I am a sweat-hog, exciting news on cooling down......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Jul 18, 2003.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I finally found out what those things are that people wear around their neck at fairs, I see them all over the place but never knew where to get one, well, this wonderful sweet gal at my pharmacy, (I am a very frequent visitor as I am sure you all can relate to) was wearing one the other day so I asked her,

"OH PLEASE, PLEASE, WHERE DO I GET ONE!!!!!"

Can I buy one I ask???

She says no, but I am sure my friend would make you one.

So I say "Oh no, I don't even know her but can she just tell me what that chemical is that is inside them and I can make one myself"

So, today I go in and the gal who made them apparantly works there too, so she tells me it is right here, on the shelf, (this is a Rite Aid drug store) and it is a product called "Soil Moist" granules, it is by the potting soil, inside plant fertilizer, etc. It is in a tub and is $11.00 and it only takes 1/2 tspn per cool collar, it is like a rice sock but for cold & moist.

So I guess you just make the tube shaped thingy (technical term) for around your neck, then put in the granules, then sew it closed, then soak it in cold water, store in fridge in between uses, soak it in water as it dries out, replenish the water as it needs it and instant relief!!!!!

I happen to be making a quilt right now so I have tons of scrap cotton fabric and tomorrow I am gonna make as many as I can and just give them to everyone I know.

It is a 1 lb tub so I oughtta get about a zillion out of one pkg so I am so excited.

Maybe I am the last one on earth to get this one figured out, just thought I would share.

Jaci
  2. KCD

KCD New Member

I could'nt resist...KCD
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

QVC sells them. But I will have to check the website and see what name they call them.

My husband used to get them for me from work, but I don't think they have them anymore. I have one here and they really are great.

Let you know when I find out.................

Shalom, Shirl
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

thank you so much! I had one years ago and they really do work. I saw them at the local gas station store but before I could get one, they were sold out.

They sure cost less than $11, but like you said, I could make them for everyone. And what a great idea someone had about dogs wearing them.

I'm also making a quilt and I have loads of material scraps. I'm going to get some of that stuff next trip to Walmart.

JoAnn
  5. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I never could find them around here where I live,so my sister has been sending me one every now and then.I am going to check it out and make my own supply so I don't run out.I am a "hot one" and my son is too.
  6. tnnanatx

tnnanatx New Member

do you put anything else in the sock besides the soil moist? I wasn't clear on it. Sounds wonderful.

Staying cool ,
    Trudi
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

can be found at any garden center. $11 will buy you enough to make tons of these things.
  8. pooped

pooped New Member

God sent me an angel via your post!!! I am also a major sweat hog. It has taken over my life! I HATE IT!! I will deffinitely check into your information and see if I can't come up with one of these things. The sweating has been an overwhelming part of this disease for me. Thanks for your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pooped
  9. pooped

pooped New Member

QVC item number F1054 original "Cool Thing" reusable water activated cooling wrap.

there add says it will stay cool for days and refrigeration keeps it even cooler extending the relief for several weeks without reactivation.

$13.39 plus $3.97 shipping and handling

pricey but I would pay more if it really works. anyway, I ordered one and I will keep you posted.
  10. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I've never heard or seen such a thing. But, it sounds great! I HATE being sweaty... it's so unladylike. haha

Thanks!

Lisa
  11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Not a sock, too heavy I would think. The sock is the heat wrap for rice, this is a gelatin type of beads, you put about 1/2 tspn inside the tube shaped cotton baggie type of thing that you sew, any size & shape you want, I am gonna make mine about 4 inches by 12, so I will cut my fabric 8" by 12, fold it over, sew up one end and the long side, then put in my (full tspn for this size) dry pellets of the soil moist, spoon it in, sew up the end. Then when all done soak it for about 20 mins in a bowl of ice water, it will swell in a very short time, it holds the cold water & some type of chemical reaction keeps it very cold.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am going to make up a bunch of them this next week, if any of you would like one I would be happy to send you one, I can mail it flat in a regular size envelope. Send me an email with subject saying "send me one please" and I will start a list, then I will confirm & send you an address to send your self addressed stamped envelope, just send me an envelope made out to you with a stamp on it and I will send it out to you.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am not gonna take any specific requests for a color or shape, I will just make up a whole lot of the larger ones, one that will fit around the neck and a tie in the front.

Otherwise if you want to make them yourself just get the product & sew away.

I am thinking what a fun way to maybe earn a little money from home, I could make up a bunch and sell them at craft fairs or events for 5 dollars. Not to you guys, I would just send you one but I would think some of us who are desperate to make $$$$ could take advantage of this. My hubby said to me, re: selling them, "Well, it would be seasonal", I said "Not to fibro & chronic fatigue people like me". I sweat 24/7 so bad.

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2003]
  12. Therrell

Therrell New Member

I am so glad that someone asked this question and that you got so many different answers. I have never seen it on QVC and haven't seen it at the fair, but I did just get a new catalog from The Sharper Image, and there is an item in the catalog that works in this fashion. I am going to purchase one at the mall. I'll let you know how it works. Can't remember how much it was, but if it works it's worth it.
  13. Therrell

Therrell New Member

This was too funny. There must be a lot of us out there. I went to QVC to see what they had. The item I think F1054 or whatever it was is not SOLD OUT. They do have two very interesting items.

F5850- a cool visor with one cool neck wrap.

F8091- this is 5 of the neck wraps. You have to get the package of 5, not just 1. Who cares if it is COOL.
  14. tnnanatx

tnnanatx New Member

I would love to have one. Let me know where to send the envelope to please.

txnana@aol.com

You're an ANGEL. Here's to cooler days. I believe you can sell them. I'd be glad to pay for one.

Bless You,
    Trudi
  15. pooped

pooped New Member

Jaci,
    You have an awesome idea here. I know you could sell them all year round to fibromites and probably at much more reasonable prices than QVC is charging but still enough to make a little profit. I will probably be your number one customer. I want one for the boat, one for work, one for the car, one for the bedroom, one for the cottage, one for the kitchen, one for my inlaws house, one for my puppy, one for my girlfriend who has fibro, one for my husband who has to put up with my temperature swings, one for............

Love, Pooped
  16. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

my email is onthegreen@owt.com, ask and I will email you the eddress to send the self addressed stamped envelope to.

Jaci
  17. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

You gave me the wrong email addy on the thread about the cold collar for me to send you, Can you pls check it???

Jaci
  18. pearls

pearls New Member

What exactly are you talking about? Does this "thingy" instantly give you relief from sweating? From heat? If so, I want to make some, myself!

-Pearl

19. teach6

teach6 New Member

When I was at our local town festival this spring I saw some of these being sold at a booth along with other things. I only paid $6 for mine and felt it was worth it. Mine is longer than 12 inches, probably closer to 24 and is about 1- 1 1/2 inches wide, when sewn. I just put it in water and it's like magic. It turns into gel and stays damp for quite a while. You can turn it over to keep the cool side next to you. Also can get it wet again to cool it off.

Barbara
  20. 2aycocks

2aycocks New Member

Jaci that is a kewl idea. I will try it.
    You are a quilter? Great! Instead of teaching school now, I have a website for quilters! Thats my job now....at home. Check it out..... Uh, I don't know if we are supposed to post url's here, but it is www.cozykittenquilts.com
    Kay