I am a newby. Still dazed by all this.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KCD, May 2, 2003.

1. KCD

KCD New Member

I am still dazed by the diagnosis and all the info. And of course all the meds and side effects. Does it get easier?
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

One day at a time . . .
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Welcome to the board!! I had sensory overload when I first started coming to the board-I had to read a little at a time and take notes. I know this sounds silly but brain fog really gets me and can be scary at times!
    I hope you like it here!! The board has been a great comfort for me.
    Vicky
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello, welcome to our world. Sorry you were diagnosed with FM? CFS?, well either one or both is a shock to us when we are first diagnosed.

Take the information in small doses, it can be overwhelming for someone new at this.

Try to figure out what is your worst problems, then work on them first.

For an example, when I found this board, I read all the posts on 'sleeplessness', then I took the ones on 'pain' and so on and so forth.

I used so much ink and paper on printouts that I have a file cabinet full of papers on FM/CFS, and two 3" binders alphabetized with information.
    I can't carry them they are so heavy (my husband told me to get 1" size, but I had to have the 3"!).

As for the meds, I finally stopped them, they were causing me more trouble than they were helping. Found out I am allergic to most of them anyway, but others do quite well on meds.

I do much better on supplements, and am only taking Xanax once a day now for racing brain syndrome.

Again, welcome to the board, if you have questions (and I know you do!) please ask them, and we will try and help with the answers.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Don't feel bad about the overwhelmed feeling but I am sooo glad you have found this board right away. I have been diagnosed for several years and just found this board a couple of months ago. I still can't believe the vast information and support passed between us! I think you will find the understanding and info here invaluable. Looking forward to your posts...love, Rebel
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to the board.

Does it get easier? Yes and no.

The learning curve is HUGE at first, but you have come to the right place. We have very knowledgeable members here and we also have a very large library. Learning all you can about your illness and the treatment options is the best thing you can do to help yourself.

What gets to many of us is the "everness" of our illnesses. One day, we may feel we have acclimated to our illnesses, and the next, we feel sick and tired of hurting and feeling sick and tired. Our moods do fluxuate and this is also part of what we have to contend with.

On the positive side, many of us have gotten better with treatments. Of course, not every treatment works for all of us, so it's a matter of trial and error.

There is new research and new treatments all the time, so stay positive and take it one day at a time.

Love, Mikie
  7. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am new as well. Living with fibro is like a form of art, sometimes we have to try a lot of things. Medications have usually given me problems, especially antidepressants. I take a lot of supplements which helps, especially malic acid and magnesium, but everyone is different. Good luck, you will get support from this board. Chelz.