I AM A NEWBIE,I'M GLAD TO MEET YOU ALL. HAVE TAKEN NEURONTIN FOR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PUTTER, Jan 1, 2003.

1. PUTTER

PUTTER New Member

MY NEUROLOGIST STARTED ME ON NEURONTIN FIVE YRS AGO FOR CERVICAL NEUROPATHY. IF IT WORKED FOR ME IT WOULD KEEP ME AWAY FROM AN APPOINTMENT WITH A NEUROSURGEON. IT WORKED JUST FINE. (I FEEL FIBRO PAINS IN MY NECK BUT THAT IS ALL PART OF THE TRIGGER POINTS.) I STARTED WITH 300MG TABLETS 3X'S A DAY, AND SHE WORKED ME SLOWLY UP TO THE PRESENT-
    800MG 3X'S A DAY. 2400 MG A DAY.
    THE ONLY SIDE AFFECT THAT I HAVE IS BEING DROWSY AFTER LUNCH, SO I JUST SIT AND RELAX A WHILE,MAYBE NOD OFF, BUT I DON'T MIND THAT.....
    I WAS DX WITH FMS AND CFS 2 YEARS AGO,AND THAT IS WHY SHE UPPED THE MGS OF THE NEURONTIN.
    WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR,
    PUTTER
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Nice to meet you. My doctor just started me on Neurontin for pain in my hands, possibly carpal tunnel syndrome. I take 300 mg. at bedtime. You'll find this board a great place to meet people and get a lot of information. I hope you have a happy and healthy New Year!

Annette2
  3. PAT

PAT New Member

I am glad to hear more people talk about Neurotonin. I was so afraid to try it. I just started it a little over a week ago. I am on 300 mg at night, and have found I must take it early in the eve. (about 7pm) so I can still get up at 7 am. Otherwise, I am TOO sleepy to get up.I have 5 kids and cannot go around sleepy all day! I sure am sleeping more soundly at night. Haven't noticed any change in my pain though.

What wonder is this; when I increase the dose as directed, do I HAVE to take them during the day? It's time to up it to two a day. If I take it in the morning, I don't think I can handle it. It makes me feel drunk! I ran TWO stoplights the other morning, still feeling the effects of it! Do the side effects subside any??

Sorry I have bombarded you all with questions! I figured a lot of people taking it would be reading this post!
    Putter, you have come to a great board for FMS information and support! Patti G

Are you taking any other meds?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2003]
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Please use upper case only where proper. Alot of us have eye problems related to our FM and our eyes cannot digest upper case, so we can't read your posts. You'll get alot more replies too if you don't use all caps.

Thanks,
    Marilyn :)
  5. Rosesark

Rosesark New Member

Hi Putter, i am also still a newbie here. I am also taking neurontin, i have for about 2-3 months now, can't remember exactly. At first it made me very drowsie and in la-la land, but my body has gotten used to it and now it really doesn't effect me much. It is said that your body will adjust nd mine has, so hang in there for a while. Hopefully it will for you too. Rose
  6. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

my primary dx is cfids by cheney, but body pain, aching, worse in last l.5 yrs. bedridden l7/24 hrs. a day

much flu like illness symptoms and i take 300 Neur. HS
    100 mg. in AM and l00 mg. about 2 PM have been on since ll/98 when cheneye dx me, doesn't help this bizarre fire ants snadpaper burnign tingling rapsy drynesss in tongue throat and bronahcials , helps my nerves deal with it though everytime i try to advance, get headaches

also i have the neurally mediated hpotension symptoms ie where body don't hold potassium sodium, we pee it out,

kidney /nephrologist told me neur. makes lose sodium,
    naturpaths and altenratives hate all drugs and say you can't heal if taking drugs as they "all leave toxic" residues

this keeps me stressed and depressed cause i'm sicker than ever despite going to Dr. Cheney since ll/98

question: Is neuontin a toxic drug? Can you heal if have to take drugs?

i do know nuerontin does not go thru our 450 cytocrome systems ie the liver per my pharmacist so that is good goes thru renal,

i also take Klonipine l mg. at bed (HS) is that toxic?

anyone???? paul Mark
  7. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Hi, Putter, If I leave suddenly, my computer is hot.........
    I'm new to this board, too. Every one is so nice. I've been on Neurontin for about 5 yr, and now am up to 800mg. 5x a day, and I have gotten used to the drowsiness. I have FMS/MPS as well as CFS ! and can handle the drug. It seemed to help with my nerves a lot in the beginning, and carpel tunnel,& Plantar Fascitis,-they are gone! but my FMS symptoms are very bad now, getting progressivly worse over the past 2 years. I have had Fibromyalgia for about 10 yr.
    I am also on Klonipin, and, yes, Paulmark, Drugs are toxic- any naturopath will tell you that. And any Dr. will tell you that Herbs are toxic, too! Are Herb Natural? Sure! But they get Digitalis from the root of a tree in South America! How Natural can you get? I think it's all in how you use drugs...to help, or if they hurt, then stop.
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Welcome, Putter. I'm glad the Neurontin is working for you!
    I have just started on Neurontin, 100 mgs. at bedtime and am amazed at the dosages I see you all taking here! I hope I do not need that large a dose, because there is no way I can afford it, and I'll have to go off it rather than spend that kind of moolah!
    Fibromeister made a good point! Yes, all drugs are toxic,they poison one system to help another. In our case, most of the drugs we take poison the sympathetic nervous system in order to help the parasympathetic nervous system. The "natural" stuff does the same things though. Many plants have tons of toxins in them...it's their defense against bugs. Basil, Celery and mushrooms are major offenders in this way, for example. One reason peanuts are the cheapest and most widely grown nut is that they are loaded with a potent liver toxin called afalatoxin, which also keeps bugs at bay, thereby saving farmers a bundle and making peanuts profitable. Those with compromised immunity should not eat peanuts more than once every ten days, if that. Many of our "unnatural" drugs come from natural sources that have had the potent ingredient seperated out from them. There just isn't any hard and fast line between natural and not natural. It's confusing for sure!
    As to whether we can heal while on drugs, I don't know, but I suspect they don't help,esp. when they cover up symptoms, thereby allowing us to continue our bad health habits.
    But, I do know that there is research to show that untreated pain causes changes in the biochemistry of the body that can eventually kill you. So, I'd say that sometimes drugs are the lesser of two evils. I will always vote for quality of life over quantity, but that is just my personal preference.
    Klutzo
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Putter, just stopped to welcome you to our world.

Happy New Year!

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]