I am a newbie with hand pain, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jesolomon, Jan 2, 2003.

1. jesolomon

jesolomon New Member

I have at times debilatating hand pain. Makes life complicating with 2 kiddos and full time school (with note taking!) Help. Does anyone have suggestions?
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

available to you, it's just a question of which one works best. Choose from:

Heat treatment (rice bags/wheatie bags etc)
    Massage
    Magnesium supplementation
    Acupucture
    NSAID drugs (Ibuprofen etc)

I suspect a combination of two of the above might help. Depends if it's neuropathic pain or arthritic in origin. If neuropathic (more likely), I'd suggest the wrist massage and NSAID combination.

Good luck!
    -Marcus

3. karen55

karen55 New Member

carpal tunnel syndrome? That could be a cause also. I have that, osteo arthritis and FMS. My hands hurt all of the time, sometimes it's not so bad, and some days I can barely use them. I bought a paraffin spa to use for my hands. You keep dipping them in the wax until you have a fairly thick glove of wax. You can wrap a towel or plastic bag over them and leave on for 15 minutes. The deep, moist heat helps, although it's a temporary fix. I use mine pretty much daily, particularly during the week when I work.

By the way, welcome to the board!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2003]
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have hand (and foot) pain a lot! Very common to us. I also get a swollen & inflamed feeling in my hands (yet, my hands are NOT inflamed or swollen, they just throb & feel that way). I often, as Marcus suggested, use heat--put my feet on a heating pad, hands on a microwaveable little buckwheat pillow. However, I realize this doesn't help you at all at school taking notes!! I don't find anti-inflammatories help at all (probably because there's no real inflammation; makes sense they wouldn't help!) Some are on low-dose elavil or something like that to help pain; didn't help mine, but others say it does help them. Mine goes in stages, worse at times, better at times....Hope you can find some combination that takes the edge off the pain for you, I admire your stamina, being in school full-time & two small ones! Hope you can feel better & welcome...

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. jesolomon

jesolomon New Member

Thanks for the welcome. It's comforting to talk to others with FMS. I will definately try some of those suggestions. THanks again.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello, welcome to the board. I see you have already gotten all the advice you can probably handle right now!

So just stopped to welcome you.

Have a Happy New Year!

Shalom, Shirl
  7. jolly

jolly New Member

If you rub out the trigger points in your muscles it will alleviate the hand pain and numbness, too. You can do it yourself at home. Trigger points are little knots that get in your muscles and restrict the blood and lymph flow and entrap nerves. I've done this and it works - promise! There's an excellent instruction book you can have delivered to your door for $18 off amazon - "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. It's worth it's weight in gold as it works for all over your body. I've eliminated almost all of my pain by following this book. Jo Ellen
  8. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I have pain in the ring finger and the pinky also over the top of hand and bottom but just on the side where my fingers hurt. Does that make sense? I have found that water therapy helps and water exercises for your hands help.
  9. j-bearmama

j-bearmama New Member

I have had severe hand pain for several years.
    My Dr. insisted I be checked for Carpal tunnel.
    YEP I have CTS.

I have the brace and try to be careful yadda yadda yadda...

anyway. I got a gift from my husband for christmas and I SWEAR it is helping!

It is a magnetic wristband.
    It's called TheraP made by Homedics.
    He got it at wal mart for less than $10 he said.

It not only helps the hands BUT also takes the "edge" off my other pains. (whole body, even headaches!)

Now you have to understand. I do NOT believe in any of the gimmicky bracletts etc. BUT I swear by the thing.

Some how the magnets in it helps with blood flow and oxygenating the blood.
    I don't understand the science around it. but sure enough, I have noticed a decrease in the severity of the pain.

I still need my motrin. But it takes the pain from
    " wanting to crawl in a hole and die" to "I feel pretty sore today."

It has made my WORST days into just bad days. and my bad days into almost half way decent.

It's not a cure all, but every little bit helps and the BEST part is. I'm not putting MORE chemicals into my body.

A good tip for ANY pain. Take some Magnesium pills, MSM, and glucosamine/condroiten.
    I notice my calf pain was GONE when I took it.
    as an experiment I went off all of them and WOW! It felt like my legs were going to just crumble under me.( in another expirament I tried just ONE of the pills for a week and went off it and tried another etc... results: magnesium is GREAT for muscle pains, cramps, spasms.
    MSM also good. the glucosamine/ condroiten seems to be very good for my joints. they all take the edge off.

I also was diagnosed with plantar facialitis (similar, but not the same as bone spurs).
    Those suppliments help that too.
    Unfortunately, I HAVE to work.
    I am on my feet 6 hours a night on concrete floor.

So any relief from foot pain is a plus.

try the pills and pick up one of those wrist band doo hickies.

If you haven't been tested for carpul tunnel, I suggest you have that done too.

I have to be honest with you though. the EMG test that they do for CTS is not fun.
    I highly recomend you take something like motrin before you go. you might want a ride home too depending on how bad your p ain is that day. your hands will be sore after the test, making it hard to drive.

You may consider NOT having both hands tested on the same day.
    The good news is, you have a REAL excuse not to have to do dishes or other chores you need your hands for for the rest of the day! :)

God Bless,
    and may you sleep in blissful slumber!
    Heather
  10. achy

achy New Member

My hands get so bad some days i can't use them...just typing this is almost unbearable. I have found some help though....
    do a search for thermoskin gloves...you can also search for the "feelgoodcatalogue" dot com site. These gloves are amazing. Made for arthritis hands...they have 3/4 lenght fingers so they help wiht knuckle pain too. they are pricey, $50 inc tax...but worth it! you can also try the handeze gloves...most craft stores have them, or search the web. They are cheaper, $15, but not as heavy duty.
    I am so sorry you have this. It is so aggrevating when you can't use your hands...what R U supposed to do??
    I have had to buy one of thos big handled battery toothbrushes, I was so tired of jabbing my toothbursh into my gums..all my brushes now have big handles. I am looking for silverware wiht larger handles.
    My hands also go numb now....heaing to the neuro....
    I hope it gets better for you. If you can afford it, try the gloves..I couldn't type this wihtout them
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  11. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I've had FM for over 12 years and started having hand & arm/elbow problems about 2 1/2 years ago. I did a lot of Physical Therapy and learned that stretches really help. Straighten out your arm and flex the hand towards the under side of your wrist- gripping the hand with your opposite hand- and do GENTLE stretching. Do this often & especially when feeling pain. Also try contrast baths- fill one sink with hot water & the other with cold water- dipping in hot water first then to the icy cold water. This feels awesome to me! We once were at a resort with hot & cold dipping pools & I felt great doing this. Modify how you do things - I have to empty the dishwaher in 3rds, grip steering wheel loosly etc. I just tried to do some painting yesterday so I am a mess! My hands fell asleep several times last night-(carpal tunnel)Also Achy suggested the gloves - I bought a pair for my mother in law & she loves them. I plan to save up for some too.Best Wishes & again, welcome!
    Darla