I almost had to call 911 today!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Feb 24, 2006.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

On my way to work I stopped and picked up a turkey sandwich at a local fast food chain...........when I got to work I started eating it and my throat closed up almost immediately ..........I could barely get air in or out to breathe.........................

I was trying so hard not to panic but after a few minutes it seemed to be closing up almost to the point of not being able to get too much air in or out...........So...........

I started running over to a restaurant that is right next door to the school and try to get help.............I was starting to get faint like I was going to pass out................

Maybe from panic..............anyway I got into the restaurant but by the time I got to the counter .........my throat opened up.....................THANK GOD!

This is the second time that I have been eating turkey ( from the same restaurant ) and this has happened!
    It has also happened when I have eaten chicken at a famous sandwich shop...................

Do any of you think it is something they put on the turkey/chicken maybe sulfites?????????????

This was soooooooooooooooo scary I am pretty sure it is the turkey but why?

Hugs
    thanks for helping me
    Doxy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

if you do get to an allergist to test you! you should keep an epipen on you at all times...especially when you eat at the sandwich.......

are you allergic to sulfates?

my son is allergic to fish and seafood...poor little bugger had some shrimp and lobster one time and then he broke out in this rash all over from head to toe...dr' said it could have been anything he had eaten in the last 7-10 days that caused this....

well this was his first introduction to fish or seafood...

finally this past year i got hi tested...well he was positive for fish...they don't like to do the seafood test unless they are like near the emergency room because of the quick reaction......

i just had another thought, maybe it is what some people say have happen to them where they have a hard time swallowing...like a gulp that won't go down...

i have had that happen ususally i would be eating peanut butter off from a spoon....

get check for allergies if and when you can..if you haven't already....

great big hug for the new grandma

jodie
  3. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I don't know if it could be an allergic reaction but since it has happened more than once while eating the same thing it could be.

But the other night we went out to eat and I had been eating a pasta salad and then i started taking my meds and was just trying to swallow a vicodin and it got stuck and wouldn't go down I began feeling weak thinking I was going to pass out.

I kept on taking drinks of my soda to get it down and it still wouldn't go down, my dh was getting up to help me and call 911 for me then I took another drink and this time it went down thank God!

I know how scary it is to go through that, after my episode I didn't want to eat anything else but my blood sugar was low so I had to.

Take care and stay way from turkey sandwiches!!
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Poor you Doxy, I would avoid this until you get tested. It occurs to me it could be the dressing.

Love Anne C
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

A lot of chicken and turkey from fast food restaurants is treated with MSG. Salads from McDonalds have it, so I bet you had a reaction to that. Sorry about that...you'll probably have to start bringing your own... Terri
  6. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

My throat closes like that when I have tomato.

I just have to stay really calm and not make it worse, because not even an epipen stops my reaction to it.

Just another one of those stupid medical things that no one can explain!

~Amanda
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

There is a condition call esophogeal spasms. These spasms can cause difficulty in swallowing.

Is it possible you were eating fast? Maybe if you eat very slow, and chew alot before swallowing it will help.

Also GERD can cause this problem. On one website it says if you have this problem to avoid very hot and very cold liquids.

Hopefully you can see your doctor before this happens again.

Hope you are feeling better....
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  8. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

are you allergic to any antibiotics?

Much poultry, unless it is organic is treated with antibiotics, so if you have a sensitivity to antibiotics, that could be causing the reaction.

If not, I would guess it is additives or MSG...

take great care where you eat.
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member