i am losing weight! YAY!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bigmama2, Jun 16, 2010.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

looong story short-i used to be thin and fit- but i have gained about 130 lbs in the past 15 years. not good. very not good. the weight gain was due to my food addiction, inactivity from cfs, and some other stuff. i have had various eating disorders for 25 years. argh!

i tried everything to loose weight- but when you have a food addiction- it is pretty impossible to follow any diet. i tried hypnosis, weight watchers, counseling, fat "camp", various group weight loss classes or support groups, and much more. nothing helped me. even tried 12 step program but their "viewpoint" does not work for me.

but now i have lost 45 pounds!!!! for me this is like a FRIGGIN MIRACLE!!!!!! SERIOUSLY.

I have a long way to go- but for once-- the journey has started!!! this is the first time in like 15 years i have been able to lose any weight!!!

how am i doing it? well first of all - my CFS has improved from severe to moderate. that enabled me to get some exercise. due to injuries/pain, swimming was the best for me. and some walking. and now some light dancing or low impact (and low intensity) aerobics.

eating less, and healthier. i am eating fruits, veggies, salads, lean meats, fish, nuts, carbs in moderation. ****also i have to have very little food in the house.*** that's the key thing for me. if i have the tasty junk food in house- i will eat it- all. not a pretty sight. so i am still an "addict". probably always will be. but i do have treats sometimes.--but i try to buy them in a single serving size, then eat and enjoy! the single serving thing is crucial!!!!!!

so i will keep trying- and if the number on the scale ever goes under 200- get ready to hear a sonic boom of joyful shrieks emminating from the florida area. he he he.

good luck to anyone who struggles with their weight!!!

(misfit- i read your other post- good luck- you can do it! )

2. victoria

victoria New Member

So glad for you, you must be feeling a whole lot better!

I know we almost never bring any junk food into the home, it helps!

3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

YOU GO GIRL!!! Woo hoooo! I am very happy for you. I have struggled all my life w my wt. My paternal g-ma was so big that when she died in her sleep it took 5 grown men to get her down the stairs wrapped in a sheet. My sister weighed almost 400. Shes lost wt but she wont tell me how much lol. Ive never gotten THAT big tg. Im sure i easily could have. Ive lost significant amts of wt 3 times in my life. I just couldnt maintain. That was the hardest part for me. I had just accepted that i was one of these ppl who was doomed to be fat. I didnt care anymore. Nothing like being convinced that all things sugar could be making me sicker. I dont know if im right or not...this is like my own experiment. If i lose wt it would be a bonus. If i dont get that awful pain ill have won the lottery lol. So congratulations and keep up the great work!
  4. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Oh...youre going to have to get a new username before much longer!
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

That is just great. Good luck to you in maintaining and losing even more. That is a really hard job. I have always been super skinniny. Well, the past 5-10 years I have gained about 15 labs. or so. I know that sounds like nothing but it is mostly in the moddle and of course thighs and butt. I have been so much less energetic, really never feel like doing much but have to push myself.

My metabolism has slower down to a crawl and I to have been craving sweets and if I have it in the house I will eat it. So, I try not to buy to much of it. I can't eat what I do not have.

I even bought myself some Slim Fast last week so I could drink it at lunch time. I drank one and then cheated the next day with a frozen pot pie with DH. Today I had a meeting and luncheon to go to afterwards. OMG, I ate almost the whol thing with dessert to of course.

My biggest problem is that I am alot bigger on the bottom then on the top and now many of my pants do not fit unless they have elastic or some in the waistband. What a struggle, esp.as we get older.

Keep up the good work, hon !

6. stick2013

stick2013 Member

It's so hard to lose weight as we age. I have lost 25lbs in the past 5 weeks due to stress, and having NO appetite. Not a great way to lose, but at this point it isn't even about the weight, I just don't care.
  7. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

everyone for the support and comments!

dont ya just long for the olden days like in the 70's and earlier when so few people were really heavy. there were waay less eating disorders, foods were healthier, more natural, smaller portions, less fast food joints, and lifestlyles were more active. back then most people were a fairly normal weight. and now- so many people struggle with being overweight.

the whole addiction part of it is the hardest for me. please dont blast me but i have often thought it would be easier (for ME) to be an alcoholic or drug addict than a foodaholic. because you can go to rehab or support group and then when you quit you can just stay 100% away from alcohol/drugs. but with food- well you have to eat- several times a day!

the ironic thing is that many years ago i went thru a somewhat aneroxic stage, then became full on bulimic, then for a few glorious years, i was pretty eating disorder free, and at a healthy weight. (had a really good figure!) then back came the food addiction, then cfs, then over time the 130 pound weight gain. at highest was close to 300 lbs. for years was at 270. right now 238!! yay!

little tip- frozen grapes are really yummy and sweet tasting.

good luck to everyone, again
  8. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

You will soon need a new "username." I was thinking "Mediumam", or "Notsobigmamma," or "Lessofmemama." The opportunities are limitless!

Congratulations to you, keep up the good work and keep us updated!

Edited to add.....some of us will live our lives vicariously through you and your successes!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2010]
  9. spacee

spacee Member

Sounds like you have been though quite a learning journey about it.

Yes, I do at least think about the 70's and how things have changed.
    The food commercials on tv are exactly what I think about the next day.

Good going, going gone! For you!!
  10. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Littlermama...you brought up the point that my sister and i used to talk about...those with different addictions can stay away from it. You HAVE to eat so your "drug" is a necessary one. And food is EVERYWHERE! In your face constantly. And the commercials! Now that summers here all the ones for ice cream places are bringing me to my knees. Waaah!
  11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Forty five pounds is a significant amount of weight to lose and it represents a lot of devotion and hard work. Congratulations!

Like you, I've been working to lose weight and I have -over the past two years - lost a total of 52 pounds. I have 20 more pounds to lose before I reach my goal of 170 lbs.

I still need to use a walker but getting around is easier and less painful. Also, I can breathe easier now(I have COPD). I feel better in general and better about myself so that makes the effort of losing weight more than worth it.

Maintaining a significant weight loss can be difficult (I know this from past experiences) but I'm determined to keep the excess weight off this time. I hope you do the same.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa