I am having surgery next Monday...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lanie, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I have Fibromyalgia. What can I expect upon waking up from surgery? It is major abdominal surgery. Can you all that have had surgery tell me how you reacted with your Fibromyalgia?
    Thanks so much,
    Lanie
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Hi Lanie. I had a hysterectomy in November. I was told that 2 weeks before surgery I had to stop taking all supplements. That meant no Magnesium for me. My surgery was about 2 1/2 hours. I don't remember waking up in Recovery, but do recall being moved from the "gurney" into my bed. I remember having horrible pain in my left hip (that is my "weak" spot). Even the morphine couldn't help it. As soon as I got home, I started taking Magnesium again - it took about 2 weeks for the pain to lessen. Other than that, I had no adverse reactions to the surgery or anesthesia. I was out of work for 7 weeks and was very, very tired. Just make sure you don't push yourself and do too much. Be easy with yourself and let other people do things for you. I hope everything goes well for you! Good luck!

Annette2
  3. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

Rest. Rest. Rest. Rest. And when you think that you have rested to much Rest some more. I had surgery to have my gall bladder removed. I had it done laproscopic which wasnt as bad. The first thing you want when you wake up is something to drink. I told my husband that he better be standing there waiting with sprite in hand when I woke up, and he was. The next thing you feel is almost like you are bloated and I mean really bloated but you can't fart for lack of a better word lol sorry folks I am country as they come and aint shamed of it lol. Then the next things you want to do is ask for some pain meds, you got the IV might as well use it. Sometimes they try to send you home they tried to send me home but I didn't feel secure in going home just yet so I told them to find me a room because I was not going home! So I finally got to a room and the nurses where great, she checked on me all night long and made sure my pain was never an issue. The next day I was confident enough to go own home and by this time was ready to be in a more comforting environment. Since the cuts I had were on my stomach as well I didnt sleep in the bed because I had staples and it felt like when I laid down they were pulling so I slept in my recliner. Have someone there who can help you get to the bathroom if you need it and make sure for at least 3 days you do nothing but rest! Have someone make your meals if you can and just lay back watch TV read or what ever. Take your meds just like they say and make sure if your in pain dont lay there hurting take the medicine that is what its there for. Sometimes you think that your feeling better and try to do things and you pay for it later. I thought I could drive the next day to go to the pharmacy, lol yeah right got half way there and had to turn around. I hope that all goes well and try not to stress to much before hand. You will be in my prayers and I hope that you have a speedy recovery!! Hope I made some kinda sense in this cause I have major Fog today

hugs,
    Jeanna
  4. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Thank you both for your replies.

I have decided to do a gastric bypass surgery, it will be open. I just cannot deal with all the weight I have put on since all this came up. Plus, I am hypothyroid and have insulin resistance. I just can't get the weight off on my own.

I cannot drink anything till the day after surgery do to the type of surgery it is. I am a nervous wreck and now to top it off I caught this nasty out both ways bug!

Thank you for your well wishes,
    Lanie
  5. kimmer

kimmer New Member

Hello..
    I have been considering having it done myself. My insurance pays very well for it. 2 of my close friends, have had it done in the past year. They both did great and look fantastic!!! Best of luck to you! Kim
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Good luck to you with this. Just allow P-L-E-N-T-Y of recovery time! That is the one piece of advice I can give you. I only had laparoscopic surgery, but even with that I needed about 3 times longer to recover-----I had no major flare, though, & did recover fine, just took longer. And DO use pain meds after surgery (I typically don't for day-to-day FM pain management) because they may keep you from going into a flare.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have not had abdominal surgery since having my CFS/FMS become full-blown illnesses, but I did have major surgery on my arm. I suffered no more than any other surgery and recovered just fine although it took a year and lots of physical therapy.

Good luck to you and I keep you in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  8. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I am very nervous about the surgery. I have been researching it for a year, but all the research in the world can't really let you know what your in for until you actually do it.

I will definitely keep you posted. If my info can help anyone, then I would be very happy.

Best wishes,
    Lanie
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had two laproscopes done with removel/cutting/stitching/burning done inside. And I had an open appendectomy,about a 4-5 inch scar.All while having FM. You got very good thoughts so far from others....REST ALOT! I don't believe any of those surgerys put me in a flare~I was just sorer than normal.(way!)mainly the incision,and stomach muscles.So I was sore from the surgery.(to be expected) For me I needed longer to recover.Cause I was told after my appendix was taken out,that once home i'd need help with the kids for a few days(I stayed in the hospital 5 days).Well I needed more like a good week, a little more~
    Just go slow and rest all you can the first week.Get yourself some movies,magazines and just plan on being a big chill head!! Hope everything goes well!! it sounds exciting to me!! lol
    you'll do fine!
    ((hugs))
    Tracey
  10. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Well, there is going to be a bit of a problem with the resting part of avoiding a flare.
    We are supposed to be up and walking within a few hours of surgery and then walking at least 1 mile a day starting the day after surgery. They want us out of bed from 8am to 8pm. Harsh huh?

You can see my worry I am sure. I can deal with all this, but to have a FM flare on top of major open surgery would just push me over the edge.

I don't have CFS, so I am safe there. I have had 2 c-sections and one was with anesthesia and was fine.

I do have esophigitis, which I believe is in my records. I will ask about the Citrucel. I asked about any preop prep and they said they had none which shocked me. Just nothing to eat or drink after midnite. I will be taking it easy with what I put in my body anyway just to make my life easier after the fact. As far as water, we will only be able to drink 30 cc's of water every hour starting the day after surgery. My stomach is going to be the size of a thumb so I won't be able to drink to much.

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes,
    Lanie
  11. angelheart

angelheart New Member

someone who had the same surgery. Actually my best friend. She doesn't have FM, but has done fanatatic. She had it done in November 2001 and has lost 125 pounds. The key thing I think with this surgery is a positive attitude. I was afraid her personality was going to change and I would lose my friend, but she is the same and even more positive. Does the doctor doing the procedure know you have FM? Just curious. Please keep us posted on how this goes for you. I will be praying all goes well.

Blessings,

Angelheat
  12. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

Hi had surgery for thyriod cancer. First few days the pain in my neck and throat were unbearable. I was on a morphine pump. Then is settled down and I felt good after the hospital because of all the rest and pain meds.
    f0r a week I felt good then I crashed. Fatigue became the biggest issue. Just sleep as much as you can and it will get you up and around quicker.
    good luck , you'll be fine
    love poodlemu
  13. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I will be sure to update everyone when I get back.

Poodlemom, I hope the surgery was successful and your health has improved.

I appreciate all the advice and support you have given me.
    Best wishes,
    Lanie
  14. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I am doing very well as far as surgery is concerned. I am down 50lbs since March 24th and over 40".

I am still having a hard time getting my protein in. It is difficult to eat so much meat, especially since some things don't go down right like pork and anything on the drier side. My doctor only likes you to do shakes when you are in the beginning stages, then he wants you to stop shakes and get your protein thru food items. I broke my carb addiction in the 1st 2 weeks of the liquid diet with no cravings now whatsoever! I was so pleased about that. I was always a huge fruit and veggie eater before my accident and I have now reverted back to that.

My only other issue is that I forget to take my vitamins which is so vitally important. Damn fog!

I am emailing you now if you have any specific questions.
    Take care Jody.
    Lanie