I am afraid that I won't get my STD $$$$$...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 27, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

just because my doc signed me outta work "indefinitely." I have used STD insurance a few times before for accidents, surgery, depression, etc. which were all short-term and written down as such by my physician. This time the doc said that I was 100% disabled from any type of work indefinitely due to spianl stenosis and I am afraid that the company is seeing $$$$$ for a long time. My doctor wrote on the FMLA/STD forms that any work would exacerbate my severe pain and that I would require medications, rest, water therapy and massage for the rest of my life in order to have some degree of comfort unless there was surgical intervention. Now my Director of Nursing keeps calling me asking whether or not I'd called a neurosurgeon. My husband and I do not think that we want to consider surgery. I have too many risk factors and I just am not strong enough to recover well from surgery. To be blunt, I am scared s&(*less to have back surgery; I have chronic pain and fatigue and the buttock pain, while quite severe, is not my only area of pain. I just refuse to be forced into surgery on my spine at 47 years of age. I am fairly comfortable with my current meds/rest/therapy and knowing that I don't have to PUSH and be stressed all the time on the job helps me immensely. I am just afraid that the insurance company that I have STD/LTD is going to fight me on this. PLEASE advise me. Should I find a lawyer now? Do I HAVE to see a neurosurgeon? Can they make me have surgery or deny my claim if I refuse surgery? I have only been outta work for two weeks now and it is too soon to make such scary choices. I am just trying to get the right dosage of Oxy to get me comfortable. I have chronic angioedema and hives, hypertension, liver/renal damage, chronic pain and fatigue,anxiety and depression which is unable to be treated with antidepressants (I can't tolerate any of them), insomnia, hypothyroidism, headaches, IBS, pitting edema........I just cannot possibly continue my career, as much as I loved it. I am unable to stand, sit or walk without unrelenting pain, fatigue and swelling. Do I need to worry about this or am I just making too much out of my boss' questions about the neurosurgeon????? I can hardly bear the thought of a legal battle when I feel this badly.

Worried,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

just because my doc signed me outta work "indefinitely." I have used STD insurance a few times before for accidents, surgery, depression, etc. which were all short-term and written down as such by my physician. This time the doc said that I was 100% disabled from any type of work indefinitely due to spianl stenosis and I am afraid that the company is seeing $$$$$ for a long time. My doctor wrote on the FMLA/STD forms that any work would exacerbate my severe pain and that I would require medications, rest, water therapy and massage for the rest of my life in order to have some degree of comfort unless there was surgical intervention. Now my Director of Nursing keeps calling me asking whether or not I'd called a neurosurgeon. My husband and I do not think that we want to consider surgery. I have too many risk factors and I just am not strong enough to recover well from surgery. To be blunt, I am scared s&(*less to have back surgery; I have chronic pain and fatigue and the buttock pain, while quite severe, is not my only area of pain. I just refuse to be forced into surgery on my spine at 47 years of age. I am fairly comfortable with my current meds/rest/therapy and knowing that I don't have to PUSH and be stressed all the time on the job helps me immensely. I am just afraid that the insurance company that I have STD/LTD is going to fight me on this. PLEASE advise me. Should I find a lawyer now? Do I HAVE to see a neurosurgeon? Can they make me have surgery or deny my claim if I refuse surgery? I have only been outta work for two weeks now and it is too soon to make such scary choices. I am just trying to get the right dosage of Oxy to get me comfortable. I have chronic angioedema and hives, hypertension, liver/renal damage, chronic pain and fatigue,anxiety and depression which is unable to be treated with antidepressants (I can't tolerate any of them), insomnia, hypothyroidism, headaches, IBS, pitting edema........I just cannot possibly continue my career, as much as I loved it. I am unable to stand, sit or walk without unrelenting pain, fatigue and swelling. Do I need to worry about this or am I just making too much out of my boss' questions about the neurosurgeon????? I can hardly bear the thought of a legal battle when I feel this badly.

Worried,
    Kady
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

My experience is based on my taking myself out of work because I knew my pain and especially my fatigue was so bad I could not continue to teach in that condition. I had no clue what was wrong, just knew I couldn't go back to work.

It took me a while to get STD because I had no dx or treating doc to say how long I would be out. I finally got it for depression, even though I was not depressed and my psychiatrist wrote that on the form. He also wrote possible CFS and FM (by then I was beginning to figure out what the problem was, even though my doc was clueless).

I had no problem getting LTD, but that may have been because at the time I was trying to return to work part-time. That did not work so now I'm living off my LTD, having applied for SSDI and disability retirement.

I would say don't hire an attorney unless you start to get hassles from the disability company. If they leave you alone, you'll be OK. I do know that my company requires you to file for SSDI if you go on LTD and are not planning to return to work soon. This lowers their payments. They also required me to apply for disability retirement.

Good luck to you. Take it one day at a time, as it comes. I hope it works out OK for you. I don't blame you for not wanting the surgery. I think it's probably the smart way to go.

Barbara