I am confused about lyme

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by cnash, Aug 22, 2006.

1. cnash

cnash New Member

Ive been sick sicne 2000 and recentley been diagnosed with lyme some docs say yes deff. others say no way i am absolutely going bannanas. I just want a answer and I know its noy fybro anyone else have this problem
    Court
  2. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I'm not sure what Lyme testing you have done and what your results were so it is hard for me to comment.

According to my Lyme Doc which is famous nation wide about all the FM patients that come into his office test positive for lyme.

Most of the leading LYME docs have come to the conclusion thru accurate testing that most FM and CFS patients are just misdiagnosed lyme patients.

At least with lyme you know what to do to regain your health.

Best wishes
    J

3. cnash

cnash New Member

I have had two positive igenex done. My doc Im going to is dr.striker in San francisco in sept,ever heard of him?
    Thanks,
    Court
  4. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Dr. Stiker is one of the most respected lyme doctors in the country. You are lucky to get into his practice I wouldn't be surprised if you work with his NPRN who is great also. She use to work in my city.

Your other docs know nothing about lyme, two Igenex test that come out positive is a no brainer. Also along with your symptoms it is by all means a lyme diagnosis.

You are in good hands. Your other doctors will never try to get to the bottom of what is causing you to be ill.

The problem is that we have to work in a medical world where most dr.s are clueless about lyme due to the AMA.

J

J
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

You have found a great doctor in Dr. Striker to help you treat your lyme disease. Most doctors are just not that knowledgeable, and many are ill-informed.

Lyme disease is often misdiagnosed as CFIDS or FM, and many other things, like MS, ALS, or dementia. I'll post you an article below.

Have you visited lymenet dot org? There's lots of good info there on lyme disease.

Good luck,
    Hopeful4
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Lyme Disease Link to FM and CFIDS

This is from the Immune Support Library:
    ImmuneSupport.com Treatment & Research Information
    You can reprint it from there.

Lyme Disease and Its Link to Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome and Unrelenting Fatigue
    ImmuneSupport.com

10-03-2005 By Kent Holtorf, MD

(Reprinted with author's permission)

Lyme disease is caused by a spiral shaped bacteria (spirochete) called Borrelia burgdorferi. These bacteria are most often transmitted by tics and mosquitoes. The spirochetes have been called "the great imitators" because they can mimic virtually any disease, which often leads to misdiagnosis. Patients suffering with a chronic illness and especially those with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome and Unrelenting Fatigue should consider Lyme disease as a contributor.

Patients with chronic Lyme disease most commonly have fatigue, joint and muscle pain, sleep disorders and cognitive problems, also known as 'brain fog'. In addition, infection with Borrelia often results in a low grade encephalopathy (infection of the brain) that can cause depression, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, numbness, tingling, burning, weakness, or twitching. It can also be associated with neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, dementia, such as Alzheimer's disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease). The infection often results in hormonal deficiencies, abnormal activation of coagulation and immune dysfunction, which can contribute to the cause of the symptoms.

Patients with chronic Lyme disease often complain of 'strange' or 'weird' symptoms that cannot be explained even after going to numerous doctors and often results in the patient being told that it is psychological. Patients are often told that they are hypochondriacs and are referred to psychiatrists and counselors for treatment.

Because the symptoms are so variable, most patients are usually not considered for testing or treatment. If testing is done, however, standard tests will miss over 90% of cases of chronic Lyme disease.

The standard tests include an immunoassay test of IgG and IgM antibodies and a Western blot for confirmation. The problem with these tests is that they are designed to detect acute Lyme disease and are very poor at detecting chronic Lyme disease. In addition, doctors (infectious disease, internists, family practice, etc.) most often use the Center for Disease Control (CDC) criteria to define a positive test. This criterion was never meant to be used for diagnosis, but rather for epidemiological surveillance (tracking data).

If one uses an expanded Western blot with revised requirement criteria for diagnosis, studies have demonstrated an improved sensitivity of detection of over 90% while having a low false-positive rate of less than 3%.

There are also a number of co-infections that are commonly transmitted along with the Lyme bacterium, which include Bartonella, Babesia, Ehrlichia and others. There are different species in different parts of the country that can make testing difficult and insensitive. As with Borrelia, there is a very high percentage of false-negative results (test negative despite infection being present).

Treatment of chronic Lyme disease can be very problematic as the Borrelia bacteria can transform from the standard cell wall form to a non-cell wall form (l-form) and also into a treatment resistant cyst.

Standard antibiotic treatments are only effective against the cell wall form and are ineffective against the L-forms and cystic forms that are usually present in chronic Lyme disease.

Consequently, the usual 2-4 weeks of intravenous or oral antibiotics are rarely of any benefit. The use of longer courses of oral or intravenous antibiotics for months or even years is often ineffective as well if used as the sole major therapy.

A multi-system integrative approach can, however, dramatically increase the likelihood of successful treatment. This includes using a combination of synergistic antibiotics that are effective against the l-forms and cystic forms, immune modulators, directed anti-Lyme nutraceuticals, anticoagulants, hormonal therapies and prescription lysosomotropics (medications that increase the effectiveness and penetration of antibiotics into the various forms of the Borrelia spirochete).

To adequately detect and treat chronic Lyme disease, Physicians must understand that standard tests will miss the majority of these cases and standard treatment will fail the majority of the time. One must undergo more specialized testing and a multi-system integrative treatment approach to achieve success in the majority of patients.

More information about Dr. Kent Holtorf: www.fibroandfatigue.com

©2006 Pro Health, Inc. Copyright Policy
    By: http://www.ImmuneSupport.com