I am having a CFS attack HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Reidsbeads, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

All I want to do is sleep. I wake up with a spurt of energy and then down I go just as fast. I just get so tired I cant stay awake. While I have been diagnosed with FMS I do know that that is CFS but I dont know what if anything I can do about it. Juice? Sugar? I do coffee in the AM but as soon as the pot is gone down I go! I cant sleep in the AM. I am up at 4:00 - 6:00am and cant go back to sleep. Then I am just wiped out the rest of the day! My corpal tunnel has been just painful and my body following suit. I know its because I am not getting the right sleep and enough sleep at the same time but what do I do about it! Well that was all I could muster up tonight see ya in the wee hours of the am.
    Tam
  2. blkkat

blkkat New Member

tam are you seeing a DR? are you on any meds. GOD BLESS--BLKKAT PS are you on line now? im in wash.state time zone
    i also am up till3-4 am[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]
  3. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

For most of us, I believe sleep irregularities are very much a part of both CFS and Fibromyalgia. What I've found that has really, really helped me has been taking "Lyrica" for the pervasive pain of FM. Not only has it reduced the muscle pain about 80%, but it has also helped me sleep more deeply. I've learned that being with people is very draining for me, even when they are congenial people. (The company of persons who are not congenial truly drains me!)

Anyway, you might find some assistance with this very important symptom from consulting a pain management doc. I'd seen an internist, two rheumatologists before I finally got help for my sporadic sleep pattern by getting a prescription for Lyrica for the muscle pain. Turns out it is also a anxiolytic medication (that is, an anti-anxiety medication. Not an antidepressant--an anti-anxiety, and tension reduction medication.)

Anyway, dear friend..I hope you find help soon to help you get more restful sleep and be able to regulate your patterns more easily.

Good luck!

With love, Dorothy

4. findmind

findmind New Member

I just read your bio; what a terrible story. I'm so sorry you have to deal with both FM and CFS, many of us do.

I'd like to ask if you have to keep a certain schedule, or can it be flexible?
    If it can, maybe you should try to find the sleep schedule that suits your body and symptoms. Like, I sleep 3 am to 11 or even 12. I take Halcion and Xanax, have for about 7 years, and do very very well with it. I also have FM, but it seem to stop the pain so I can sleep.

Then I "nap" with one Xanax to "turn off my head wanderings" at 9:30 and sleep well until 11 or 11:15. I feel rested enuf then to do planning for the next day's dinner and maybe a load of wash while I just sit and read or watch a taped show.

My circadian rythms are upside down and I can't change them, so I just do what makes my body feel best.

I hope you can find a way to rest when you have to, not when it's the "proper" way according to others.

It changes your life, sure; but when you have to, you can be a little more flexible and rest after you have activities you want/need to do.

Best to you,
    findmind
  5. clerty

clerty New Member

yep I sure know that feeling having CFS and Fibro !!!
    I would not toch coffee to be honest i think it can make your heart race well for me anyway My sleep is bad also I just sleep when I can dont fight it !!!
    I am not on any meds as they all make me ill and I cant function on them perhaps you need to take a look at your meds is there something you caould add to it that would help alos what about valerian or Melitonan tablets.

Clairex

6. boho

boho New Member

Hi reidsbeads,having same problem right now,cant stay awake,i too wake up thinking oh this is going to be a good day them boom,it hits and i am knocked down.good luck hun
  7. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

I appreciate all the advice and comradary here, its so nice to finally have people to understand me. I slept all day almost yesterday and made myself stay in bed and slept til 9:30am this morning so i feel a bit better today but i am concerned cause it is almost 2:00 am here and im not really tired yet, hopefully the xanax will kick in soon. Love to you all, you make me feel special and good again!!Thank you, Tam
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm so sorry for all of your health stuff coming together like it has......but you are right- sleep is important. I read your bio, and I noticed you included an email address. Better take it out, as it is against the rules.
    Take care!
    Terri
  9. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

on my earlier response to you was not intended to be the 'red-faced' one, as it denotes anger--at least, to me, that's what it represents to me. And my feeling towards your desire to sleep is compassion--not anger.

I agree with the person who responded that she "goes with her need to sleep". I have found in my 25 years of experience with severe chronic fatigue, that going with my need for sleep is the wisest course for me to follow.

I not only have the symptoms of constant fatigue--I have the continual pain of fibromyalgia. Obviously, being in constant pain is extremely tiring. And because most of us attempt to keep going, we tend to ignore the pain until we can't ignore it any longer and then the pain breaks through our denial. Sometimes I find myself wondering why I am so sleepy and then become more fully aware I'm hurting.

So, I've become more thoroughly trusting of my body's messages and take the rest and sleep I need. Sometimes just a short nap will do the trick. I keep little kitchen timers next to my recliner chair, next to my bed and in my car--when I am on a rather long trip, I pull over and recline my seat and set the timer for 10 to 15 minutes. Setting the timer allows me to more fully relax since then I won't be concerned about over-sleeping, and I can let go of that worry.

Speaking of worry, ketting go of anxieties about people, places and things that are not our legitimate responsibility--I've found to be essential.

Take good, good care of yourself. I believe that's the most important 'lesson' we all have to learn from this dd!

With love, Dorothy

[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2007]
  10. hi tam,
    i have cfs and fibromyalgia,and i just want to say to you.dont try to fight those chronic fatigue attacks,you know,where we just fall asleep suddenly.

ive had the above illnesses for many years now.and my cfs sleepy boughts, arent so severe now.but they do just suddenly crop up now and again.and its those sudden attacks that still make me angry,because we have no control over them do we.its not like pacing ourselves will help the cfs,like it does the fibro.

over the years ive come to just sort of go with the flow.and im grateful that the sleep attacks dont come when im at my part time job.

none the less,the attacks do make me feel angry,in that i have no control over them.so id like to just say to you.dont fight the boughts of sudden sleep,just try not to get upset and let your body sleep.

ive come to the conclusion that theres nothing i can do about this part of my illness,and eventually,when my body has had enough sleep,it will no doubt let me know about it.

its strange though,isnt it.my body, just lately, wakes me up after only 3 hours sleep at night.i cant get back off to sleep and im taking amitripyline.

then another time i can sleep 6 hours.

maybe these sudden bouts of sleepiness that we are currently going through,is our body trying to claim back some quality rest that we think we dont need (but obviously our body is saying.. yes i do need it)

its obvious to me after all these years,that this sudden sleepyness isnt getting better,its just going into a sort of remission for a few months,then rearing its ugly head again.ive come to except that it wont fully go away,but i still hate it.

im not going to fight it,ill just sleep.

kind regards

fran