I am extremely worried that I may have CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by danielwadia, Jul 24, 2003.

1. danielwadia

danielwadia New Member

Hello,

I am not sure if I have CFS, but cerrtainly seem to be feeling many of the symptoms associated with the illness. It is quite worrying to be honnest.

I have set up an appointment with Dr Enlander in New York. Do any of you know him, and have an opinion to share with me?

Since I was very young, I have been prone to viral infections, constantly having tonsilitis (I finally had my tonsils removed 4 years ago, when I was 21 years old) and numerous colds&flus. My stamina has usually been pretty poor, but having said that, I have been very athletic, healthy and I do not feel fatigue to the point where I cannot move around freely, run to catch a bus if need be, or go out and party (i know i shouldn't , but alcohol actually gives me energy when i go out). Does all this make sense? What I experience is a feeling of being very run down and fatighed. I have no trouble sleeping whatsoever (i do tend to wake up at least once a night to use the bathroom and drink some water), but even after 9 hours sleep, I wake up feeling lethargic and totally unrefreshed (this lasts all day). Does this sound like CFS, or could it be something else, like Sinusitis ( I always have mucus/flegm in one nostril or the other), Candida, or glandular fever?

Any tips on questions to ask the doctor, or treatments you have tried that I could mention to him?

I apologize for all the questions, but I am concerned since I am not sure what is going on with my body. I'm worried I'm going to feel like this forever.

Thanks for any thoughts/guidance you can offer.

Best wishes,
    daniel

2. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

3. pearls

pearls New Member

If you are seeing Dr. Derek Enlander, originally from Belfast, Ireland, you are seeing someone who is an expert in the fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome field. You will be in good hands. I would not suggest any treatments to a doctor you are seeing the first time, especially Dr. Enlander. Here's what you need to bring:

1) a list of every medication you are now taking, the dosage and how often you take it. Also, list what you are taking it for. You may also want to simply bring each medication with you.

2) List your symptoms. You do not say how soon you are seeing the doctor, but you might keep a diary of your observations and when you make them. Make it legible. Be sure to write down anything you think might have something to do with your problems.

3) Bring a notebook and a pen (some doctors suggest a tape recorder, though I haven't done that personally). Write down instructions and things you want to remember while you are having your visit. (Be sure to ask the doctor to repeat, slow down, or explain where necessary.)

4) Be prepared. Bring a list of three or four items that concern you most so you'll be sure to cover those things. Do not waste time, and you'll get the most out of the visit.

5) Some books and articles suggest taking along an advocate, another person who can vouch for you, help you remember things the doctor said, etc. While I have been the only person to come to most of my own doctor visits, my husband happened to be with me the first time I ever saw the doctor who oversees my fibromyalgia. My husband brought up several points I hadn't thought to bring up, and I think he was helpful to my doctor, who gave me a diagnosis on my third visit.

By the way, to the above, you may be inclined to say, "Third visit?! What's this?" Well, a diagnosis for either chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia involves seeing certain symptoms over a period of time. It also involves tests to make sure your symptoms are not caused by something else. In my case, the above doctor diagnosed me on my third visit, but my internist had a hunch it was fibromyalgia several months before I was able to see the one who finally made the diagnosis. My internist had put me through all sorts of tests over a period of months.

Good luck to you. If it turns out to be chronic fatigue syndrome, stay with us. You'll learn a lot here. Also, read, read, read. There is material out there that can be of enormous assistance to you. Also, in case you have CFS, you'll need to organize your medical team. YOU will be the boss of the team, though you'll have to rely on the best help you can find to help you. It looks to me like you've made a good start, if this is THE Doctor Enlander.

P.S. - You may want to do a search of the archives of this website. You may find some articles on this subject there.

-Pearl
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Your symptoms sound like mine when I had a minor bout and recovered.

But to keep well, I had to stick to a special diet and i needed at least 6 hours sleep, preferably 8 or 9 and even at my healthiest i almost always found it hard to get up in the morning.

You also could have Candida. There are questionnaires you can take to assess your likely Candida levels.

You might want to start an Anti-Candida diet and just see how that helps you.

Also, get checked for food allergies and/or try an elimination diet. You just might find you have more energy.

I have noticed that often when fasting I have more energy. but not always, cause my blood sugar is screwy these days. But, if you find you have more energy when you go without eating for longer time than usual than I take that to mean that you have a problem digesting food, either due to allergies, or [and] due to improper absorption by the bowel.

Some docs think the bowel is the root of these illnesses and that if we absorbed our foods properly, we would have more energy and less dis-ease.

It is true that since you have caught things early you have a good chance for recovery.

Check out the herbs and recommended supplements for CFS and for Candida.

Keep us posted!

jen F