i am 42 yrs old. i got a card and subsription to join aarp?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 69mach1, Jan 6, 2007.

1. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

isn't that for people a little older than me or do i qualify because i am on ssdi? just wondering.

jodie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I was surprised when I heard from AARP at age 50.

I once subscribed to a magazine. Two months later I was urged to renew.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

people, 50 and over. maybe they are just trying to remind me i am not getting any younger.

jodie
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I also thought it was 50. Must be they're widening their circle.

Tell you what though, the publications they send out with a membership have a lot of good general info in them.

Still, it's a shock, isn't it. I remember being horrified when I got that first letter. Me??? A member of AARP??? That's for old people!!! Not necessarily.

Marta

5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

LOL... I almost posted that but did not... too weird...
    Don't feel bad... I am 35 and guess what came in the mail on FRIDAY...an AARP card!

Was thinking maybe they are aware of how old I FEEL rather than how old I AM.

Too weird, huh???

Crickety Ole'Hugs
    Kim
  6. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

I always have my Mom save their magazines for me. I love them! LOL I will turn 45 in June so I'm sure they will start hounding me soon enough. Strange I haven't heard from them though, I have been disabled since '92 and on SSDI for many years.

Lynna
  7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Maybe you can apply for a "Greeter's" job at Wal-Mart now!

They turned me DOWN saying I was "TOO OLD," WHAT!!!

Joe
    P.S. Jodie, I'll be up to Novato in about an hour. I
    think I have an idea as to where you may have left that
    thermometer!
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Go for it. Get the card, you get all sorts of perks with it and think how surprised people will be when you show them your card, the youngest looking 50 year old since Cher!!!

Watch some of the insurances though as they subcontract to Hartford who can raise the rates before long. We had a big problem with flood insurance with them (AARP) due to Hartford misrepresenting the cover.

But I agree, AARP is great except for this and ONE bug I have with them. They are always going on about be yourself yet they airbrush all the photos of the stars turning 50, this annoys me like crazy as it discredits normal aging.

Love Annie cromwell
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i guess it sounds like i am allowed to join because i have ssdi...shoot need to take any breaks i can get in life.

jodie
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

Do you have to pay to join? Stupid question I know. Nothing is free.

And Ouch, $45 for 2 cars? We pay $600 quarterly for 3 cars and a travel trailer. All older cars but one is an 18 yr. old male driver. I may have to consider AARP.