I Am Leaving, Sort Of

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just got a new phone which allows me to access my e-mail. I can use the web too but I doubt I will considering the phone is so small. I will likely make the trip to the library and use their wifi about once a week if I need to. Sooooo, dear friends, I will not be checking the boards nearly as often nor posting as often.

This board has wonderful people who are generous and caring and I will miss everyone but I won't be gone completely. Please know that I will continue to pray for all of us and our loved ones.

Love, Mikie
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

You are always the voice of reason and calm on the board. We need you.

Would you reconsider? Is there a reason you can't use your computer and your new phone or am I being presumptuous to ask this?

You will be missed if you aren't here.

PS: Just read your other thread and I understand now why you will not be having regular computer access. We all have to do what we have too. If my DH doesn't find a job soon, I too, will be without internet.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2008]
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'll miss you.

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Try and come when you can. I am having a hard time with my puter too, so do understand, plus fatigue/heat.

Love Annie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As I posted on the other board, I'll be around for a bit. I have to learn how to use the phone to access the web. It's like the iPhone with a touchscreen. Oy! It does so much.

I have been paying almost $80 a month for my cell phone and about $145 for cable. For now, I've about decided I don't need the $50 a month cable computer access. With this phone, it's only $15 for unlimited access. I don't have a land line phone so I can't use cheap dial up.

I may get rid of everything except basic cable. In Feb., they have to start broadcasting in digital. With the exception of live sports, digital is almost as good as HD on an HDTV receiver. I would miss my TiVo but as I heal, I probably should broaden my life so that it doesn't revolve around the TV.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

We'll miss your daily presence on the board but will certainly enjoy and look forward to the times you are able to post. Who knows, maybe you will get accustomed to the baby-sized computer screen? ;-)

You will be in my thoughts and prayers too.

Love, Erika
  7. Jude

Jude New Member

Hi Mikie

Although I'm not on everyday either we both came here years ago when it was a much smaller board. I do check your posts to see what you have been doing. I find that as I interact more with the world outside of FMS I have less time to be on the internet. I know where you started from and am so glad that you have made the progress that you have. A lot of life has happened in the last seven years. We both have grandchildren now. I am very thankful that the board was here when we were both so sick, isolated and searching for answers. I will miss your positive posts. My email addy is still the same if you ever want to get in touch.

8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Thanks for always being here for everyone. You have been a source of inspiration and encouragement.

Stay in touch! We will all be looking for you.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hated to post this because I'm not really leaving permanently. It's just that the little phone isn't the best way to read on the web. It does fine for my e-mails, though. I'll just have to make a practice of stopping at the library a couple of times a week to catch up.

I'll miss all y'all and hanging out here more often but, like so many of us, I have to trim my cash outflow where I can. I would never have bought such an expensive phone but I got two discounts on it, great discounts on the accessories I needed for it, and 20 percent off my monthly service charges. That means that my phone bill won't change, even with the addition of internet access and I can drop the cable fast connect for a net gain.

These dadburn newfangled machines can do so many things now that we have to constantly decide where we are going to receive our services from. In the beginning, all we had was dial up with a land line. Then, came cable fast connect and land line DSL. Now, the phones can do it.

I just had to do some computer based training at work. It's amazing how many of our employees haven't ever used computers. They really struggle with the training. For those of us who do use the gadgets, it's an ongoing process just to keep one step ahead of technology. Of course, in a week, I will be one step behind technology.

I was having problems getting online. Well, I finally called Verizon and the guy forgot to add the internet feature. Oy! Using all the features of the phone is hard enough without that kind of frustration. In the end, we got it straightened out and I'm now reading my e-mails and sending text messages to other phones and e-addresses. The rest of it is stuff I already know how to do.

You guys are the greatest and have touched my heart with your responses. I'll be online on the computer for a while yet until I get this all straightened out. Prayers, hugs and love to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As I said, I'll miss not being here as much but I will check in. Thank you so much for your kind words. The reason I'll be back is because of all the wonderful members here, like you.

I think I'll trek down to the library today to check out their wifi. I also want to check Barnes & Noble; I think they have wifi too but if I have to spend a lot of money on coffee just to sit and use the wifi, it probably would negate the savings. The Toyota dealership has wifi for customers but it's too far to drive. I only use it when my vehicle is in for service. Now there, they feed me lunch while I wait. But, I digress...

I woke up feeling just a tad better today than I have from all the allergies. I still have to check out the library and disconnect the boxes on my TV's and return them to Comcast. Also, I need to practice just a tad more on the phone. I can send text messages to other phones and to e-addresses and read my own e-mail. I can go to websites but, honestly, it is a real pain to read on the phone. I'd probably use the library for that.

Thanks for your reply. I'll be around for a bit longer before giving up my computer internet access and am doing as much as I can before I have to learn to live with just the phone. In a month or so, I won't even notice it. It's just that change is strange for us.

Take care of yourself.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hey, Guys, I'm at the libray and on the wifi. It is soooo fast. I'm overwhelmed with what a nice place this is. I got my library card and am about to take a tour. This may be the best of all possible outcomes. It is only 1 1/2 miles from my home. If I get really ambitious, I may pack my laptop into my backpack and ride here on my bike. The library is on the way to and from work, so I can stop in at least once a week.

Gotta go. One more step to my dependence on Comcast. Yea!

Love, Mikie
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Bless you Mikie. I left you a note on the other side. God bless you and may ALL continue to go with you and all of life changes.

We will miss you hon.

Hugs and blessings.

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The tour was self-guided. I just wanted to hit the highlights so I would know where everything was. The whole place is "hot" so there is no waiting for the wifi unless you need to plug in your laptop. They also have their own PC's you can use for free. They will kick people off of those if there is a waiting line. I would imagine that during "high season" in the wintertime, the place would be quite crowded.

I messed up my last post on this thread. I'm taking one more step to get away from dependence on Comcast. I'm going back to just basic cable. I'm spending enrirely too much money with them. My guess is that lots of people are trimming their cable services. I'm just glad I have room to trim.

Thanks again to everyone for all your inspirational messages. I've actually spent more time online today because I know this connection will be gone soon.

Love, Mikie
  14. jole

jole Member

Wow, I was really relieved to see that you're not leaving permanently! We can deal with once a week, even if we don't like it :) But I would have a REALLY hard time if you said it was for good.

Like some of the others, when I first came to this board, you were one of the moderators, and always very caring and concerned about everyone. You have taught us all a great deal about our diseases and symptoms; not only ways to treat them, but also ways to cope with them. I will always be grateful to you for your kind words and support.

You are so much more high tech than I....some of what you say doesn't even make sense to me - LOL. The best I can say is that we're thinking of giving up our house phone and going strictly to our cell phones to save some $$.

Friends ***Jole***
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks you so very much for your very kind and generous words. You have touched my heart today. Thank you. Bless you and keep you.

I gave up my land line several years ago and have never missed it. The only drawbacks I can see is that one cannot have dial-up nor send faxes. A land line and monthly dial-up service cost about the same as a cable fast connect. I have only sent two faxes in the years since I've given up my service. I can either use friends' computers to fax, pay the guy at the shipping store a couple of bucks to send faxes, or attach the document to an e-mail. I never get telemarketing calls either.

My cell phone is great for reading my e-mails and I've learned how to reply (the instruction manual leaves a LOT to be desired. I use it for my alarm clock, a calculator, and the calendar keeps my schedules. I can even set alarms for events on the calendar so I don't miss them. It is an amazing MP3 player with the most comfortable ear buds I've ever used. If a call comes in when I'm listening to music, I just click on the mike on one of the earbud wires and I can interrupt the music and take the call. Lots of bang for the buck in something slightly larger than a credit card. Almost forgot, I always have a camera with me in the phone and I can send pics to other phones and e-mail them too.

Love, Mikie