I’m having my Thanksgiving Friday! (thanks to flare)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Nov 24, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I thought I was going to get out of Thanksgiving this year since all the people who usually come over were going out of town or made other plans. So it was going to be just the four of us (me, DH and twin daughters). Fine, I thought, low key, don’t have to cook big or clean my house.

Last week I told my girls that I was just going to make a turkey breast and a couple of sides. Well, they were devastated. “What, no wishbone? No turkey? No cranberry pudding?” I guess turkey breast doesn’t count as turkey.

Since it is their holiday, too, I caved. I bought a 14 pound turkey and all the fixins. How could I make a turkey without all the good stuff that goes with it?

I had to work Wed, so I figured I would leave work early and get a bunch of prep done ahead of time. Well, I woke up in a flare Wed morning. Dang!! My shoulder and neck were on fire. Also had the typical sore throat, headache, achy joints and flu-like feeling. I still had to go to work yesterday, so that was no fun.

When I got home at 4pm, I just crashed. Laid down with a cold rice sock on my head. I told the girls we were having Thanksgiving on Friday this year. They were a little confused, but now I think they are cool with it.

Giving myself permission to stall Thanksgiving by one day has been a good thing. Now I just hope today I come out of my flare.

We’ll be having frozen fish for Thanksgiving dinner tonight. LOL!

With any luck, turkey tomorrow! And I’m not cleaning my house.

Katy

2. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Sorry your feeling so lousy. I see in your bio that you (like myself) have tried so many different routes trying to find a solution.

Are you still going to the FFC? Did you start the antiviral med for the EBV? You might have to fill the presciption and give it a try. This is like peeling layers of that onion back. Infections can really play havoc.

Cindy
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for the sympathy. I am still going to FFC, but haven't taken the big plunge yet. All I have started as far as meds go is the T3 and Cortef.

My insurance wouldn't pay for Valtrex, but they did OK Acyclovir. I just picked it up the other day. I am really afraid to start it, since I think it will put me in a big flare mode. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and do it.

I also haven't picked up Arteminisin or Transfer Factor 4000 or some other "A" thing.

Did you just start it all at once?

I have another FFC appt set up for Dec 13, but I may postpone it until I have started some of these meds.

Katy
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes, you'll have to "take the plunge".

I started with the bare essentials after my first June appointment. The T3, vitamins, dyflucan, pain med.

Dr. Labair suspected lymes and other infections right off the bat. I had brought previous blood tests from here in Canada and they showed bacterial infections and low white blood cell count that I think indicates fighting infections.

I was a mess, crying for most of my appointment. Just couldn't stop. Feeling sorry for myself and everything I've gone through , the money I've spent and nothing helped.

Anyway when my tests came back I was started on the 3 antibiotics since I had lymes and chlamydia pneumoniae. I didn't have EBV but really low hormones. I was at our cottage when I started July 25 so I could just veg.

Is there any way you could start slow on the antiviral and see how you do and work your way up on the dosage.

Along with the antibiotics I'm also taking amantadine (anti-viral). I know the amentism (sp) is also being used by the FFC. I'm also going to start the lymes herbs, cumanda and burbur. The more amunition we have the better we'll fight this at all levels. Over time you'll be able to tolerate more but not at the beginning.

About your appointment, I'd reschedule until you have a good month or two under your belt with the antiviral that way you can discuss your progress.

Go For It! You just might be ok.

Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 11/24/2005]
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Did FFC give you a clear interpretation of your blood tests?

I have a copy of my blood test results, and Dr. LaBair went over them with me. But I'm having a hard time interpreting what they mean. She wrote little "Low" or "OK" marks on the results, but some remarks are pretty cryptic. Like some result numbers are just circled or "X'd" out. I guess it made some sense when she was going over them, but now it's all a blur.

Did you get your Lyme tested through Igenex? The only infectious thing I had tested was EBV, and I was very high on that. The only reason I haven't had the rest tested is cost. To get the rest of the panel tested would be another $600. I may have to bite the bullet on that, too.

Yes, Amantadine was the other thing she prescribed.

Katy
  6. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

When Dr. Labair phoned me with my test results I had a faxed copy in front of me. When we were going over each one individually I kept asking her for the optiomal level we should be at.

Example: DHEA: I was at 105 and I was retested Sept. 1 and my level had gone up to 234 from being on the dhea for 2 months (FFC optimal range is 200)

Progesterone: I was at 0.5 and they like to see greater then 10.

T3: I was at 300, they like 380-400 for optimal
    Reverse T3: I was 501 and retested at 130 (they like lower then 120)

I hear you about the costs of these blood tests. I think I'm now up to $2,300. out of my pocket and there are still some infectious panels I didn't have like the mycoplasma. But many times if we have the chlamydia pneu. we have both. They are both treated the same way with antibiotics. I'm taking the amantadine so if I do have other viral infections this med will help.

Also I had massage yesterday. We have a massage college here and the fee is considering lower. The second year student I had was working on my stiff neck and upper back and mentioned that I'm a shallow breather. She had me do the deep breathing while she was working on my neck and I could feel the tension releasing.

So I'm to start breathing exercises and light stretching of my neck. It will all help in conjunction with the FFC plan.

Cindy

7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

For some reason I was also sick yesterday. Just completely rest today, you will feel better tomorrow.

You are so blessed to have a wonderful family. It sounds like you will have a great dinner tomorrow!!!

I read your "bio" - what beautiful daughters!!. I also have fibro and was very sick for over ten years.

Today I am much better. The biggest thing that helped me was eliminating as much stress a possible.

I keep reading about all the experiences people are having at FFC. I live about 10 minutes from the offices of Dr. Holtorf in the Torrance, CA location.

Perhaps I will make an appt - at least to get tested for infections.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks! Seeing your results actually helps me interpret mine.

Mine were:

DHEA: 37, low. I am taking Cortef, 10mg per day (5mg in am, 5mg at noon)

Thyroid Panel:
    T4, Free: 1.1
    T3, Free: 276, low
    Reverse T3: 209
    TSH: 2.20

I’m still not clear on the T3/T4/RT3 story. I am taking compounded T3 from ITC Pharma. I am currently at 25 mcg and in about a week will go up to 37.5 mcg.

For sex hormones, I was already taking estradiol (1mg) and prometrium (100mg) since I hit menopause about 2 years ago.

My FFC levels were:

Progesterone: 3.8, low
    Estradiol: 63
    Pregnenolone: 19, low

So I upped my prometrium to 200mg and added 25mg Pregnenolone.

I tested negative for Candida, but I still added probiotics.

Wow! Those blood test costs add up, don’t they?! I agree that it seems unnecessary to get some infectous tests. If I am already treating my EBV with antivirals, why should I care if I also have other viruses? It’s the same treatment. I guess it is good just to know, but it seems like it could be an unnecessary expense. I guess the other factor would be that you would have a baseline. Then if they retest in six months (more $$$), they can see if your numbers actually go down.

Right now, it’s the bacterial infections that might make a difference. Then I would have to start antibiotics, too.

I also get massage. I started at a massage school, too. Now I see a woman who cuts me a really great deal. If I do a pre-pay, she charges me $30 per hour. I can live with that! I just write her a check for $300 for 10 massages. That lasts 5 months (one massage every two weeks). Well worth it! She frequently works on my pecs and my diaphram to help with breathing. As well as, of course, neck and back.

I ordered a Cuddle Ewe from ProHealth, and I’m excited to get that. I also ordered Ultimate Greens. I am going to replace my multi-vitamin with that. I’m hoping it helps.

Katy
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for your support. It means alot!

I am actually feeling better! Yippee! I think just making the decision to put everything off one day helped ease the stress. I'm not sure why there is even stress, though, since it's just the four of us. Guess I'm doing it to myself!

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Katy
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Both my girls are really good little helpers. Just tell them what to do and they do it. They are eager to help.

The biggest challenge is coming up with an "even" amount of things for them to do.

Since they are twins, they compare everything. So if I give one a chore, I have to give the other one a fairly equal chore. But tomorrow, there should be plenty of chores to go around!

I'll keep in mind the idea of getting a take out dinner from a restaurant. I'm hoping by next year that I'll be so healthy that it won't even be an issue!

I can't believe it, but I'm out of my flare. It was like a 24-hour flare! It's a good sign that they are getting shorter and shorter. Yippee!

mmmm.....I smell those fish sticks. Gotta go eat my Thanksgiving fish!

Katy
  11. libra55

libra55 New Member

I did this one year with Christmas. I woke up so sick I couldn't take my head off the pillow. So I let the husband and kids go see what "Santa" had left, and open the gifts, and we had our dinner the next day. No one seemed to mind too much.

Hope you feel better.

Michelle