I am kinda scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PRC, Nov 10, 2008.

1. PRC

PRC New Member

My dr. put me on Morphine and my breathing seems depressed so I am not sure if this is a good med for me or not.

I have been having alot more pain problems than I used to, I don't know if it is the change in the weather or what.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on pain meds that are stronger than vicodin 10-325 but not as strong as morphine?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. PRC

PRC New Member

I had previously been on vicodin but it stopped working as well ao he prescribed something stronger because of the fibro and back pain, well it also helps my neuropathy pain.

I seems like my breathing is a bit better but I do worry because I am about to go to bed, I am ao wore out!

I will see about what Doxygirl, Hermitlady and Janalynn have about this type thing thanks for your help.

3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I was also on vicodin ( I have a lot of the same health issues you do with my back and neuropathy etc)....

about a year ago I started taking norco since vicodin was not working ....

I finally went to oxycodone 12 hour and it was helping a LOT more than even the norco did....

but as you probably know my ins pulled the rug out from under me and refused to pay for it since the generic co got sued and had to stop manufacturing it...

I could not afford to pay cash so I had to find something new....

so yes I have tried morphine, and but had some problems like itching and nausea and being so lethargic.....so finally this last month I was really at the end of my rope...

I was in such bad emotional shape from being in so much pain and not having control of it...it took me almost 3 minutes to stop crying once I started telling my dr how sick I was of trying different things only to still be in so much pain overall...

my dr said " well we need to get you back on something long acting and then you can use short acting for break thru......

so he put me on the fentanyl patch.....now granted for the first week I was nauseaous, and very tired..so I had to adjust....

I made myself stick it out to give this a real chance to work.....and I cannot tell you enough how much better Iam doing and Iam 100% sure it is the patch....

because long story short I had an issue with my pharmacy and was without my patch for two days and in that two days my pain went from a 2 or 3 to a 9+!!!

I went and picked up my patches and put one on and already in just an hour or so Iam already getting back my relief!

So....I hope this helps you.....knowing this....the fentanyl patch has helped me more than ANY other medication ever has....

I love it.....I have to put a new one on every two days since they do not last 3 days like the manufacturer claims....but

honestly it is so nice to get this much relief.....in fact it is kind of a head trip when the patches work this well....because I would like to believe that I am cured I feel that good....

but I have to keep telling myself ,....it is the patch working that is doing this!

Now...with all that being said I also have two medications for breakthrough pain....one is norco....and one is oxydose liquid , if I have breakthrough pain I can choose ONE of the two....

but at least I have choices to keep me comfortable....

because honestly I was getting so bad I was starting to do research on a pain pump......

being in pain gets old quick...and it tends to ruin our lives...I am not as strong as I used to be at handling my pain and instead would like to control it as much as possible at all times.....

my sister who works in a nursing home ( she is a director ) told me that staying ahead of the pain with pain medications is the key to them working well ( doing their job)

Let me know how your doing and what you decide to do ok?

If the morphine causing you to breathe slow definately tell your dr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and if it continues I personally would not want to keep taking it.......that is one of the reasons taking narcotic medications so strong like this can be concerning....we have to be careful at all times!:)

I hope your feeling better Pam:)

Love you
  4. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

My mom has severe back pain since she has FM and scoliosis. Her dr. recently put her on opana which seems to be working well for her. Personally, I don't know anything about the drug, just know that it is helping my mom.

Best of luck to you,
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

First of all if you're scared because of some side effects you're feeling, definitely contact your doctor.
    I can only give you my personal experience with pain meds. How many Vicodin are you taking or were you taking per day? Is it an option to raise the quantity?
    Secondly, percocet (Oxycodone) is stronger than Vicodin - so that's always an option for breakthrough pain.

A longer release or extended release med like Oxycontin would help tremendously. I was very nervous to go that route - I'm not sure why, but I was. It helped SO much I can't tell you. It relieves the ups and downs of the other meds.

Now I take a form of Oxycodone (no Tylenol in it) and Oxycontin.

Do you take any muscle relaxers? That also helps tremendously (sometimes) Each dr. I've seen (3) have all recommended that. I currently take Soma.

There are more options out there than just Vicodin and morphine. There are many different doses you can try as well. Unfortunately it's trial and error until you find what works best for you. Hopefully you have a dr. who's willing to work with you til you find the right solution.

Before I switched to the Oxycodone, I was on Norco and had upped my dose to the max per day. That's why I asked how many you were taking.

Hope the info was somewhat helpful.