Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stinker56, Jan 5, 2009.

1. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I am addicted to drinking sodas. I have done this my entire life and can't seem to stop myself. A few months back I was down to drinking only two a day but now I am back to about six or seven a day and I know this isn't helping my joints.

My questions to you all is what can I drink in place of regular sodas? The pharmacist says diet drinks are addictive and worse for you than regular soda.

I have dry mouth and keep something at my side all the time. I was just wondering if there was some suggestions you could give me to help me break my habit.

2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I drink a lot of flavored waters. They are of expensive though. I also drink canned iced tea. I haven't drank soda in many years as I cannot handle the carbonation.
  3. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i was never a big water fan, but while trying to lose weight a few years back, i started drinking (really) cold bottled water.

it took awhile, but before i knew it, i was drinking the water all the time, and actually craved it. it's always so refreshing to gulp down some cold water when i'm thirsty, i can actually feel it hydrating my body.

i really don't like drinking anything but water now. sweet drinks just don't do it for me.

instead of grabbing a soda one day, start with just one bottle of water. try gulping down as much as you can, trying to finish it. you'll see that you won't be as thirsty feeling, and possibly grab less of the soda.

sodas and sweet drinks actually don't quench your thirst, leaving you thirstier faster.

best wishes to you.
  4. Bxteacher

Bxteacher Member

I drink water all the time..a soda once in a while..but water is good for you, your body/skin etc. My dentist also once gave me some special toothpaste & gum for dry mouth. I have a bottle of water with me AT ALL TIMES.

5. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

You could try drinking bottled water with Crystal light packets that you can put in yourself. You can get the sugar free ones or even the regular ones have only 5 calories as compared to the 100+ you get from soda. They are really tasty.
  6. millennia

millennia New Member

Have you tried seltzer?
  7. DocDebbee

DocDebbee New Member

It is very important to make sure your mouth is kept hydrated as well as your body in general. I've told my patients two 12-oz cans of caffeinated pop a day or 4 cups of coffee max is okay in general unless there are particular reasons they should drink less. Aside from that, one should drink a glass of juice then have another 2-4 glasses of water, which generally provides enough water for most people.

However, if you are still left with a dry mouth thet I would recommend 1-3 caplets of Evoxac 30mg a day, divided every 6 to 8 hours. It is well tolerated and generaly doesn't cause dry eyes (as much as I can determine, after using it for 4 yrs). A severely dry mouth can lead to a lot of dental decay and gingivitis, something I've experienced despite the best efforts to avoid it. I can't imagine how bad it would be without the Evoxac, water, and good hygiene!

Give it a try at least!