I am cured!!!! I am stunned!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skinnymini, Nov 7, 2005.

1. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

I am cured of what my rheumatologist said was fibromyalgia!!!!!! I took one dose of an antidepressant called Lexapro, an SSRI, and my muscle pain has absolutely GONE!!!!! That was more than three weeks ago and I have not had any pain since. My family doctor says it must have been muscle pain associated with low seratonin and norepinephrine levels. I had suffered with muscle pain for the last 15 months (!!!!!) and have been to several doctors, a naturopath and a chiropractor and none of them could help me with the pain. I have been taking handfuls of supplements three times a day to help build my immune system, G I tract and other body functions. Finally, I gave up and accepted my family doctor's advice and took the antidepressant because I was not sleeping at all and my health was clearly going downhill. I am still stunned that this was the problem all along. I would strongly recommend others try it if they suspect they might even be a bit low in these two neurotransmitters.....It really worked for me!!!! I hope this gives others hope.

EDIT: I AM NOT CURED!!! But things are getting better and I am managing the pain more now that I am taking mega doses of omega 3 and fish oils and am totally off all pharmaceutical medications. I am also taking vit C and E and magnesium and calcium and malic acid. I also completed a colon cleanse to detox my body. (Jan. 25, 2006)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2006]
  2. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I am so happy you are feeling so much better. I hope you continue to feel good and improve! Joy
  3. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

skinnymini,

I hope I get cured soon. I've been taking Lexapro for 2 years now.

Glad it worked for you!!!!

Dee
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

GREAT NEWS....and SO pleased that you are feeling like your former self! It is always so good to hear that someone is better.

God Bless you

Mari
  5. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

Im so happy for you. That is good news. I dont know if you were told but depression also has muscle pain that goes with it. Chances are you had depression due to a chemical imbalance that the medicine fixed. Fibro is far more complicated than just muscle pain and I have never heard of it being fixed from one medication. It might be so in your case but I tend to lean toward depression. Any how main thing is your ok.
    hugs poodlemum
  6. Musica

Musica New Member

Skinnymini, I'm so glad there was an easy (although long in coming) answer for you. Wow! It is so hard to know what will actually work; isn't it scary to know what things are being missed that might give others relief? At any rate, that is fantastic news! I hope you continue to find relief. It is encouraging to hear the successes!
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I myself have tried anti-depressants a few times over the years since becoming ill but they dont work for me.

What a relief it must be for you.

love
    Rosie
  8. tcluna

tcluna New Member

keep in mind that SSRI antidepressants have been proven to work against bacteria, such as chylamida pnemonia, common in CFS and FM
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

tcluna,

I've never heard that SSRI's can combat bacteria? Do you have any information on this you can post?

Skinnymini seems to be on an SNRI, I'm not sure if that's quite the same seeing as how it works on norepinephrine and not just serotonin.

Jeanne
  10. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

You mentioned SSRIs can ward off bacteria, please post again
    regarding more info. I find this very interesting as others
    do as well.

Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2005]
  11. Bambi

Bambi New Member

bacteria either. Where did you hear that? Glad it helped someone though!
  12. sami

sami New Member

glad you were helped with 1 pill....but that sure is not the average fibro patient...i have been living with this dd for over 15 years and am sure i will have it when i die...my symptoms wax and wane and so do i,...but a cure??????i think it raises a little false hope for the majority.....
  13. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

How many years with FM, level of pain etc? Had you tried other Antidepressants?
  14. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

So,very happy for you, this is great news.
    Becca
  15. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Obviously, you didn't have Fibro. I guess this time we should be happy that the doctors were wrong.

16. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I'm glad the Lexapro is making you feel better.

For everyone else, did you know that they can actually do a blood test to see if your seratonin is low and supplement your seratonin, if necessary, with seratonin instead of SSRI's/SNRI's or anything else that might be more harmful or have side effects?

I just learned this yesterday for the first time at my appointment with Dr. Holtorf (FFC LA) They only do this, though, if you actually test low for seratonin in the first place.

Hope you continue to feel terrific, skinnymini!
  17. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I know people who have taken and SSRI and it helped with pain, depression, but they didn't have fibro. Just wonderingif the pain was due to depression. Sure hope it lasts !!!
  18. Brinley

Brinley New Member

Hi everyone, my name is Phyl. i use to be on the board, but, I seem to drift away. I want everyone to know about a new pill. I am from Ky and the University of Ky has been studying a new pill, that I am using for neuropathy for my feet. Then I fod out it is also good for fibro. They still are studying the pill, but, they found in some of their study's about the fibro, so now I am so happy to be trying it. At least someone is trying something. On their site Lyrica.com they say the patients they studied used 450 mgs. Please run, don't walk to your dr. I am anxious to hear what others are saying about it. Please try it. we've tried everything else. let me know what happens all. Thanks Phyl
  19. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Boy, are you lucky! You'd better buy a lottery ticket.
  20. sami

sami New Member

how was your visit with ffc???
    did you think they were topnotch???
    which center did you go to?
    thx