I Am Afraid To Go To Doctors , and Of Medicines.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 29, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I am losing it, probably already lost it, but ever since this disease, It terrifies me to go to a Different doctor and to try new meds.

So how can I expect to improve. One doctor will send me to another and I seem to be told something different by each.

I have had such side effects from meds I am scared to try anything new.

Then when I have an appointment, I dread it, usually cancel, I hate making them.

I am going to up my dose of xanax and see if I can get this anxiety under control.

When I am in a crash my anxiety is so much worse. Honestly I seem to do better just to listen to my body and do what it tells me rather than trying a new med or doc.

Rest, Pacing, trying to avoid stress, haha, and taking my
    xanax, vitamins, fish oil, grapeseed is how I think I am going to live and forget doctors. Guess this is my way of escape.

2. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Doing it is not so easy though is it.Anxiety has become a problem for me as well in the last yr. or so.I take xanax for RLS and anxiety as needed but I'm almost paranoid about using it for fear Drs. will decide not to refill if I take to much.I have a Rhuemy and GP and I have had bad reactions to meds too.My problem is I go to the appt. and don't complain.I feel like there is nothing they can do anyway and probably don't want to hear it so I say I'm fine and go home and suffer.In a huge flare with weather season changing.Drs. appts. next mo.But unless bloodwork is off I don't expect much.I hear you though.Anxiety colors the way I reason I think do you feel that way?I hope the best for you I really do and taking each day as it comes sounds like the right answer.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I feel pretty much the same about doctors. Most know so little about nutrition and natural modes of healing and so many of the drugs out there are just scary.

Have you tried l-theanine for anxiety? It really works very well, and is an amino acid so there's no bad side effects. Elisa recently did a post about alternatives to valium etc. She asked for suggestions, and then tried l-theanine and said it worked great.

You might want to give it a try -

Take care -

4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Well I wouldn't rule out doctors completely. Not everything can be attributed to Fibro and there are things you definitely need to see a doctor for and receive ongoing treatment for, even for things like High Blood Pressure.

I think you need to find a way to get over the fear of doctors and medications, maybe a friend can help you and maybe an increase of your Xanax may help.

But we need to make sure we aren't getting something worse or another condition. We need to keep an eye on our bodies and what is going on with them.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sorry you are going through so much anxiety.

Is it the anxiety or the fact you do not like doctors keeping you from seeing one.

Even if you do not like doctors, look at it this way, it may be a necessary evil, LOL!!

I hope you get this resolved. Even if the doctor says that you should keep on doing what you are now, at least you will have the assurance that you had things checked out.

Now that would reduce anxiety.

Take care.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Do you feel like you need to see a doctor and need different meds because you're not feeling well? Do you need to see a different doctor or are you afraid your doctor will refer you to a different doctor?

Just trying to get a better understanding. I hate going to doctors period. I'm embarrassed of the mess I've become. I always want to tell them about "me..before".

I cancel appts in general. Hate them. Avoid them as much as possible. Hate running errands, hate having to be anywhere at a specific time. I've gotten so much worse in the past two years, but I guess I've kind of been that way for a while.

Maybe someone could go with you if you need to go to the Dr. I'd be right up front with the Dr. and tell them the anxiety that these visits give you. The RIGHT doctor will be sensitive to your needs and discomfort.

As mentioned above, sometimes we need to see a doctor.

I was going to start a post about what people do/say when they go to the Dr. I either say nothing much or act like my doctor is a therapist and ramble on for 15 minutes. I have to go every few months since she prescribes my meds.

Regarding rude office staff - What's with that??? I hate that! I'd right a letter, even if it's anonymous to the office manager and tell them how rude the person(s) is if anyone encounters that.

At the same time, I always compliment friendly staff, thank them and let the doctor know.

You're not alone sweetie - I think many of us feel like doctors are almost a waste of time with this DD. Because of the nature of this illness, it IS all trial and error with what works for each of us individually. Remember though, you do not have to take anything prescribed that makes you feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, there may be something that does help. Try to keep an open mind.

we're all on this bumpy road together - I don't think anything anyone posts will be something that one of more of us has not experienced. =)