Hysterical,I can't stand it, my poor puppy died

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kellyann, Nov 19, 2006.

1. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Okay, I'm crying my eyes out. My puppy died. I found him laying dead at the foot of my bed. I was only gone from the house for a few hours to go to my daughters band concert.
    I can't stand it, really, I can't.
    He was only 5 months old. A full blooded yorkie terrier. His name was "Rowdy" So adorable. My heart is totally broken in half. I have cried until I can cry no more.
    I had put out poison for mice, I was careful to put it up where the dogs could not get it. But, I think sometime last night the little guy must have gotten a hold of a poisoned mouse. There is no other explanation.
    I am an animal nut, I have 5 other dogs I keep in the house. I keep checking the other dogs. I am freaking out now. I will make some of the others sleep in crates tonight. Any that I think might eat a mouse!
    I am so heartbroken I can't handle this. What can I do?
    Help me please!
    This hurts so bad!
    I know it was just a dog, but he was my baby!
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

so sorry to hear about your puppy. I know how hard it is to lose one!

We did have a dog who got into rat poison, Our initial tip should've been an ear scratch that wouldn't heal... luckily she was at the vet when she started to bleed from the nose, got Vitamin K right away...

If you used D-con type/warfarin, it makes an animal bleed out internally, the vitamin K keeps that from happening. Depending on the dogs' sizes and how much they got, the others may take a while to show signs.

Hope this helps.

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

My heart breaks for you. So tragic. I once lost a 5 month old puppy at the vet following surgery (spay). Then I just lost my beloved Shar Pei, Ellie, Oct 3. They are NOT just a dog, they are a much loved part of the family, and I'm sure Rowdy felt loved very much. I will pray that God will heal your pain and bring you peace.

With much sympathy,,

4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Rowdy was fine last night. He was a very hyper little dog. I didn't notice anything wrong this morning either. I don't remember if he was running around with the others or not. But he was not in here acting sick. There was not runny poop anywhere, no signs of sickness. I was only gone about 3 hours. I don't know. Maybe he had a heart attack or something. He sure wasn't used to me leaving much. I would think with poison he would get sick for awhile, I just don't understand how he could just up and die so fast.I just hate it!
    Thanks for your support!
  5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Elliesmom and wakemeup thanks so much for your kind words of comfort. They are much needed and greatly appreciated! I just about lost it today big time. It just was so hard to take. And so unexpected. He was just fine the last time I saw him. I would have thought poison would take longer. He was very small, about 4-5 pounds. But still, sounds strange to me. He was laying like he was asleep.I picked him up and just started screaming, it was really awful. My daughter took him from me and made me go sit down. My nerves are shot.

Thanks so much for being there for me! You are the greatest!
  6. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I have a Yorkie named Paddington..no other dogs are like them for sheer cuteness.

I am sick for your loss.

7. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. It is very hard to lose a pet. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You don't know for sure that Rowdy got a poisoned mouse. It could easily have been something else.

I had to put down my 2 dogs in the past year. They were older and both were ill. Both times, it was the hardest decision and my heart broke.

I had them privately cremated and I have both of my girls ashes in her own pet urn with with a picture. It helps to ease the pain, knowing I did the right thing.

It is so hard to lose a member of the family, even if it's a fur baby!

Allow yourself to grieve. Don't keep blaming yourself.

Prayers & hugs for you and your puppy, now in God's hands.
  8. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

It was not your fault! "Rowdy" knows that. They are our babies. They are the ones that love us unconditionally. I have loved and lost so many animals throught the years. (I take in abused and lost animals, so have had and still have many)

The hardest times have been when my children's pets are found deceased, by them. The screams I have heard when their friend has died. Those screams will haunt me forever.

If their is consolation, be thankful it was not your children who found "Rowdy".

I will be thinking of you and your family,
    Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie ((Big soft hugs & a tear to share))
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Oh sweetie, I am so very sorry about Rowdy. Losing a beloved part of your family, is horrid. I know from experience.

Please don't blame yourself. You did not make him die. All you have done is love him.

I'm sending gentle hugs and prayers to you. Cry and grieve, don't deny yourself that.

Please keep in touch.

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Rowdy. It's incredibly hard to lose a pet. When I was mourning the loss of one of my two old cats, a dear friend reminded me that love has nothing to do with size or species so, of course I would mourn deeply. At the animal shelter a woman broke into tears talking about the loss last year of her 20-year old cat.

That unconditional love that comes so seldom from people even when they try.

11. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Kellyann, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I know from experience that it's hard not to blame yourself. When one of our dogs got hit by a car because our fence failed I felt we could have done something more to prevent the accident. But accidents happen.

Even though you can't be sure what happened, maybe you'd feel better if you replaced the poison with traps. Then you wouldn't have to worry about your other furry children.

Don't be embarrassed about your pain, I know how much it hurts to loss a pet.

12. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I am so sorry for you loss. I know how you feel, it is
    very hard when one of our animals passaway.

Gentle bear hugs

13. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow! How devistateing! I know how you feel! been there! My little rescue dog i had for 4 years (Dazee May) started Having Seizures 1 day and i had to put her down> It about killed me!

I'm saying a prayer for you and i Hope your pain will ease up as each day passes!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Love.&.Hugs,,,Sydney
  14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I really apprieciate every single one of you more than you will ever know. I just feel awful about losing the little guy. He was so little and I don't know for sure what happened to him. I never noticed him being sick at all though. Where I found him on the bed, there was no blood, poop, nothing. Strange. Had I even thought he was even the slightest sick, I would have taken him to the vet. I suppose with time I'll get over it, but it sure does hurt!
    My dogs take my mind off a lot of my illness, they make me happy and they are so adorable. I take it really hard when something happens to them. It sounds like I'm not the only one, haha!
    Thank you all for your support!
  15. kriket

kriket New Member

Hope you are doing ok. My boyfriend had a little dog that just fell over dead one time. He was running aroung with all the other dogs and just laid down like he was going to rest and just died.

So, maybe it was not the poison. Maybe something happened to him suddenly like a heartattack. I am so sorry for your loss. I have 4 little dogs and 3 big ones and they are just like family. You get just as attached to them. They do help to ease your discomforts. HUGS to you!!!

16. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i'm so sorry to here about your puppy! losing a dog it the worst i think. my husbadn and i are also grieving the loss of one of our dogs at this time. our 10yr old pomerainian got out of the yard 2 weeks ago and we haven't found him yet. i totally can feel for you situation.

as far a the dog getting a poisened mouse. if your using a poisen w/ warfarin as one of the other posts suggested, which is the most common, check your dog food to make sure it has a large amount of vitamin k in it, a lot of foods do. vitamin k is the antidote for warfarin. i know this is too late for your precious pup, but at least it may help your other dogs.