I am home and have power and pictures of my missing roof

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

The above link is to a few pictures of my house, I have a youtube video to load of me in the house when the storm ripped my beautiful red roof off.

Thank you all so much with all your replies, it made me cry. Yes you all are my "family" and appreciate every one of you that took the time to reply.

It has been a wild and hairy time for sure, I spent all day Tues cleaning up from using the woodstove and had my floors cleaned for the first time in a long time, even took all the couch cushions, pillows, ect outside and vacumed the couch and then got up Thurs to a living room full of soot, oh heart breaking. WHen my stove vent pipe blew off all the wind blew it back into the woodstove and all over the floor and everything else. I did clean it up yesterday then went to bed at 7 pm and slept until 7 am. I have a freestanding propane fireplace in my bedroom so just shut the door and was toasty until I had to get up and go potty, it was a bit chilly.

Soo I finally got some info today and they were going to put me in a hotel and when I pulled in the driveway after work, they were here with the crane truck repairing the wire. My phone line is still laying on the ground but it is working so will take care of that tomorrow.

I am absolutley mentally and physically exhausted, my foot is still not healed and did try to go to the ER on Wed while I was out but it was a minimum 2 hour wait so I came home then an hour later the storm hit. They said the wind gusts were up to 78 mph, and since I live on top of a hill with no wind break I didn't have a chance.

My roof is still intact so didn't have to deal with that, it pulled the studs the metal roof was screwed to out of the old roof. It will take several weeks to get it repaired, I was able to get someone to remove the metal that was laying on my deck in fear that it would damage the deck and pulled it away from the house.

The guy came out yesterday to measure and assess the cost to repair it and removed the large peice on top that was flapping in the wind banging all night long, then came back today to get it off the back deck.

It might take a week before I get an adjuster here then compare reports of costs. But this new roof will be SCREWED in with very LONG screws. I will not go threw this again. It is heartbreaking to work all these years to get my house fix then have it destroyed in 5 minutes.

Now I am off to eat and soak in the tub for a few hours- thank you all so much, I can not tell you how much it meant to me to see all those posts. I know I haven't been able to post alot lately, but hopefully things will calm down soon and I can have a "normal" life- whatever that is, LOL.

I still have my sense of humor and am thankful for what I DO have, esp after hearing about the plane crash in Buffalo.

Thank you all so much for your kind words, prayers and support, it did lift my spirits-Love to all of you-Carla

[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Glad to get your report. I thought it might be a week before we would hear from you.
    Those pictures are fierce. Looks like a giant picked up your roof and tossed it
    in the tree.

Julie is right. The fact that it could have been worse doesn't make things any better.
    Was there a lot of damage in the area? If there was, I suppose that will delay the
    repairs. Good thing you have insurance to help.

I know it will be hard for you to do, but please try not to exhaust yourself with
    all the repair and cleaning work.

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I canot believe all this horrible stuff has happened to you, esp so close to that ice storm. Glad they will pay for you to stay into a hotel till it gets fixed. Hope you do not have to wait to long to get your roof put back on , etc. I wish you were closer then you could stay here.

i tried to look at your pictures that you put on your site but it wouldn't open or show me your pics for some reason. I hope I can see them soon as well as the video you have been taking also.

Just know we are all thinking about and praying that all goes well for you. Just remember, after all this mess that you and the girls are OK, maybe a bit upsetn disheveled, and exhausted BUT still alive and OK.

Yes, how is the rest of your area as Rock had also asked?? Yes, try not to do to much to soon either so you will end up in another flare. I know that is a tall order, when you see so much that needs to be done.

4. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Wow, that is incredible...yes, heartbreaking, but I'm glad you have insurance and can get it fixed. That was some storm!

I had no qualms about leaving my house (in Ohio) when I saw how damaging it was in other areas...still not over what I went through w/ Ike's winds...I really feel for what you experienced, as last fall the wind tore up my place pretty bad, and I was inside (that's why I didn't stick around this time-- took my kids and spent the night at a home w/ no big trees around).

Awesome photos...that first one w/ the red roof next to the house should win an award!

Take Care!
  5. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Carla, I appreciate that you took the time to tell us your story and post pictures, after all you've been through. You must be exhausted!

In times like this, we feel compelled to repair and clean back up to normal as fast as possible. You should take some time off to rest... physically & emotionally. You have been through TWO major traumas. The mess aint goin nowhere - it will wait for you. You had the right idea with the 2 hour tub soak.

Your fortitude amazes me. Not everyone has the strength to get through a series of disasters such as this, and still come out the other side with a positive attitude and sense of humor intact.

I hope you are blessed with months of mild, dry, sunny weather and the continued strength to put your home back together. I will keep you in my prayers.

6. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks Julie, ROck, Granni and Cathy. I almost felt like Dortohy and thought I might end up in OZ. I think the roof in the tree is rather a stunning picture too.

Yes there was a lot of damage to other homes as well. My ins co said they had 700 claims and the power co said there were 85 cases of wires down in homes and yards, ect.

Cathy glad to hear you didn't have any damage this time but understand why you left. I am not sure I would stay again if a warning like this happens again. As I said before I have no wind break being up on this hill now, it;s a great view but I miss the trees.

Granni I get to stay here, the orignial roof is still in tack, all the metal will be removed and all new metal and trim will be put back do I don't have to leave.

The guy that came yesterday said he could do it next week depending on materials and the ins adjuster getting here to see what they will pay.

I am ok now, just tired and not looking forward to the interuptions of people here for days and I am still not ready for my art show next sat. But it sure feels good to have a hot bath, that was sweet. So now to bed and see what I can do tomorrow and still get some rest too.

I really have been trying to slow down and pace but life won't let me,LOL. That is why I haven't been here much, had to give up some of my puter time because of the art club and weather.

Thanks you guys are a gals best freind. Give the critters a pet from Missy and Tyw. Carla
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

4ever you must have posted last night when I was. Thank you so much, I am not quite sure how I manage to do what I do. I did have a very difficult childhood and like Elaine said "what doesn;t kill us..." must be true. I made it threw divorces, cancer and multiple medical and personal issues and I am still standing, well more laying down today.

I found out many years ago that getting yourself tore up with worrying and fretting only uses more energy, I sorta go on auto pilot and get threw whatever, then I collapse afterwards.

Elaine you are so sweet and you have had your own trials by fire lately too, I am taking your alls advice and taking it easy, there really is nothing I can do now, just wait for ins people and contractors. I do need to finish 2 paintings to enter in the art show next week, so will go easy this week so I CAN go to the art show. we only have 2 a year so don't want to miss it.

4ever you too have been threw your share of trouble too and hope things have leveled out for you now. Thank you both for caring and sharing, it really is amazing how much we can take when faced with no alternative. Carla
  8. jole

jole Member

It's so good to hear from you and know things are "better"....or at least on their way to better! You know I live in Kansas, so feel free to drop in any time...LOL

Bless your heart, you are such a trooper. Yes, you and Elaine both have the same spirit, which I admire sooo much, and I know that's what keeps you on your feet. I do think about all the work you've been through with your home, and you deserve better! You know I care...love ya***Jole***
  9. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I can not belive all of your hard luck. This experience is simlpy unreal.
    We do not have much of a chance when nature acts up.
    I love how you get back up and keep on trooping.
    You are a wonderful example of a very good and strong woman!
    Love Denamay
  10. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

This thought keeps popping in my head whenever I read your posts.

"If I only had bad luck I've had no luck at all."

Gosh, I sure wish we could all come down and help you with all this work. I know you will pace yourself but just try and let the insurance company do the work.

Remember the other saying that bad things happen in three's. I think you've met you quota and will be good to go for quite a while.

How are the girls doing?

After all your dust settles remind me to tell you the story of when I was growing up and the tornadoes.

Love ya & take care
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2009]
  11. ckball

ckball New Member

Cate I liked your poem and who knows what all is under the mess, I feel like the wicked witch as I am "melting" from all the stress.

Monica thank you, as I know if I lived near you would be here. I wouldn't want to live in tornado alley for sure,

Denamy I would think I have had my share of disasters recently but I guess my early life disasters prepared me these. I am strong because I have to be, I have no one but me to depend on and my girls depend on me, so I just have to be.

I know without a doubt if I didn't have them, my life would be different, but when I get down and they come to raise my spirts with a pet or a lick I know I have to get over what ever it is for them.

Jole sorry to hear you are still not up to par either and hope you feel better and feel for you living in KS with all the tonoados, I pray this year will be different.

It means so much to me that I have this board and all these wonderful people who take the time to let me know they are here, it really does make a difference- HUgs to all- Carla
  12. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Carla, I thought Cate's poem was adorable too.
    What came to mind was that to me your roof looks like it's "ruby"...ruby red like the slippers!

We have no pets and surely miss out...but I do have kids, lol.

Cindy, up in Ohio
  13. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

When you live in the south do you guys have basements? Whenever we had tornadoes we had to go to the basement and go into the fruit cellar underneath the stairs. It was incased in concrete.

Just to remind you that I live in WI, so I'm not sure why other people don't have basements in their home.

Although, I must admit my father and I loved to watch the storms and the tornadoes. They live on a very high hill and you could always see them coming in. When I was real young my father and I were sitting outside and about a mile away we could see the tornado. I have lots of distinct memories of several tornadoes.