I AM NEW " ARE THERE ANY AFRICAN AMERICAN WITH FIBRO ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SOPHILIA, Aug 12, 2003.

1. SOPHILIA

SOPHILIA New Member

I AM A 33 YR OLD AFRICAN AMERCAN WITH A HUSBAND AND 2 CHILDREN 3 YRS AGO IT WENT DOWN HILL FOR BE I DEVOLPED IBS I ALREADY HAD ASTHMA I THEM STARTED HAVING ALOT OF INFECTIONS .SO NOW 3YRS LATER I HAVE HAD SPINAL SURGERY FOR C4-7 FUSION BONEGRAFT WITH PLATE I HAVE NEORPATHY IN MY RIGHT ARM AND HAVE LOST SOME USE OF THERE FINGERS I WAS JUST DD WITH DDD AND SPINAL STENOIS AND TMJ NOW MY JOINTS ACHE LIKE IAM 100YROLD I AM IN PAIN ALL THE TIME THE FATIQUE IS UNBELEIVBLE. MY MEDS ARE ALBEUTEROL, HYDROCONE,SKELAXIN,TRAZADONE NAPROXEN,DICYCOLMINE,MILK MAG,FIBROCON CIPRO ETC. I HAVE BEEN READING THIS BOARD AND ASKED MY MD ABOUT FIBRO BUT HE TOLD NO BECAUSE THAT ONLY THE LAST RESORT WHEN ALL ELSE HAS BEEN RULED OUT . IF SOMEONE WOULD BE SO KIND AND HELP ME. I FILED FOR SSI AND AM WAITING TO SEE THE ADMIN JUDGE ,
  2. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

I'm not Afro-American either, but want to welcome you here also. Sorry that you have so many problems. Wish I could offer some help. I have chronic fatigue and am just not that familiar with fibro. However, there's a lot of great people here who are supportive, understanding and knowledgeable in a lot of areas.

Best wishes, Sandy
  3. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Welcome to the board!!! Lots of great info and research available here. If you would like to check into (edited to remove URL) there is a list here and also if you post with the area you live in there just may be someone near you that has a great doc. knowledgeable about Fibro. There really is not a diagnostic/blood test to diagnose Fibro, they truly do have to rule out other major illnesses first. My doc. did not do these important tests 8 years ago and now another doc. is thinking that I may have M.S.
    I thought what your point in asking about African-Americans was because you feared that many docs would not give a Dx of Fibro to you if there is not a significant amount of history of Fibro within the African-American population?? Most of the polling I have heard about is that the region of the world you live in is most significant. I could be wrong; from where I live I have seen more and more folks being Dx w/ Fibro now than 8yrs ago.
    Again, welcome to the board!!!! love, Rebel
  4. Daffodildeb

Daffodildeb New Member

Greetings Sophilia!

I am Black, Native American (Choctaw) and German. Cool, huh? ;-)

I have had signs and symptoms of FMS since the age of 6 (when my father was in Vietnam), although I wasn't "officially" diagnosed with FMS until April 2002.

I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome. It took 8 years and seeing at least 20 different doctors before I received an "official" diagnosis of MVPS.

I have met people of ALL races who have FMS.

Fortunately, I have an EXCELLENT physician (who is also an ordained minister) and am doing quite well. My pain is almost non-existent (most days), though my "fibrofog" is still relatively "thick." :)

Welcome!

Blessings,

Deb :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2003]
  5. dot4erv

dot4erv New Member

Hi Sophilia, I am also african american and new to this message board. I've been dealing with chronic pain for almost 14 years now. I was dx with costochondritis while serving in the military. Since then I've have many illnesses that the doctors could never explain. Until last October I thought I was loosing my mind. That's when I was dx wtih FM. After reading more on FM things finally made a lot of sense. I was able to finally understand why I was having so much pain. Why when I was touch in certain spots I was always in pain. At this moment I don't have a doctor but I'm still learning about FM so when I do find one I'll know what to tell him.. Just keep learning as much you can and stay positive.