..

Sex was so painful I just couldn't do it anymore...

So ya best decision ever for me....
  9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Bre_ann, i think if your not dealing with any prolapse stuff, the surgery will be a sucess.
    it might take a few months to feel normal( as normal as we can be)

i think if i didnt have the problem with the mesh,& the rectocele not being repaired rght, everything would have been much better. i feel for you, my Ovaries were a terrible mess also.
    Good Luck, and just research the anesthesia.
    Kat