I am literally so tired I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Apr 26, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have been in a flare for about 3 weeks now. The fatigue is nearly unrelenting and some days I feel like I just cannot make it through.

I work full time as a bookkeeper for 2 restaurants, so much time off is not an option because there is no one to back me up and much to be done.

I don't really know what to do. Should I go back to the doc, should I try some new something? I need your advice badly.

My mind says I need to go to the doc, but my wallet says it cannot withstand multiple visits at $40 a pop. I worry that if I do go, he won't know how to help me, but I think that is sort of silly, but there it is, none-the-less.

What do you do when you flare and are just dog tired after shower and dressing when time off is not a real option?

Sonya
  2. Jordane

Jordane New Member

HI SONYA,
    I applaud you working under those conditions!!!
    I have been going thru a really bad flare up for 2 wks now!
    But I dont wrk,had to give up,too much against me health wise.
    Theres not very much that I can tell you.I have been in bed for most of the time.I have been so tired I just cannot
    stay up for long.
    Do you have the flu symptoms with it??
    The only thing I can suggest is try to rest in between jobs.Pamper yourself when you do get home.
    A nice long soak in the tub,if someone there to wait on you, let them take over for awhile,let them make meals,do the housecleaning,etc.
    You need some rest!!You deserve it!!:>)
    sending gentle hugs
    Jordane

3. srh

srh New Member

I feel for you. I work full time and it is hard.
    I've been feeling bad for a couple months. Somewhere in there I could literally not keep my eyes open all day.

There were several days I took a cat nap during my lunch break. Or even on the morning and pm breaks. Just anything to give me little ump.

Wish you luck.
    Hugs..........
  4. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I would definately go to the dr. I can't afford to go to the dr much either so I know how you feel.

I am lucky that now I am on a sliding scale fee but I have no insurance.

I would just let the dr know that your current treatment is no longer working.

By the way you didn't mention what medication you are on.

Kudos to you for still working I don't know how you do it.

I miss working sometimes, the idea of having my own money, not what my hubby earns.

Hope you feel better soon.

Pamela
  5. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I was literally dragging myself from point A to point B. I work full time also, with CFS & FMS, and just couldn't take much more. I was worried about having to go to disability, and I am the one making the lion's share of the money & have the benefits, my husband is self employed.

My pain mgmt Dr referred me to a neuro, who immediately switched me from zoloft to wellbutrin, and I can already tell a big difference in energy. I will also switch from Topomax to Neurontin in a month or so.

Sometimes a med change is best- they sort of stop working for whatever reason. This may be part of your problem, or simply the wrong drugs entirely!
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thanks for the applause LOL. Seriously, me NOT working right now is not an option. I sympathize with all who cannot, believe me, and count myself lucky that I can.

Jordane,
    Yes, sometimes I have the flu-like pain and sometimes not. That is really the worst. I have some percocet that is stole from my husband for that. I take 1/2 of a 5mg and that works for 24 hours. It is one thing I want from my doc for the times that I need more than Tylenol.

I am afraid he won't give it to me because of the addiction issue, but I think when I go I will ask if he would be willing to give me 15 or even 10 at a time.

As it is right now even 10 would last me for months. How much could he object to that??? My PCP is that way with the Xanax he gave me. He was worried about addiction but gave me 20. I only take 1/2 at a time and the first script lasted 8 months, I think.

I am on my 2nd script now and have had that for quite a long time too. I hadly ever need to take it.

I do not get a break, but am fortunate to be in an office so I can sit all day.

Right now I am only on 25mg of amitriptiline, .5mg of clonazapem and 3mg of melatonin at bedtime.

I know I have to go. I am just putting it off. I had to take 1/2 of a percocet today and that gives me some energy, but I won't take it for that since I KNOW that is bad news. I refuse to take it for anything but excruciating pain or that flu-like pain. Otherwise it is caffine or just pushing through.

Fortunately, my husband is very good to me and most nights I do just crash when I get home.

Thanks to everyone and I hope and pray we ALL feel loads better soon.

Sonya
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I can't even imagine how you work.It must take incredible strength.The only thing I know of is the peroxide and Epsom salt bath-search title-it has been on here a lot.I will pray for some easing of your pain.

Bunneyfluff- I take some heavy duty meds and Neurontin is the one that helps me the most.let me know how it works on you,Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2006]
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Always nice to hear from a sister in the Lord.
  9. jole

jole Member

I continue to work full time also, and have been in a flare that won't quit. Today I was up, showered, and as I was dressing I just couldn't take the pain and fatigue any more. It was a toss up between hobbling into work in tears(if I actually could drive)or going back to bed.

Well, I "chose" the bed, or it chose me. I slept for 4 hours more, was up an hour then back to bed for 3 more. I don't know how much longer I'll have a job, but some days we really need to listen to our body. (Ha! Like by that time there is any listening. IT's already past it's limit.

Please take care. If you've pushed to the limit, stay home. A day doesn't cure your problems, but it gives a tiny reprieve.

Friends - Jole
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't. I know you need to work full time and I really don't know how you do it.

Try again with the doctor for the Percocets. I can't imagine him not willing to give you 10 or 20.

The Lortabs I take give me energy and keep me awake, so if I'm in pain badly at night, I'm up so long at night. That is the only problem for me.

Many prayers for you to cope, hon. I think about you a lot.

Take good care of yourself.

Love,
    Faye
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Faye,
    So nice to hear from you. I think of you often also and wonder how you are doing. I can't imagine him refusing a small amount of pain meds either, but you just never know. He was very good about the Klonopin since it was such a small amount and of course I have to go in every so often.

I just don't have an addictive personality. I was off Klonopin cold turkey for probably 2-3 months before the symptoms started coming back and I went back to get some more. I had no reaction what-so-ever, which is good because the reason I was off cold turkey is that I was out of town for 30 days when I ran out and did not realize that I had to go back before I got any more and they refused even 1 month.

So when I got back I wasn't noticing any problems so I just stayed away until I did! I think any reasonable person would agree to such a minor amount and you have to have a new script every time anyway for percocet.

Hey, no one is going to get hooked on 10 pills a month! and I bet I could make those last for several months.

Jole,
    I know how you feel. Wednesday was like that for me and yesterday too. Wednesday we had a consultant coming in to work with me so I had to go and yesterday was payroll day. It is so hard when you have a one person office and no one to fill in (remember Tigger struggling with this also).

I always think the same about the one day thing. I think staying home one day won't really help because the Saturdays and Sundays that I do nothing doesn't, so I keep on going, but you know that once you get there it is hard to get out if you are feeling bad, but I have done that 2 or 3 times since I have been there.

One day I felt very feverish and had a meeting with a lady from the bank and stayed through that and then just left.

Angela,
    I tried CoQ-10 at one time (it is not cheap) but honestly did not feel any different when I stopped it. I looked at the Mitichondria Ignite, but the cost is a bit prohibitive honestly.

I have gotten supps from ProHealth and have ProEnergy right now. I used to use the ZMA also, but quit. I might start that again and also might get the doc to up my Elavil when I finally go.

Love to all and hope you all feel better soon.

Sonya
  12. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've had FM for two years now and I've discovered something that helps me about 80% of the time with the fatigue.

I seem to reach a point (usually once a month) when I wake up and feel like I've hit a wall. It's more than just the pain and stiffness. It's that plus the most extreme fatigue. I lucky that my work doesn't have a problem if I need a day or two a month, and quite frankly there's absoutely no way I could go anyway.

My husband gives me a pain pill and I stay in bed until at least noon (normally I'm up at 5:30am). I take a long, hot bath and relax on the couch, occasionally doing some light stretching. The most walking I do is to the bathroom and back.

I hit that wall yesterday and I'm back at work today. I will take my pain pills twice a day (I only usually take them at night)for the next 3 or four days.

I've been following this for the past six months and it's allowed me to function a little better than before.

Regards,

Eileen

13. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I work full time also - in flare or out,

Adderall, 10 mg taken 1-3x/day has made all the difference in my level of functioning.

It doesn't make you super alert, but it does treat the symptoms of chronic fatigue.

Other people have also been helped with Provigil (modafinil) or Ritalin (methylphenidate hcl).

It definitely sounds like you need symptomatic treatment of your fatigue - it does help.

The dose regimen I am on is lower than the regular dose for ADD.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  14. cycling

cycling New Member

Hope you are feeling a little less fatigued today. Although, at least for me, when I get that bad it's hard to recover. I've been dealing with this for 40 years and in the last ten it's gotten way worse. I'm a bookkeeper too and I sit all day at a desk and am on the computer the whole time. I'm a full time full charge bookkeeper so I do it all. I've been doing this for 30 years already and a year ago January I came to work and it was payroll day and I was sitting here and literally could not remember how to do it not just for a few minutes but all morning and I panicked. Called the Dr right away and left with payroll undone. From that point on I have had several other days just like it. I talked the company I work for to hire a PR service since no one else here can even do it. So I know how it is for you. Hope you can get some rest. Good luck, cycling
  15. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thank God we do have a payroll service, but of course it still has to get posted on the time sheets and faxed by a certain time or we do not get the checks.

Since we are a restaurant, I do not have to do billing but my boss is a data junky and is constantly thinking of new reports and analysis he wants. It keeps me on my toes.

The job itself is not that bad, but that there are days I cannot miss and don't know what I would do if I was knocked out with with something else like the flu or whatever.

I have to drive 40 minutes each way too so it makes it a pain to go for just a short while to get something done and then come home but you do what you gotta do.

My fatigue was better yesterday and today which is good because yesterday we only had one server for lunch so I was the hostess/food runner/waitress/busser! and today I am cleaning the house for company tomorrow.

The funny thing about that is that we are having them come here because of the fact that I have been so wiped out for weeks!! I am kind of rethinking that now! LOL

But the good news is that my 12 year old daughter is a great help and will do what I can't. She is at a church function this morning but will be back around 12:30.

I have done our bedroom and will do what I can and leave the rest to her. I am doing okay but moving slowly.

Have a restful day everyone.
    Love,
    Sonya
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I would be too even without Fm working so hard. I feel you mmust have incredible stamina to do this. How courageous of you.

Is there no way you can get a break???

Love Anne c
  17. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sonya:
    Off to the doctor you go. Being that sick you need one.
    I would do it as soon as possible and give your doctor some straight-talk as you did above. One way or another he may very well find a way for you to get out of this flare.
    Start getting the forty dollars out of your purse!

Feel better soon.

hugs,
    nyrofan
  18. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sonya:
    Off to the doctor you go. Being that sick you need one.
    I would do it as soon as possible and give your doctor some straight-talk as you did above. One way or another he may very well find a way for you to get out of this flare.
    Start getting the forty dollars out of your purse!

Feel better soon.

hugs,
    nyrofan
  19. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

you make me laugh! Hey, first I have to get forty dollars IN my purse before I can get it OUT! LOL

Anne,
    I am one of those people that just do what I want basically! Some call that hard headed...

I felt a bit better after I did my room and actually would up doing the livingroom and kitchen...

But now I am done for the day and off to sit on my bed and read. I know you all have read that advice not to use your bed for anything but sex and sleep - heck, I LOVE my bed! I read there, watch tv. I have 3 inches of memory foam and a heated mattress pad. AHHHH...

Hugs,
    Sonya
  20. ibnormal2

ibnormal2 New Member

Believe it or not my doctor put me on ritalin for a month to get me over my flare...It worked for me..But I have never heard of a doctor doing that for any one else...Kathy F...