Hysterectomy surgery complete

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Jul 30, 2011.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I had my surgery on Thursday and was released to come home on Friday. I am in pain, as can be expected, but everything went well. Learning what I can do and what I cannot do. Everything was taken, ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix. They have put me on replacement therapy, but I cannot remember what med it is, estrogen 1 mg. Hubby, being the smart a$$ he is, suggested I take two of them because I had been grouchy to him. I dont think it was the lack of med, I think it was because I am so danged tired. So much so that it seems like I cant keep my eyes open. almost like narcolepsy. Its just the pain meds I am taking, I know it is.

Have been having horrible heartburn and taking tums. They gave me a dose of reglan in the hospital, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the surgery had been done and I was at home. Waiting to see if I have any flairs.

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

So glad everything went ok. (heads up if they took everything that includes your appendix if u still had it).

Rest alot and take care. hoping no flare.
  3. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Appendix too? Guess I need to check with the doctor about that. I still had it...wonder if I do now. She didnt mention taking that.

They gave me some reglan for the heartburn, but it didnt work. I think its from all the carbonated drinks I had there. I dont drink that much pop/soda, but other than coffee or juice, they really didnt have much other. With the heartburn, I didnt want to add any acid with juice, dont like coffee or water. I will ask about something else for the heartburn if it continues. Now that I am home, I can go back to my tea.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2011]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sending up prayer for a speedy recovery. Take it easy and get your rest. Yes, pain meds can make one very tired.

Love, Mikie
  5. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I believe you are mistaken.....a total hysterectomy routinely including taking out your appendix? Never heard of such a thing. My mother, my sister, my roommate and myself have all had total hysterectomies and none of us had that taken out and neither did any doctor ever discuss it or the possibility of it.

6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Your surgery went well, it sounds like you will bounce back pretty quick.
    I stayed in for 3 days after mine ;/ I can't stress enough, just take it slow and easy.
    Did they tell you no bending or lifting really anything for several weeks. Also watch out for bladder infections, I got one about 6 days afterwards.

No flairs for Theresa!!! :D
    Tell your family you need their help more than ever now (milk that as long as possible!)

{{ hugs}}. Kat
  7. dzlady

dzlady New Member

My doctor (wonderful lady) used the da vinci robot to perform the surgery. This allowed (as she stated) for quicker recovery and less pain. I do have to say that I am not really in that much pain, as would be expected with abdominal surgery, although I do hurt quite a bit. I had surgery at around 730-8 am on Thursday and was released at around noon, but stayed until about 6 just to be sure because of the morphine they had given me that morning and waiting on hubby to get off work to come get me.

I was told to drink more water (as I hate water and never drink it except for tea) so I got some bottled water and some MIO to put in it. I have to say that its pretty good and I can see myself drinking this often.

I was told no bending, or as little as possible and no lifting over 10 lbs until after I see her. I am going to try to make an appointment next monday. My husband is a wonderful man that wont let me do anything. He has been great as far as doing things for me. Pretty much not doing anything and WILL milk it for as long as I can. I love it when he babies me...lol I was told no driving, which I dont do anyhow as I hate to drive anymore.

I have 4 puncture wounds and horrible bruises around them (but I bruise way too easily). They have me on percocet 7.5/325 x2 every 6 hours. I took 3 doses yesterday (up until about 3 am) and this morning I took 1, just to see how it would work for me and to make them last if they work with 1.

I am also on hormone replacement, of course, estridol, I think its called? She said she would need to adjust it to make sure it was working properly for me, but started me on 1 mg daily. I have noticed I am more emotional. I have great friends and have found myself with a lump in my throat quite often at how they care about me and my condition(s).

My doctor is a new doctor to me, but I would refer her and her colleagues to anyone in my area. She has great bedside manner and takes the time to explain everything. Its not common, in my experience, to find doctors like this. My GP is the same way. I have spent over an hour at appointments with my gp and she listens to everything I have to tell her. And let me just say that I have no insurance and all these appointments with my GYN and the surgery has cost me NOTHING! Not a penny. The hospital and anesthesia cost nothing either.

I have vertigo pretty badly, so I am being very careful when I get up. My 14 yr old son will care for me when my husband goes back to work on Tuesday and my neighbor has been notified that in case of an emergency, I will be calling her to help me...in case I fall or something like that, as my son wouldnt be able to get me up, I dont think.

My gyn didnt mention anything about my appendix being removed, if I still have it. I have never had it removed and I know that if it ruptured, it COULD be fatal, but I have reason to believe that mine may have ruptured when I was a child and survived. I havent ever had it checked and have always wondered...maybe I will ask her and see what she tells me. I know this would be very rare, but like I said, reason to believe, but long story.

I have been having epidural steroid injections (2 prior to surgery) for two bulging discs in my back and the sciatica pain in my leg. I havent noticed leg pain, but then again, I am on percocet too. I am just hoping for no flairs.

Thank you everyone for your care and support. It means so much to me. And maybe this is just me being emotional again, but I have very few friends and find that everyone here is wonderful with the support and comments to me.

8. dzlady

dzlady New Member

My levels were perfect prior to surgery and I have started taking the d again, post surgery. I was told to stop all herbal/vitamins 2 weeks prior to surgery.

The water thing should not be an issue any longer as I love the Mio. And as long as I can put it in my water, it's all good! I've not drank what I should, but since I didnt drink plain water to begin with, any I drink is an improvement. I've had 2 8 oz glasses both yesterday and today, so far.