I am just in tears from this horriable PAIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Aug 1, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have learned that we need to have some form of exercise. So I have been trying the gentlest one.
    Deep End Water arobics, I love it so much but each class causes me so much pain for a couple of days after wards.

I had a class to night and I didn't do as much as everone else was doing and the insturctor knows that I have fibro &MPS and some pback problems as well as bad knees.
    So she has me just do the bare minumin so that I don't strain my self and cause more pain .
    I try not to do more than my body should do and I didn't do much to night but here it is 4 am in Utah and my back is so TIGHT as are my legs. And all the muscles in my body.

I want to kick and scream I don't need this. I just want to feel better . I am just trying to help my body feel better. But I am failing so badly that I don't know if it is worth it?

I can't take this never ending pain when I get home from the class.
    The fatique is so bad taht I will take a shower because I know that I will not be able to get out of the bath tub. And I will take a short shower and get out and get some thing to eat as this class is at 9:30 pm and for my just the work out makes me feel like I have not eaten at all. So I will eat somethings like grapes and a slice of 5 seed bread, and some milk and lots of water as I lose a great deal of it during the class. EVen though I have been drinking water all through that class.

I am so fatiqued that I can't even make it to my bed so I just drop on my couch and I start to dose off in to a sleep but just as I am starting to sleep something happens to me. The muscles jump so hard that it is painfull and it sends shooting pain through out my whole body and this spasam is so hard that it wil throw me almost off the couch.

Having my muscles being tight and then startle sends shooting pains and is so hard that my arms and legs will jump hard and that hurts me so much. I don't know what to do.

I want to keep taking this class because it is really good for me and I need some exercise. But this extra pain that I get makes me not sleep. I will sleep and dose for a hour or so and then I am awake and when I start to move to go to bed the pain is so horriable and sharp deeply inbedded in to my bones I find that I can't walk and I am so weak that just the movement makes me feel like I am going to fall.

Tonight was tough on me as I was walking out to my car my knees locked up and the pain was so intense and there was the side walk and I needed to step down and I needed some help to get off the sidewalk , Lucky for me one of the instructers was with me and she helped me to step down and not fall but I was so weak and suddenly light headed from the pain that was getting worse from just this short walk to my car. I sat in the car and just bawled hard as I could not move my legs adn get them to work enough to get the car started and to drive home.

I feel alseep on the couch and the pain from haveing my muscles startle feels like I have been slammed in to cement not just once but every few minutes. I don't know why this is happening to me, I don't know what I am doing wrong to have my brain send nerve pulse's of electrictiy that zap me with more pain and shocking me..

All I want to to be albe to do something that will help me to feel better and to make my life better. I don't get out much and walk as it hurts so much. So I thought that this Hydrofit class would help me... and I know that eventurally will help me I just have to get through this pain but I don't know how to do it.

What am I doing wrong? Why is my back hurting and burning with pain and I am so sleepy and tired but I can't stat alseep. And I need to sleep.

Am I doing things taht I should not do? Or is this just the result of having fibro and MPS along with degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, facet syndrome,bulging discs, arthritis in both knees and in my left wrist.There is much more but my brain is not at it's peak and I don't remember all the conditions that I have.

I started the class with the intention of getting some exedrcise so that my muscles don't shrink and not work and shorten as well. But the pain is getting worse with each class and I don't know if I am doing things wrong or if this extra pain is just the movement that my body is doing adn the muscles that have not worked in quite awhile that now are working. I know that working out effcts my muscles and there are muscles that have not moved in years and now I am finding them. And they are rebelling. And yelling at me with this never ending PAIN!

I am so scared adn Ihurt from my head to my feet evn the balls nad the bottom of my feet, my knees are throbbing as are every part of my body.

This is a new type of intence pain that feels like I have a nail gun that has beeen shot through out certian places in my body Hips, thighs, knees and my joints. I am so sleep and so tired that when I do lay down my body will not rest it is if the body is fighting having my muscle relax.And that is when I get the shooting pains from each muscle as it startles.

What do I do and why is this happening to me, I try to not do more that I should and tongiht I was just doing it as my own pace and yet I am suffering as much as when I over do it. I am so miserable to night and as I write I have to wipe my tears off my face and out of my eye's. I am so scared and frightened that this shooting .stabbing pain is more than just this class,But I don'tk now if it really is caused by it.

See now I can't think straight and I am hunting for words to discribe how badly I feel. I can't find the prdsin my mind and I hate it as I want to explain what is happening to me and I can't do it very well.

I desptetly need to go to bed and sleep as I can't keep my eye's open and this pain is getting worse and worse each minute that I sit her and type.
    So I will say good night for now. I really could use some advise abot what if anything I am doing wrong.
    Thanks for letting me whine while I tell you about this deep never ending pain.

Like a river it runs th rough out my body finding new places to go in to. It feels like a part of my body is like the canyons that have had a river cut and tear through the hard rock so shape some thing new. I am being cut and torn adn feel like I haev rapids running through my body the rapids are the shooting , jumping stabbing pain that I have. And the river is the nerves taht are misfiring and burning me makeing my body chagne adn not work right.

Sorry I can't see any more from the tears in my eye's.
    Rosemarie
  2. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Many feel swimming is the best exercise we can do. But, I experience the same difficulties as you. I have a pool and when I do exercise in it...I "expect" to feel badly.

First and most important...what is the temp of the pool? It's best for FMers to be in water that's 90 degrees. If it's colder than that, you're stressing your body. And, don't stay in any longer than 20 minutes at a time.

Make sure you're not trying to over extend your muscles. Work them very, very, very gently. Don't try to be a Jane Fonda and don't allow your instructor to force you to over extend yourself. You know your body better than anyone.

From the sounds of it...you're overdoing...very badly. If you're in this much pain..please back off and give your body a rest. Then, restart at a much, much slower pace.

Also, I have stopped using chlorine in my pool. I use an alternative...and that's helped a lot. Chlorine can cause people to have FM side effects...even if they don't have FM. You may be getting a double whammy...chlorine and over exercising.

That's my take on your situation...and it's sent with warm hugs.

Please take good care of you...

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Water aerobics can be very hard on us. You need a class for people who have severe arthritis that will be very easy and slow paced. General water aerobics is going to do you more harm than good.

Try and get a class than understands the dynamics if not of fm then arthritis.

I am so sorry you are in such pain. Do not go to class and rest up till you feel better. The chlorine could also be an issue for you.

Love Anne Cromwell
  4. toughone

toughone New Member

It's 4:30 am here in California and I've been up crying for an hour. I did some housework yesterday (more than the usual) and am paying for it now. I can't let the kids see me or they will cancel their plans for the day. It's very rare that they both leave for the day, so I don't want to ruin their fun. I'm taking the day off from everything and staying down on the couch. I keep telling myself I will enjoy the quiet, but this pain is so bad, it scares me. Took my meds and, as usual, no relief.

Rosemarie--I am with you in my heart, sharing the pain and sadness. Here's hoping that our day gets better...

toughone (Bonny)
  5. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Everyone is different when it comes to exercise and how it impacts their fibro. I feel for you. I know it sounds like you want to do it so bad but can't. If you are going to keep it up make sure you get your sleep. You seem to be starting out at the right level but maybe your body is not ready. I have tried over the past ten years to get back to weight lifting and finally have been able to this year. I workout 3 days a week for and hour. I can lift weights but anything cardio gets me to the point you are. I have given up for now doing the treadmill or anything cardio. But it's weird I can do bicep curls with 80lb dumbells and have no soreness afterwards. I have a personal trainer and she works me. She does not understand the Fibro, I also have CFIDS and MS. She keeps on pushing the cardio. I finally got mad at her and told her that she was being and a$$ and that I was her customer and paying her; $40.00 an hour, good price for a PT but still a lot of money. But it is working. Lost 26 lbs since starting in April. I feel better. But like last Friday was a workout day and I knew I was going into a flare. It is hard to tell if I am going into a fibro flare or MS or coming down with the flu. I kinda know it is not the flu because I have not had the flu in over 15 years or colds. It has to be my overactive immune response. So my Doc wants me to start another round of Immuno Suppressants and Steriods(almost the same thing) but I dont' know if it is Fibro or MS. So I wait. I don't want to put on the weight again. Finally fitting into close and feel good about myself again. 5 more lbs and I'll post a before and after. You can already see my before. But anyways about you; again talking to much about myself.

I know it hurts like hell. It will pass. Is there anything else going on in your life right now that could be making everything worse and the pain worse? New meds, new stressors? What are you on for pain killers. I am on Ultram - life saver. How is your sleep? It is really important to sleep so your body can renew itself. When you sleep is when your body releaszes the most growth hormone. Hope you start feeling better, take care of yourself - gentle fibrohugs - Bobby
  6. TAM

TAM New Member

HI Rosemarie,

I'm so sorry you have such a difficult time with your water exercises, and you get extra pain from it.

Its wonderful you want to exercise as we need to because its good for you, but hon it sounds like this type of exercise causes you more harm then good. I can't do water exercises because when water touches me its like tons of needles going threw my skin its all i can do to shower the pain is so bad.

You maybe should try something new that won't end up making you worse. I wish you better health and lots of happiness, take care, Tammy.