I am exhausted from dreaming, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Mar 10, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

This is the third consecutive night I have had dream after dream and I think tossed and turned. I dream crazy dreams like: my teeth are falling out, I am ALWAYS in some conflict with people like arguing with my mom on the phone (don't do that in real life), I screwed something up like shredding a $5.00 receipt I should have kept with awful consequences, waiting on an important phone call...there are more, but I won't bore you further----and all of these happened LAST NIGHT with the exception of the teeth falling out.

I think I sleep soundly, not sure. I sure am exhausted when I go to sleep. I don't take anything for sleep except I take a 25 mg Topamax and if I skip that I don't seem to sleep as well. My husband suggested Tylenol PM, but not sure about the hangover feeling when I wake up and I don't feel comfortable asking my doctor for anything for sleep. I am new to him and frankly he doesn't know I have fibro., at least yet. He is running a basic metabolic profile for fatigue and thyroid profile too. My old dr. understood but he is an hour away, and I don't have a way to get there anymore, so I had to change drs.

The only different thing I am doing, which I just thought of, is I have only went to the gym once all week, and then didn't work out for very long at all. Normally I work out 5 days a week for an hour. However, next week my husband and I will start back, but work out M, W, and Fri. Maybe the not working out could be making a difference in my sleep pattern? Hmm, I probably answered my own question :) Does anyone else take Tylenol PM?

Hugs,

Deena
  2. fredrick3

fredrick3 New Member

Hi Deena

According to my doctor dream sleep (REM sleep) is not deep sleep which we all need to feel refreshed. Stage 4 sleep which is the deepest sleep has not been known to me for years now and is one reason I feel like I've been in a fight for my life all night instead of sleeping. I'm always dreaming about something shortly before becoming fully awake and if it's been a torturous dream I can wake with a splitting headache that lasts a few hours after rising.

I'm being more careful not to forget my neurontin before bedtime since it's pretty good for headache or should I say prevention of headache.

I was offered ambien on a long term basis for sleep at the beginning of my last doctors appointment and forgot about it by the end and it skipped my doc's mind also.

I'd definitely discuss sleep with the doc. It's one of the major curses of Fibro.

Gary

good luck

3. jane32

jane32 New Member

only in the early morning hrs. That is when I get the least amount of sleep.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have always dreamed a lot, and it seems like I am constantly dreaming now. My dreams are so tiring and so weird....weird, weird, weird! I am always tired in the morning, and as I don't want to build a tolerance to one form of sleeping medication, I vary it from night to night.

Never sleep through the night, always dream. I can really relate to your post. It doesn't seem to matter what the activity level; I just don't sleep well and when asleep, I'm dreaming.

Let me know what you discover.

Sue
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Fivesue's post could have been written by me!

Seem to have less awful dreams and "half-sleep" when health is in a better spell.

Gentle hugs,

Bunchy x
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

I dream every night. I actually like to dream. Last night (just for a smile) I dreamt I went to the Mall of America!

I've never been there. I dreamt I was there with a friend and she bought four pizzas of different flavors from this specialty pizza shop.

What a hoot. Anyway, Sometimes if I have a really busy night of dreaming, I'm more exhausted when I try to wake up.

Kendra
  7. Becci

Becci New Member

Is anyone on an anti-depressant who is having these fantastic dreams? While I was on Effexor, my dreams could have out rivaled any Speilberg movie ever made! I wish I could have somehow taped them and sold them, I'd have as much money as Bill Gates! I could hear, see, taste and smell everything that was in them, and even later in the day, I could almost drift back into them at my desk and continue them. My dreams like that stopped when I went off the Effexor, but I am now on Welbutrin, and the dreams have come back, just not as vivid as before. The fine print on the paperwork of both of these drugs warns about having dreams, I can't remember (isn't that strange! LOL) how they put it - disturbing dreams or something like that. Anyway, that is my experience with this, and quite frankly, some of those dreams would be a great improvement to real life. Good luck to all of you with this problem.
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

Becci, I'm not on any meds, but when my husband was on Paxil, he had a terrible time with dreams. He even started talking to me and I thought he was awake, but he was having nightmares.

It was bad. He weaned off of the Paxil and he doesn't have them like that anymore.

kendra
  9. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have dreamed excessively all of my life and have the teeth falling out one from time to time. Since developing CFS, the dreams have become much more unpleasant, similar to what you describe (I was not on any meds).

I find that Xanax reduces the unpleasantness of the dreams. I have read the Xanax interfers with stage 4 sleep, so this may not be a good solution. It seem to get me back to my 'normally bad' sleep, which I suspect does not include much stage 4 sleep anyway.
  10. Rainshadow

Rainshadow New Member

I used to have bizarre dreams of epic proportions and would wake up exhausted. Just recently did a sleep study and found out that I wake up 32 times an hour due to sleep apnea!! Since I started using the CPAP machine I am sleeping so much better and the dreams have calmed down. Most importantly I am not waking up immediately upon dreaming or even in the middle of one. And the ones I have are pleasant not horrific like they had been. And I'm not so tired anymore. I'm hoping that once I overcome my sleep deficit I will feel much better.
  11. jennyjams

jennyjams New Member

I completely relate to the weird dreams - I have them all the time. A doctor once told me that part of the problem with FMS keeping you in dream sleep rather than deep sleep is that most people's bodies work to prevent them from physically acting out their dreams which means lots of muscular tension while asleep. This doc said that it works to increase pain overnight so more dreams can equal more pain. I certainly know this is true for me. I tend to wake up throughout the night out of dreams with back pain so bad I can't breathe, can't lie down and certainly can't try to go back to sleep. My GP tried me on a few anti-depressants to regulate my sleep, but they made the dreams go from weird to scary (at one point or another, all of my family members met untimely ends in my dreams!). I'm trying out a valarian root mix tablet to see if it helps, and my next stop is L-tryctophan (sp?). The sleep issues are definitely one of the horridly difficult pieces of all this.

Wishing everyone restful sleeps,
    Jenny
  12. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Just kidding.LOL!

I have awful dreams too.I have heard that dreaming that your teeth are falling out means you aren't able to speak your mind.So the teeth fall out in your dreams.Now that makes since to me.When I do dream that my teeth are falling out I am going through a difficult time getting my feelings out and telling people how I really feel.

Maybe you need to get rehuemy. to give you something to help you sleep more soundly.

As far as the gym thing, I know what you mean.I sleep better when I keep it up in the gym.Hard to do sometime when you feel so tired and hurt.

I hope that you get some better restful sleep.And if your teeth keep falling out then you need to chew somebody out soon.Get it "chew somebody out".I didn't even mean to be funny.LOL! Was that funny?LOL!

HUGS,
    Sheila
  13. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Does anyone else wake up from crying in a dream and actually be crying when you wake from the dream?

LOL.....I think I got that right :eek:)

Lindy
  14. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

You made me laugh :) Thanks The teeth falling out thing would actually apply to me. I keep a lot of things in.

Last night I dreamt my husband was my cousin, we spent Christmas with my mom's family which I don't like, a dream about a boss I hated that I had to call for a reference, and my husband and I waking down a sidewalk and he kept getting knocked down (and he is a big guy too) and I couldn't do anything about it. I never can fight, yell, or do anything confrontational in my dreams. Anyway, I feel more rested, but frazzled. I also have been waking up having night sweats as well the last few nights.

Last night I woke up to go to the bathroom and couldn't move my arms much. They felt heavy. They weren't asleep or anything I just couldn't move them very well. It was weird. They actually still feel a little heavy today but not like last night.

Hope you all slept well.

Love and hugs,

Deena

15. Chermione

Chermione New Member

Oh yes, I can get to the point of being tired from dreaming. I dream every night, all night. I usually like my dreams b/c they help me sort out my waking life. But some nights I just can't figure out what it all meant and am just exhausted from it! I had one of those last night actually, all night long I dreamt and tossed and turned.
  16. Vitter

Vitter New Member

I have had nightmares all my life. As a child I would run around the house screaming and crying. I even remember my mom trying to calm me down. I still have nightmares. My husband says I cry out from dreaming. I have crazy dreams. The teeth falling out, being able to fly, trying to find a clean bathroom in public is the worst one. I have this dream all the time. I think when I have to get up at night to go to the bathroom is when I have this dream. When I read on this message board about the excessive dreaming I was shocked that this is something we have in common. It's a mystery to me.

I started taking prozac about a month ago. It seems the dreaming has calmed down.

[This Message was Edited on 03/12/2006]
  17. oholland

oholland New Member

It's got so bad that now I'm talking in my sleep and arguing with the people in my dreams. I even often wake up my husband with my shouting or crying.

If I take my trazadome I don't do this and have a pretty good nights sleep. It's just that I've been trying to cut down on the drugs. However, I guess I need the sleep more than I need to cut out drugs!

Tylenol PM always left me hung over so it was not an option for me. I just wanted to keep on sleeping the rest of the day!

What a weird DD we have!

Olivia
  18. MoosesMom

MoosesMom New Member

O God Yes. My dreams can just wear a gal out!! I even went ApeStinky on my husband one night. In my dream some chick showed up at the door with a baby and wanted to introduce my husband to his son. I went a bit Apey on her in my dream, but I physically started kicking at my husband and finally put my feet upagainst his butt and shoved him completely out of bed. I was apparently screaming blue murder about him and his skank Ho and his illegitimate baby that wasn't even cute!! He was so astounded by the rapid fire vulgarity coming out of my mouth while I was sound asleep that he started laughing his head off. Once he woke me up he had the brass ones to ask me if his "honey" was good looking. Nut! Luckily for me he is amused and understanding.

He talks in his sleep and has frequently awakened me with his ramblings. He once actually shook me awake, screeching in my face to tell me in all seriousness that the Penguin was blue!! Then he collapsed on his pillow and snored away. I was then wide awake in the early stages of what felt like heart failure and wondering what in the crap a blue penguin had to do with anything and "sleeping beauty" was passed clean out!!
  19. auntcon

auntcon New Member

I HATE to fall asleep because of the dreams...
    sometimes are scary always are exsausting. sp?fogged out

My dr said that was one of the symptoms of fibro and cfs

I had a sleep study done. There's a lot of things you can do to help your sleep hygene but I'm just not up to it yet,.

no reading in bed. no tv in the bedroom... no kids or dog in the bed

like that's gonna happen,.

connie
  20. juliejo

juliejo New Member

I just had to respond to this one as i have the most weird and scary dream's too.
    They come just before i get up and leave me so exhausted some day's and give me a bad head which i have today.
    Saturday night my hubby said i was shouting out at 3 in the morning for a taxi (CAB) to please take me away and he told me he has never heard me snore like it in my life. ( BEEN MARRIED 35 YEAR'S THIS JUNE).

The teeth falling out made me laugh too as i have had that one many time's.

I have been told to by my Rheumy that instead of stage 4 sleep all of us can have such vivid dream's instead that leave us waking up as if we have run a marathon.

Anyone got any other expanation for these weird dream's?

At least i am not alone with these.

Julie jo.