I am my own Doc.......zoloft issue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Sep 25, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

What I decided after researching aspartame is that my diet snapple habit was attributing to my illness, so in my learning about aspartame (under health is a good source of info) suppresses the serotonin levels, ok, so with this knowledge I decided that there are a whole lot of people on antidepressants and mostly women and of course I don't see a whole lot of men putting nutra sweet in their coffee so........that led me to the conclusion that the aspartame causes a depression state, and since I quit aspartame 100% I decided I no longer needed my zoloft, 100mg daily. So I quit. About a week ago, you are not supposed to do this of course but I don't follow directions well, so anyway, I am not having a problem but I noticed that I am eating way less. I mean about 1/10th of what I was eating in a day. No cravings. No stupid foods, only healthy normal size meals. This may have to do with the nutra sweet thing but not sure yet, anyway, I know I should not have done that but just wanted to share. be interesting to see if I can take off this darn 70 lbs I have gained in the past yr & half. I will let you know.

Jaci

(Edited by Moderator)
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

What I decided after researching aspartame is that my diet snapple habit was attributing to my illness, so in my learning about aspartame (under health is a good source of info) suppresses the serotonin levels, ok, so with this knowledge I decided that there are a whole lot of people on antidepressants and mostly women and of course I don't see a whole lot of men putting nutra sweet in their coffee so........that led me to the conclusion that the aspartame causes a depression state, and since I quit aspartame 100% I decided I no longer needed my zoloft, 100mg daily. So I quit. About a week ago, you are not supposed to do this of course but I don't follow directions well, so anyway, I am not having a problem but I noticed that I am eating way less. I mean about 1/10th of what I was eating in a day. No cravings. No stupid foods, only healthy normal size meals. This may have to do with the nutra sweet thing but not sure yet, anyway, I know I should not have done that but just wanted to share. be interesting to see if I can take off this darn 70 lbs I have gained in the past yr & half. I will let you know.

Jaci

(Edited by Moderator)
  3. SweetOceanBlue77

SweetOceanBlue77 New Member

Hi Jaci,
    I'm on Zoloft and have been taking it for a couple of yrs now for my Bipolar disorder. I must say it has helped me, although the side effects I'm not happy with, low libido, dry mouth etc...
    Thanks so much for sharing. Have A Nice Day!

Michelle K.
    SweetOceanBlue77@aol.com
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Kudos for eliminating the Neutrasweet from you diet. I am a strong believer that SSRI's should be reserved for people who need them and not prescribed just because a person has CFS or FMS. I also believe that many docs who prescribe SSRI's are not qualified to prescribe them and do not understand the long-term side effects of these drugs. They are not to be used lightly. This said, I believe it is just as dangerous to just go off them cold turkey and should not be done without consulting your doc.
    I am glad you are doing so well.

Love, Mikie
  5. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

going off them cold turkey can be a problem, believe me I struggled with an addiction to librium (tranq like valium) for 12 yrs, I was taking it for anxiety, so I am very familiar with withdrawel and all of that, I am closely watching my moods, etc. My husband is also, he will tell me if he thinks I am suffering, sometimes we are not the best judge of our own mental state, but so far I must say I feel better not worse, just not sure what all it is due to as I have several things going on, including what could be protracted withdrawel from the librium, I have only been off it since July 1. Time will tell, I will definitely get help immediately if I think I need it. I agree SSRI's are over used, I did have benefit from it too, just in my tolerence level of stress but I am doing fine so far. I think being away from it is far more beneficial.

Jaci
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I stopped all my Diet drinks and Nutrasweet a couple of weeks ago and I am experiencing the same thing as you are~~no more food craving and MUCH less appetite. I have already lost almost 10 pounds. I am drinking a lot of water and am finally getting rid of my edema that has been a constant companion for years. I went to the liver doc yesterday and my BP was only 122/64!!!!! That's a first! Why in the harry were we not made aware of this years ago??? I know there's been a controversy about Nutrasweet for years, but I had no clue that without it I'd lose weight and my health would drastically improve! All of this can be credited to this board~~I wouldn't have ever abandoned my Diet Coke without this support and knowledge!!!!!! Thanks to all!
    With love,
    Kady
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I get 90% of my info here also.

Jaci
  8. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Jaci, thanks for posting I was going to this week as well but have been really sick. I decided to quit my amitryptalene cold turkey, as much as I know that is a no no, I am a better doctor for myself then my own doctor I think. Anyway, I have been kind of naseaus (SP?) this week but noticed the next day I was eating way less. Because I also was starting to put on weight and eat a ton, I was on 100mg just increased 2 months ago. So, feeling good so far, but I certainly know my sugar intake doesn't help although, I have been craving fruit and healthy things this week, my body seems to know when I need it. Thanks for talking about your decision, I am right behind ya!
    Sarad
  9. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

It is not a good idea, Mike is right. Any Dr will tell you that and nowhere will you find a suggestion to do so, we need to realize we are not suggesting this to people to do, a lot of people have had serous problems by doing this and I do not want to encourage others to jump off the bridge just I say so, so to speak.

I only wanted to report what has happened to me, I do think (I am not a Dr) that amitriptilene is a more dangerous drug to do that with than zoloft, please, please people reading this do not just do this cuz we did. We do not want to cause harm to others or put the board in a position of being concerned about the things we share.

Jaci
  10. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi Jaci, I also had been "using" nutrasweet for years and had problems with "depression" although mostly I felt I wasn't really depressed. There were only a couple times in my life that I had situational depression...believe me, anyone would have been depressed going through those times. But, I did take prozac and it seemed to be appetite suppressant for me. Didn't really lose a lot of weight or anything, but maintained well. I t made me pretty jittery and seemed to have more energy.
    With the onset of CFS (suddenly?---or maybe had it for years and just had occasional huge flares) in spring of 2001, i wnt off the Nutrasweet and found a HUGE correlation with the brain fog....it lifted a lot within a few days. My docs, looking at my past, wondered along with me, if "it" could be a revisit of depression....so I went along with going on Prozac once again. Several months and no change. Tried Celexa. Months and no change. Then Zoloft....Started with lots of appetite increase and weight increase and no change with illness state. So, I went off all the anti-depressants. I think some docs are still so focused on all of this being a mental thing...sure, I can see how it can BECOME mentally destructive when you are physically shut down and so symptomatic. I know many people benefit from the drugs, but I think all should carefully assess and not just let the docs give you something to "try". I have been finding going off some of the little "poisons", at least I call them that now---such as food additives, the nutrasweet and other sweeteners, alcohol---seems to be so destructive to me now when before wasn't---and learning about detoxing body of all the crap around us. I am so glad to find all of the info from all of you. I sat around for way over a year waiting for some miracle or some magic potion from some doc that doesn't exist....and now I know my body is my own---MY temple that I am responsible to try and help fix what may be "broken". Knowledge IS power. More power to all of you and strength as well. Eileen. (Thanks Jaci,,,,you help me alot:)
  11. KLynn

KLynn New Member

not a diet drinker but.....i was on antis for a few years and i did come off zoloft cold turkey...i was fine for almost two weeks then BAM!!!...the withdrawl almost did me in....the way it messed with my mental state was horrid......oh oh oh the side effects of that!!! i had to go back on just to get off again.....but i did it right the second time.....i am glad i am off but it had to be done responsibly.....i almost didnt make it out of that one....

goodluck

~KLynn
  12. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am really concerned also about if I have done myself more harm than good, I just have to be really attentive, I do notice that I am not as passive (sorry Mikie) but maybe that is ok. I am not sure, I need to just shut up maybe & think before I speak or type. My hubby is watching closely and I do trust him implicitly so if he says "Honey, you might wanna go on the zoloft & taper off" then I will. Have any of you gone off suddenly from 100 mg daily & done ok??? I would love to hear from you, I need encouragement on this issue.

I, too feel that we are ingesting way too many toxins and I want to lessen the drugs I take, I have to make sure I pick & choose & do not want to destroy my organs, heck, I dunno. Sometimes I think I have things all figured out & other times I feel lost.

I am going to visit my family this wknd across the mtn and I get to hold a new baby girl & see my Gramma so that will be wonderful medecine, there is nothing as good for us as people who love us, I do know that for sure.

Jaci
  13. BethM

BethM New Member

I admire your strength and determination! Please be careful, though. Sounds like your husband is a good observer for you. Good luck and good health, keep all of us posted on your progress.

I agree, we all take in too many toxins in the form of medication and smog and pesticides, etc., and cleaning up what we can of the toxins in our lives is a good idea. I buy organically grown/produced foods when I can, and when I can afford them, as I believe that can make a difference too.

I quit Nutrasweet a long time ago, but gee, (tongue in cheek)maybe I should go back on it for awhile so I can go off it and lose weight! Just kidding...

Peace,
    Beth.
  14. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I honestly do not know what I would do without my incredible husband and my nephew Cody, I am raising him, they are both the most wonderful people I have ever encountered. I am so lucky. I am a person who spent my 2o's & my early 30's being stupid, immoral, hurtful to others etc. I think I am living proof that God forgives because I would not have deserved Scott & Cody without that. I could go on forever, I love them so much, I cannot do enough good for them or give them enough love, in many ways the Fibro has been good because it really has forced me to get very real.

I will keep you all updated on my zoloft issue.

Jaci