I almost squashed my chihuahua!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

As if I'm not in enough pain..........last night I was coming down the stairs holding my puppy, and an empty plate.

Just about the time I got 3/4 of the way down, my foot slipped, and down I went, bump, bump, bump down the rest of the stairs ( on my bottom ).

I hit the TV cabinet with the plate, and knocked off the paint, and wound up sitting on the floor still holding the puppy. How I kept from dropping her, or squeezing her too tight I'll never know. I was almost afraid to look at her for fear of what I'd done to her.

My fears were put to rest when she just looked up at me as if to say " Mommy, wheeee, do it again!!!".

Am I sore today!? My poor back took a beating, and I'm black and blue.

My husband witnessed the whole thing. I could tell by the look on his face, he thought me, and the dog were "gonners". It wasn't funny then, but I'm sure it was quite a sight.

I guess my plans for going shopping at the mall tomorrow are cancelled, I can hardly get around.

I swear, my 87 year old Mother has less aches, and pains than I do.

Kinsie

2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm so glad you weren't seriously hurt...and your dog's alive! How awful. We live in a house with stairs, but we will be moving in a couple years to a one-story house. It's hard enough at 58 to scale these stairs!

I'm sure it wasn't funny then, but it will be later...and the way you described it, it did bring out a smile after I knew all was well...except for your poor back and the missed shopping.

Take care...

Sue
  3. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

When I told my Mother this morning that I fell down the stairs she said " I think you need some time off ". I agree! But,I don't think that will help me keep my balance. She was just trying to think of something to help me.

I often wonder since I fall alot at 57, ( I have always been bad about falling), what will happen to me if I should live to be old.?! I'll have to be in a wheel chair just to protect me from myself.

We have always liked a house with an upstairs, but my guess is if we ever move, we will go for all ground leve1.

Kinsie
  4. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

Isn't it crazy how clumsy the FM can make us? I always have a bunch of bruises on me and can rarely remember even when I got them LOL! I'm so happy that the pup came out fine, and I hope your bruises and pain feels better soon. Aren't dogs like the best therapy for Fibro? I don't know what I'd do without my 3 dogs.

Jessica
  5. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Ouch Ouch...I am so glad you are ok and the lil chiwaw!!

I hope your back gets to feeling better soon and sorry your having to cancel your shopping! The way you said your chiwaw looked at you is probably the way mine would have looked at me.

I am a clumsy one myself and im only 31 sniff sniff..

We have a long step of steps which are concreate(sp) underneath the carpet going down to our Basement and I try to avoid going down them as much as possible.

((((Hugs))))
    Bluerose
  6. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

Stairs and knees - ugh. I've been in this ranch style house for 2 years now and I don't miss the stairs. There's been times when I had to crawl up and down them like a 2 year old. Even on the worst days now there are none YAY!!!!!

I do miss having a basement for hanging out and storing stuff tho.
  7. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I am so glad you both survived the fall; I'll tell you a little story to maybe make you laugh a bit. My sister Jacki (younger than I--she's 21 now) is the biggest clutz I have ever met. When she was a freshman in high school, she went to a math contest at a nearby college (I think she got an honorable mention, btw), and was walking out of one of the buildings--all of the entrances to this building are huge concrete ramps. Well, she was wearing some platform style shoes, and she tripped and fell. She really twisted her ankle--we even wonder if she didn't break something--it swelled so big and was so black and blue and ugly.

Anyway, she was hideously embarrassed, so she pretended it wasn't a big deal, but everyone made fun of her. After all, how many people get hurt at a MATH CONTEST? She was telling our Uncle Don (a math professor) that she sprained her ankle at a math contest and he didn't even crack a smile when he said, "Was it full-contact allgebra?"

Lol. I thought that was pretty hilarious anyway.

Also, one time she was house sitting for our Uncle Fran; he had just refinished his woodfloors, and they were pretty slick. It was late at night and Jacki went to the kitchen to get a glass of ice water (a glass glass). She walked back to the living room, slipped, fell flat on her butt, spilled her water all over the newly finished floors, but she didn't drop the glass (how she held on to it, she doesn't know). She was all by herself, and she thinks she broke her tailbone; it still hurts her a few years later.

Anyway, she was in so much pain she just layed there in her ice water with our Uncle's cats sitting there looking at her like "Well, are you going to get up? You made a mess, and we don't want to get blamed for it!"

Why she told anyone is beyond me. But, Jacki is always good for a laugh--and no, I am not trying to make fun of her (though as her older sister, I think I have the right)--she is really good natured about it. She's a klutz and she knows it.

So, you are not alone---she doesn't have FM; she is very overweight, so maybe that's why she is so klutzy, though I have seen many very graceful overweight people--Jacki just isn't one of them! She's a riot.

Nicole
  8. nina2

nina2 New Member

There are much easier ways to make it down the stairs.

That trip will be memorable.

Glad that you and the little pup got through it alright. Whew!
    That had to be a fright. Scary.

It's amazing how through it all you held on to the pup.Wow!
    Hope you feel better real soon,
    nina
  9. ellora355

ellora355 New Member

And the pup too, I have a 15 month chihuahua and I have to be very careful too, cuz she has a habit of getting under my feet. She has two tags on her now and it almost sounds like a bell when she is wlking around but aleast I can hear her now. Sorry you hurt yourself and hope you will be feeling better soon.

ellora
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I had the same thing happen to me, but I was carrying a baby, my son, Matt, and I was outside going down 4 cement steps. He was fine, but my foot was in bad shape for many days. I should have gone to the doctor, but I didn't.

I was wearing slip on sandals with heals. I just slipped because of the shoes and my foot twisted. To make matters worse, we have company staying with us then too. I think this must have been in 1981. Glad I didn't have FMS then, but I should had my share of accidents.

Boy am I happy the puppy was okay and that you'll feel better soon.

Hugs,
    Faye

11. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Just got back to my computer today, and read more replies. It looks like I'm not the only one who falls alot.

I'm still very sore from the fall. I have had a cough left from some kind of virus I got a few weeks ago, and everytime I cough my side hurts like the dickens!

Kinsie
  12. Daeshay76

Daeshay76 New Member

I am so glad you and your puppy are alright. i hate stairs in a house. When I was 7 months pregnant with my 3 year old son I feel down the stairs all 14 of them! Went into early labor that had to be stopped and everything. I was so sore and in so much pain from that fall and was put on bedrest for the next month and a half. Never again will I live in another home with stairs. I am very clumsy